Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of the year is your favorite?
The sunny six months 14 60.87%
The overcast six months 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 AM

522 posts, read 736,521 times

Advertisements

The bay has 6 months of moderate warm weather and sunshine with two or 3 small periods of WTF HEAT, during this time the weather bounces from 70-80 or 70-90 if you're inland (not counting the rouge 100+ WTF HEAT DAY.) Directly after that we get overcast, fog, light rain, with two or small period of WTF STORM. During this time the weather bounces around 40-60 on average. Which period do you like better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 06:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
The overcast (now months) are by far my favorite. While I do enjoy sun & blue sky, I also hate the fact that it’s super dry, brown, ugly, and never rains. There are definitely perks of the weather here, but I vote for the “gloomy” weather.

Being originally from an area that receives an average of 45”-50” of rain and 15”-25” of snowfall makes me miss it even more. I miss thunderstorms, rain on a metal roof, etc...

Old 11-04-2017, 06:06 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
The bay area's weather is too diverse to lump it together.

For example, SF is cool 10 months, warm 2 months which is different from San Jose which is different from Oakland.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:01 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
The overcast (now months) are by far my favorite. While I do enjoy sun & blue sky, I also hate the fact that it’s super dry, brown, ugly, and never rains. There are definitely perks of the weather here, but I vote for the “gloomy” weather.

Being originally from an area that receives an average of 45”-50” of rain and 15”-25” of snowfall makes me miss it even more. I miss thunderstorms, rain on a metal roof, etc...
It's a lot of fun: Houston with 54 inches of rain and thunderstorm. It has high heat and humidity. San Jose weather is boring

Old 11-06-2017, 08:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
Do keep in mind that the Cloudy 6 months are not cloudy everyday like the sunny 6 months are Sunny everyday. the rainy season brings about 65 days of rain scattered throughout six months, and it's just generally more varied but with periods of rain versus sun. I suppose that makes the rainy season more interesting, but I generally prefer the warmer weather of the dry season.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
I think I like mid March-May the best. The hills are green, it isn't raining as often as during Dec/Jan/Feb, it starts getting dark later, and it's not so cold. I used to like September/October weather best, but I never want to deal with another heatwave like we had this past year again.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:33 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Do keep in mind that the Cloudy 6 months are not cloudy everyday like the sunny 6 months are Sunny everyday. the rainy season brings about 65 days of rain scattered throughout six months, and it's just generally more varied but with periods of rain versus sun. I suppose that makes the rainy season more interesting, but I generally prefer the warmer weather of the dry season.
I think it is a big stretch to call our "rainy season" 6 months long. It's generally more consistently only about 4-5 months, and even then it is not unheard of to have significant stretches with no precipitation and tons of sun (think days or even week-long stretches)...

Outside of Nov - Feb, precipitation is not as consistent. The shoulder months of October and March have some rain, but it is certainly not consistent. And there is a lot of sunshine in those months.

There's also a great deal of sunshine during the "Rainy season", too. So I have a hard time thinking of this period as the "overcast 6 months"...

The really big differences between our seasons I'd say has to do with the microclimates and how much variation there is. For instance, in the middle of the summer months, it can be 40 degrees between the foggy coast, and hot and sunny valleys of the outer East Bay. The weather in the middle of the winter is more uniform across the region (with some variation at night, with coasts being warmer than the inland valleys).

If I were to pick a favorite time of the year, weather wise, I'd go with late winter/early spring (~March-April). The skies are clean from all of the storms of winter. The grass is green. The coasts are generally clear of fog. The temperatures are starting to warm up a bit, but are still moderate enough where I can exercise outside in all parts of the region and don't have to worry about being cold or overheated. And the sun is starting to set later than the earlier months.

February can often be a really nice month, too (we seem to always have a good heatwave in mid-Feb).

Once May rolls around, the fog machine starts kicking in, and the microclimate extremes start building (and exercising in the warmer parts of the region starts becoming uncomfortable for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think I like mid March-May the best. The hills are green, it isn't raining as often as during Dec/Jan/Feb, it starts getting dark later, and it's not so cold. I used to like September/October weather best, but I never want to deal with another heatwave like we had this past year again.
This. I think our "Indian Summer" is a bit overrated...I have no desire to do anything outside in 90-100 degree heat. And the air quality is usually really bad since you're getting an offshore wind blowing from the Central Valley.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:03 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I love hot weather, but not when I don't have A/C lol

Old 11-07-2017, 07:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
Spot on. Thank you for accurate info. Because if you add up all the sunshine for the entire year, then you'll find we have some of the sunniest weather in the country, except for parts of SoCal and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think it is a big stretch to call our "rainy season" 6 months long. It's generally more consistently only about 4-5 months, and even then it is not unheard of to have significant stretches with no precipitation and tons of sun (think days or even week-long stretches)...

Outside of Nov - Feb, precipitation is not as consistent. The shoulder months of October and March have some rain, but it is certainly not consistent. And there is a lot of sunshine in those months.

There's also a great deal of sunshine during the "Rainy season", too. So I have a hard time thinking of this period as the "overcast 6 months"...

The really big differences between our seasons I'd say has to do with the microclimates and how much variation there is. For instance, in the middle of the summer months, it can be 40 degrees between the foggy coast, and hot and sunny valleys of the outer East Bay. The weather in the middle of the winter is more uniform across the region (with some variation at night, with coasts being warmer than the inland valleys).

If I were to pick a favorite time of the year, weather wise, I'd go with late winter/early spring (~March-April). The skies are clean from all of the storms of winter. The grass is green. The coasts are generally clear of fog. The temperatures are starting to warm up a bit, but are still moderate enough where I can exercise outside in all parts of the region and don't have to worry about being cold or overheated. And the sun is starting to set later than the earlier months.

February can often be a really nice month, too (we seem to always have a good heatwave in mid-Feb).

Once May rolls around, the fog machine starts kicking in, and the microclimate extremes start building (and exercising in the warmer parts of the region starts becoming uncomfortable for me).

This. I think our "Indian Summer" is a bit overrated...I have no desire to do anything outside in 90-100 degree heat. And the air quality is usually really bad since you're getting an offshore wind blowing from the Central Valley.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:04 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I love hot weather, but not when I don't have A/C lol
Hot weather is OK for the beach, boating, or by the pool where you can cool off, but I would never want to live in a place like Arizona where you can't go outside for 3-4 months because of extreme heat. And no, a "dry heat" isn't more tolerable than humid heat imo. 90 degrees is Bangkok is just as miserable as 110 in Phoenix.

The inner East Bay has some of the best weather in the world, truth be told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland