Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 100,496 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to 'California' from Manhattan NYC. Because your state is sooooo big with so much great diversity it's hard to decide. We are considering LA/OC area and the South Bay area / San Mateo & Santa Clara counties.

Is there anyone here that has lived in both? Someone that can make a reccommendation and tell why you prefer what you do?? The perspective from someone in a 'sales' profession would be especially great!

The dillemma of where to head arises out of the fact that we LOVE the beach. But also LOVE many aspects of 'city' living- restaurants, diversity, etc. (Just burned out on Manhattan ) We've been to SF and think it's 'ok'. Maybe it would grow on us more if we lived there? More than likely we will both need to live near a bigger city for work. **I estimate we'll only be making about 110-130k household income and need to rent for at least a year. Me working in sales and likely travelling all over the region and her in graphic design.

Any ideas, opinions & suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
I heard Emeryville (right across the bridge from San Francisco) is semi-expensive, but you'll be making a six figure salary, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. I honestly believe you'll like SF way better than LA. Everyone tells me it's a mini-NY. I haven't been there yet, but have been thinking about it.

YOU WILL HATE LOS ANGELES. Move here if you want to, but like I said in a previous post give yourself six months to a year (no more than that) to see if it's your cup of tea.

Good luck on finding more info on SF!!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 PM

marilyn-- is the traffic in LA county really THAT bad? I'm used to Bad-- but how BAD is it, because if it's like BAAAAAD then you're right I might not be able to handle it?
Do you drive there? What's your commute like?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 PM

39 posts, read 223,098 times
Just my .02

but I can honestly say that the weather in SF is horrid.....windy bone chilling cold in the middle of the summer is not my idea of a good time

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,989,349 times
I've lived in San Francisco ten years in the past and also on the peninsula. I do not like San Mateo or Santa Clara...the whole South Bay is unattractive, sprawling, unimaginative, and just an urban blight...IMHO. I'm not a huge fan of southern CA. either, but I must say, I do like Pasadena very much and if I were to live in southern CA, I'd live in Pasadena or choose Orange County, especially if my job were nearby.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 AM

Thanks for you opinions guys- good food for thought! We initially thought LA would be better but the whole 'traffic' thing (from what I hear) is freaking me out!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cali View Post
marilyn-- is the traffic in LA county really THAT bad? I'm used to Bad-- but how BAD is it, because if it's like BAAAAAD then you're right I might not be able to handle it?
Do you drive there? What's your commute like?
Yes dear, it's bad. The 405 and 101 are AWFUL on weekdays and some weekends. You'll spend your life living in your car.

I used to think that once I had a car I could go anywhere and do anything I wanted WHENEVER I wanted. It's not like that. All driving excursions MUST be planned in advance. Los Angeles is a very disconnected place. All of the cities do their own thing.

Like for instance, Brookyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island & Manhattan are considered the FIVE boroughs in NYC. These five boroughs are run by ONE Mayor, ONE police department, ONE fire department, etc..

In Los Angeles, it's not like that. Beverly Hills has its own mayor and police department and so does Malibu, Santa Monica, West LA, Burbank, etc.

I'll be honest, I only drove a total THREE times in NYC once I got my license. I vowed never to do it again. What would take 30 minutes on the train is literally like close to TWO HOURS by car.

Take a two week vacation out here and you'll see for yourself. Rent a car and drive to all the places you want to go to. See how long it takes for you to get there.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:24 PM

yah good idea... in NYC i'm surprised sometimes by the traffic for sure, but most of the time i know exactly what to expect and plan accordingly. It's pretty bad here. Once out of the city / like over to NJ the traffic does seem to move - so it's not that bad...the key is leaving the city and driving in the boroughs. I just want to know is LA a clusterf*ck in every direction at almost all times? Or if you are clever can you manage it without losing your mind and your life in the car?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:09 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cali View Post
yah good idea... in NYC i'm surprised sometimes by the traffic for sure, but most of the time i know exactly what to expect and plan accordingly. It's pretty bad here. Once out of the city / like over to NJ the traffic does seem to move - so it's not that bad...the key is leaving the city and driving in the boroughs. I just want to know is LA a clusterf*ck in every direction at almost all times? Or if you are clever can you manage it without losing your mind and your life in the car?
LA is a clusterf*** in all directions at almost all the times you will want to go anywhere.

If you are clever you live near your job.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:47 AM

111 posts, read 275,799 times
today oakland to san jose ... 2hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland