Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:26 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So, 25 or 50 years ago, everyone could afford to live in the city, and there was a bookstore on every corner?
The historic City Lights bookstore is still alive and kicking, that's something! And new ones have sprung up; Alexander Books, in downtown/SOMA, among others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 07:09 PM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The biggest change for the worse, of course, is the exorbitant cost of housing. SF has always had relatively high rents, but nothing like what they are today, e.g. $4,000 a month for a studio. These rents will eventually purge SF of its blue-collar workers, immigrant families, social activists and creative types, or anyone else whose focus in life is anything besides making lots of money. Some will be lucky and win lotteries for low-income housing; the rest will leave. Rent control slows the gentrification, but doesn't stop it. And the would-be new arrivals simply won't be able to live here.

So in the future there'll still be a San Francisco, but it will have lost some of the qualities that made it a special place.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers but a bit sensationalized.

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/11/2/1659...report-sf-2017

Also, if by the gentrification comment you mean slowing more affluent people from coming into a neighborhood, I believe your thinking is off. Areas with rent control are typically the most expensive in the nation as they restrict the supply of houses, driving up demand. Everyone moving in tends to be more affluent.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:48 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post

sf.curbed.com/2017/11/2/16595172/apartment-rent-report-sf-2017

Also, if by the gentrification comment you mean slowing more affluent people from coming into a neighborhood, I believe your thinking is off. Areas with rent control are typically the most expensive in the nation as they restrict the supply of houses, driving up demand. Everyone moving in tends to be more affluent.
Only one number, and I got it from my building manager -- I asked him what the rent is for new leases on studios in the building... it's an example.

I'd say your theorizing is off. High rents are what create the political momentum for rent control in the first place. Anyway, in SF, units built after the passage of the rent control law are exempt from it. What constrains the supply of new housing in SF is that nearly all the land has already been built on.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:23 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is NYC on an earthquake fault?
It actually is more earthquake prone than people realize and none of the buildings are set up for it--so they don't need a big earthquake for there to be a disaster.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not anti-growth. But turning SF into Manhattan would be quite a leap. That's not necessary, at this point.
In theory, I might agree with you. In practice, any proposal to build more housing attracts this level of vociferous hyperbole.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/11/2/1659...report-sf-2017

The numbers may be sensationalized, but the trend toward ever more unaffordable rents is unmistakable.

I took NW4me's comment about gentrification a different way. Yes, the people moving in are more affluent. But as people with rent controlled apartments die or move out of the city (for whatever reasons), the new tenants pay higher rents. Over time, less affluent people are effectively phased out through death or voluntary attrition.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
What constrains the supply of new housing in SF is that nearly all the land has already been built on.
Actually, that's not the only thing. Overly 'tenant friendly' laws also work to reduce the supply of housing. Landlords are leaving apartments vacant rather than risk renting to a tenant from hell.

Growing number of San Francisco landlords not renting | KALW

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/op...eah-right.html

Old 12-26-2017, 02:13 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So, 25 or 50 years ago, everyone could afford to live in the city, and there was a bookstore on every corner?
It’s called supply and demand... not exactly difficult to understand

Old 12-26-2017, 03:14 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Only one number, and I got it from my building manager -- I asked him what the rent is for new leases on studios in the building... it's an example.

I'd say your theorizing is off. High rents are what create the political momentum for rent control in the first place. Anyway, in SF, units built after the passage of the rent control law are exempt from it. What constrains the supply of new housing in SF is that nearly all the land has already been built on.
Using one number and then implying that is somehow the norm for an area is not exactly a scientific way of determining something and in no way represents the market value of studios in San Francisco (all that needs to be said on that).

As for rent control, it is one of many reasons that cause rents to surge. Others are zoning restrictions, environmental protection of buildings, and of course limited land. Whether or not high rents create the political momentum for rent control doesn't explain it's impact (but rather a bunch of dumb politicians that know nothing about Economics). The whole premise of rent control is that it is supposed to help the poor ("affordable housing"). And yet, if you were to look at the income level of those in rent controlled units, you would find that a large group are well above the $100k range. Rent control has little to do with helping the poor, but rather, it helps the lucky lottery winners that got in at the time (without discrimination to income level). It's no secret that rents are higher and homelessness greater in cities that have rent control. this is partly because the only housing that repays the cost of building under rent control is luxury housing, which is typically exempt. Nothing brings private housing to a halt like rent control. Ironically, the idiocy of the politicians in San Francisco added to the insanity by demanding that a low income housing structure be built for every luxury high rise built (brilliant!), further exasperating the problem. The cost of housing and rents have always been high in the city. Rent control merely made it worse.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 12-26-2017 at 03:43 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Using one number and then implying that is somehow the norm for an area is not exactly a scientific way of determining something and in no way represents the market value of studios in San Francisco (all that needs to be said on that).
This. All that figure tells us is that the poster lives in a highly desirable area, probably in or near downtown. That's not the way to get an accurate estimate of average rents in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland