Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,331,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Maybe that means people will leave the Bay Area. Im all for it.
You live like 5 hours away from the actual Bay Area. You live in a reasonably priced, depressing area. Why are you focused on people coming/going from the area if you’re not even here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 PM

882 posts, read 690,178 times
To answer the original post, it's pretty dumb to talk about a hypothetical that will be changed multiple times until it becomes law. But the media does it's thing and people just can't help themselves. It started with the 401k limit being dropped to $2400,,,that was BS. Then we had the cap on mortgage interest deductions on homes below $500k...that was BS. And now, people are parroting the idiotic talking point that people in high COL areas are being subsidized (the best belly laugh yet). Yeah, well if you're subsidizing those areas, how about this to those in other areas of the country? You stop "subsidizing us" and well keep all the tax revenue provided to you. That would be pretty funny seeing how the rest of the country would exist if they pulled out the tax revenue from states like California and New York, et al. It's just more wasted effort getting worked up over something that won't stand without a ton of modifications. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether you support the Democrats or the Republicans. If you are the Middle Class in the Bay Area (that family that earns $100k-$150k and is pretty much a replica of the $50k-$75k family in lower cost of living areas), you are simply going to be screwed.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,379,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Maybe that means people will leave the Bay Area. Im all for it.
More wishful thinking on your part. You haven't accounted for people who move to the Bay Area and will buy in.

Instead of bemoaning your sad story and hoping for a miracle - why don't you be a bit more proactive if you're really interested in being a homeowner?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,331,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
More wishful thinking on your part. You haven't accounted for people who move to the Bay Area and will buy in.

Instead of bemoaning your sad story and hoping for a miracle - why don't you be a bit more proactive if you're really interested in being a homeowner?
If he can’t afford to own a home in Arcata, then he definitely can’t afford it in the actual Bay Area. Single family homes in Arcata start at $300K-$350K (ish) where he currently is.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,088,169 times
SF Bay and New York have their own inflated currency because of insane housing prices.

I think steps that seek to correct that are for the greater good of the other metros in the USA.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:34 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,379,774 times
Here's one view - the tax proposal would actually hurt housing affordability:

Editorial: GOP budget sabotages affordable housing plans

Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 AM

698 posts, read 569,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Our corporate tax rate is way out of line with other industrialized countries and is highly anti-competitive. Even a 20% corporate rate would not put us on the lower end.
You have drunk the Kool-Aid. Phase-I of the antidote is to learn the difference between statutory and effective tax rates and then how those vary over time and across industries.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:40 AM

698 posts, read 569,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
...but you live in Arcata, why do you care if there is a mass exodus in the Bay Area?
Perhaps he's one of those envious Not-You's who didn't use Realtor.com.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Perhaps he's one of those envious Not-You's who didn't use Realtor.com.
Hahahaha that's the first time I've seen that commercial used in general conversation!

Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 PM

882 posts, read 690,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
SF Bay and New York have their own inflated currency because of insane housing prices.

I think steps that seek to correct that are for the greater good of the other metros in the USA.
Laughable. Yeah, let's penalize working families that are the equivalent to the same families in lower COL areas that make $50k-$75k. And somehow this is for the greater good, lol. Housing prices in the Bay Area have no impact on other areas of the country. I wish I knew where people get this nonsense from. Right up there with the nonsense that lower COL areas are subsidizing people in higher COL areas. Stupid, twisted logic at its finest. If it weren't for the taxes paid by people in higher COL area, those lower COL areas wouldn't be able to afford their welfare programs. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland