Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,028,615 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I was on a road trip with a friend of mine. We camped out in the back of my Chevy Blazer at rest stops and parking lots all around the country. We spent one night sleeping at Vista Point. We woke up the next day to roll out of our car all bleary-eyed and found ourselves in the middle of about 500 tourists all taking photos of the GG while we washed up and woke up in the restrooms.

I'm headed up to SF this weekend, and I wanted to sleep in the car again.

I've heard that parking at Vista Point has changed and there is now a limit of 4 hours. Does this kick in at a certain time (like 6AM or 9AM)? Can you still park all night at the rest stop and sleep or do they close off the lot nowadays? Has anyone been there recently who might be able to check the parking situation for me?

Thanks!

On a related note; what are the laws about sleeping in your car within the city limits? If I can't use the Vista Point rest stop, does anyone else have any recommendations? I was thinking about ferreting out a parking space around Cow Hollow and hopping on the Muni from there, since an OWL line runs back that way and it's not far to the FW area. I plan to be in town for 1 night, maybe 2.

Failing all that;

Any recommendations for cheap motels that won't be booked up this coming Friday and Saturday night already?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
Ocean Beach parking lot?
Marina Safeway store (open 24 hours)?

I don't know how safe all of this is.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 PM

There's no overnight parking regs at the OB parking lots? Also, some citys have ordinances against sleeping in your car... is SF one of them?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM

495 posts, read 1,827,679 times
Don't sleep in your car in San Francisco. Not safe anymore where ever you are. The freaks come out at night. I'm all for being a free spirit, have done the same myself when traveling but trust me you don't want to do it in SF at the present time.

Try a hostel. San Francisco Hostels - Hostelling International Best kept secret. $23-25 bucks a night if you don't mind sharing rooms - dorm room style with a hall bathroom usually. Bring your own pillow if you're leary of cooties. But seriously they're clean! I just usually carry my own blanket and pillow when I use hostels. And you do have to take your stuff with you every morning. For longer stays this might be a pain, but it's still a good deal I think. Actually may depend on the hostel...some have storage for your stuff.

Peace.

Last edited by redwoodlvr; 03-18-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
There's no overnight parking regs at the OB parking lots? Also, some citys have ordinances against sleeping in your car... is SF one of them?
There are a few places that have ordinances against sleeping in your car...Golden Gate Park comes to mind and I'm sure there are others city locations. SF has gotten pretty strict about it I believe. I'm no authority on the subject but I think I read about it in the chronicle a few years ago. It has a lot to do with SF's above average homelessness problem.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Hm... thanks for the advice. Don't really have the money to spare, though. I gotta wonder why it's "not safe" to sleep in my car, though? Do you have flesh-eating zombies or gangs of skinheads who are going to drag me out and beat me to death? It's not like I have anything of value. If I did, I would be staying in a hotel or hostel.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,276,003 times
Quote:
Hm... thanks for the advice. Don't really have the money to spare, though. I gotta wonder why it's "not safe" to sleep in my car, though? Do you have flesh-eating zombies or gangs of skinheads who are going to drag me out and beat me to death? It's not like I have anything of value. If I did, I would be staying in a hotel or hostel.
Nothing will happen if you sleep in your car except the police might wake you up and tell you to move. Sleeping on the street, different story.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Law enforcement is pretty aggressive with this these days...they do not like it if you're sleeping in your car okay? They will flash that big ass bright light on your car and scare the **** out of you, tap on your windowshield and welcome you to SF. If you're lucky, then you may not be woken up by them. It's not like back in the day when they could care less. There are ordinances now. Go ahead and sleep in your car if you want to. I personally am leaning more towards not experiencing stuff like this anymore in my life. I don't have anything else to share or any other advice to give.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Not trying to argue with you, redwood, I get you. It's not gonna be a restful night if I'm getting woken up by the cops, but that's better than getting beat to death or set on fire.

If I paid 600K for a loft in midtown, I wouldn't want some out-of-town crumb-bumb taking up my parking catching some Z's next to my sidewalk. I mentioned Vista Point because I think it's a freeway rest stop where that sort of thing is kosher.

I've had plenty of "welcomes" coming from the wrong side of a cruiser's spotlight, and one really scary one at the business end of a humvee-mounted M-60, so I'm still fishing for suggestions where to park to avoid that sort of thing.

Thanks for the warnings.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM

I thought about my post after I posted it. I know you weren't wanting to argue. Sorry if I came across irritated, probably reacting to your comment regarding being pulled from your car and getting beaten to death. It has happened actually, not to make jokes about it. Anyway, I realize I was projecting a little bit there. Ultimately, you'll be fine whatever you choose to do. Maybe choose the less patroled neighborhoods to park. It will probably be obvious to you if you know the city.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland