Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,549,441 times

Advertisements

What are good banks to use here in the Bay Area? I currently use Bank of America, but they charge me money to use other bank's ATMs. Which really annoys me when I can't find a BofA ATM.

I was thinking maybe opening an account with Wachovia, since a few of their accounts allow you to get money from 3rd party ATMs for free twice a month. But at the same time I don't want to be without a bank ATM for miles.

What about Wells Fargo, or Washington Mutual? What do people suggest?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,569,708 times
We always used B of A. I doubt if you are going to find many banks that don't charge that fee. There is usually a B of A close, and Albertsons has B of A ATM's in it.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM

495 posts, read 1,829,443 times
I'm a credit union person. I suggest you check out the San Francisco Federal Credit Union. You can join if you're a resident of SF, work for the city or someone who's a member refers you. They're not out to make a profit and you get great rates on credit or loans if you ever need them. Plus I think they're more friendly and customer service oriented than the major banks. I used to be a loyal Wells and WAMU customer, but after getting whacked numerous times in the head by them I finally switched over to a credit union. I'll never go back to a bank.

Edit: Oh hey I just noticed you're in Belmont. In this case there are tons of credit unions out there. A lot of major corps in the Bay Area have the hookup to one at least...like Patelco. Anyhow, just my opinion. I haven't had ANY problems since going to a credit union. No mysterious charges...it's nice.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:50 PM

802 posts, read 2,262,395 times
I've been pretty happy with my Wells Fargo account. They have locations all over the Bay Area. If you have a PMA account, they won't charge you to use another bank's ATM (though the other bank may charge you to use their ATM).

Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,107,018 times
Citibank has an ATM near Ralston & Alameda in Belmont, and you can also get money out at any 7-11 with no fees. I've never found myself too far from my money.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
My roommate uses Washington Mutual, and they give you a certain number of "outside ATM" withdrawals per month - 3, I think? I've been with BofA forever, and have been fairly happy... you'll find their ATMs everywhere, so the outside fees shouldn't be much of an issue. Only annoying thing is how they shut off certain ATMs at night, when they're in a bad neighborhood. I wondered why the one at Leland & Bayshore (Visitacion Valley, where I used to work) was ALWAYS "out of order" at night, and then someone clued me in. The gas station near me does the same thing, but the clerk lets me use it when I smile nicely.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,312,492 times
So Wells Fargo and Bank of America are the most represented all over the Bay area?
Something else I wanted to ask, is it best to use calling cards to be used with a regular phone to call Europe; does anyone here know?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,186,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
What are good banks to use here in the Bay Area? I currently use Bank of America, but they charge me money to use other bank's ATMs. Which really annoys me when I can't find a BofA ATM.

I was thinking maybe opening an account with Wachovia, since a few of their accounts allow you to get money from 3rd party ATMs for free twice a month. But at the same time I don't want to be without a bank ATM for miles.

What about Wells Fargo, or Washington Mutual? What do people suggest?

Thanks.
Go smaller -- we use Mechanics Bank. You get your fees refunded of other bank ATM fees -- but note -- when you take the money out, the fee is taken. At the beginning of your next statement cycle, the previous months fees are rebated.

You can also mail your deposits in, if direct deposit isn't available to you for payroll.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,549,441 times
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into them. I think I'll probably have my money split between B of A and a credit union. Which should be a good solution for the time being.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM

655 posts, read 1,980,041 times
Patelco is great, just to echo the credit union recommendation--they have a deal that waives fees on the ATMs of most area credit unions as well as any 7-11 ATM, which means you have a lot of options. Plus, they're based in SF so it's nice that they're local. (That said, their online account access is notably less tech-savvy than what the big boys use--completely functional, but very very simple.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland