Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 AM

352 posts, read 777,818 times

Advertisements

Im travelling with family and the kids during christmas dec 24 - dec 28 to the san fran area. What are some must visit places this time of year? Any places that are insane with christmas lights and decorations? Any huge malls?

I was going to travel down to monterrey one day to take the kids to the aquarium. Was going to go down Highway 1 for the scenery to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Definitely go to Union Square. Me and my kids used to love all the lights/decorations there. Be sure to stop into the St Francis hotel and Fairmi\ont Hotels where they have spectacular Christmas decor and decorated sugar and gingerbread houses. Macy’s windows have adoptable kittens and puppies in their windows too.

Last edited by clongirl; 11-29-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Downtown Pleasanton, Downtown Walnut Creek and Union Square in SF are pretty neat this time of year.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:28 PM

830 posts, read 486,094 times
I'll second Union Square. They have a big Christmas tree in the square itself, and a lot of the stores go pretty crazy with Christmas window displays. No really huge, nice malls in SF. Union Square has a lot of really, really nice stores - but it is not a mall and is instead individual stores. Lots of high-end stuff like Gucci and Tiffany, and if you are interested in either Nike or Apple, check out their stores. Heck, even if you're not into Nike or Apple, you may still want to check out the stores, since they are so incredible.

There is a small to medium sized and rather nice mall that is within walking distance of Union Square called the Westfield Mall. It is worth visiting just for the escalators. I won't say any more, since I don't want to ruin a good surprise.

You may want to check out the Embarcadero Center. It is a series of four tall office buildings with shops on the first and second floors. It is sort of an interestingly designed indoor/outdoor mall if you can imagine such a thing. During November and October, the entire buildings are lit up, and if you take the short walk from there to the waterfront, you will see the animated lighting displays on the Bay Bridge. They're not really Christmas lights, since they operate year round. Also very nearby is the ferry building, which is packed with high end gourmet food shops.

Both the Embarcadero Center and Union Square will have holiday ice skating rinks, if that holds any interest.

RE: Taking HWY 1 to the Monterrey Aquarium. The weather in the SF Bay Area is very variable. I would not suggest HWY 1 if it is raining heavily. It will take too long, and besides Monterrey is very far. You may want to dive directly to Monterrey the fastest way and save HWY1 for a sunny day if you get one. IMO, driving HWY 1 from SF to Monterrrey and taking in the Aquarium with kids in a single day might be too much. There are lot of little towns and diversions and places to stop on HWY 1 - you can get a full day just doing that and never be bored. Likewise for Monterrey. The aquarium is a full day affair, and unfortunately always too crowded, but then there is also Cannery Row, and lots of shops and scenic drives.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 PM

352 posts, read 777,818 times
OK are there must eat fried seafood, burgers, bbq places around town? Not looking for chains. I want authentic/the best Bay Area has to offer.

Lastly where are good family friendly places with great atmosphere that people gather to watch the Warriors games?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:18 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
Cliff house restaurant near the old Sutro baths- walking around there at Point Lobos is really wonderful and scenic and you can get appetizers and wine, etc... sitting in the picture windows right over the crashing surf, gorgeous view.
The hike good for the kids.

Also kids love the ice skating rink in Union Square too (there is one sometimes set up on the Embarcadero too, google it)- they are seasonal things-

also the Saturday Ferry Building (the ferry building is on the wharf, along the Embarcadero, and the building alone is a must see, wonderful for families to stroll, and theres a local fish market and an oyster bar inside- busy times there is a boy who will shuck fresh oysters and clams for people strolling by who want a snack)-
there is a huge Farmer's Market with everything California has to offer- it is a Must see (surprised it doesnt get mentioned more)-
awesome fresh baked goods and more--
here is a link-
https://cuesa.org/markets/ferry-plaza-farmers-market

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 11-29-2017 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: better link

Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Just read this the other day--might be helpful if in the Union Square area....Michael Bauer

As mentioned above--the Ferry Building is also really great for food and food shopping.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I second the advice for not taking Hwy 1 to Monterey. It will take too long and once you get there, you can enjoy the view, and drive along the ocean once you get closer to Monterey. I'd take Hwy 101 to 156, which takes you to Hwy 1 just north of Monterey. I used to drive that route often, as my daughter used to live and work in the Salinas/Monterey area.

You can walk along the coastal trail right from the Monterey aquarium for one mile to Lover's Point. There are park benches and restrooms there.

https://www.cityofpacificgrove.org/l...creation-trail

Or, just drive along Ocean View Blvd to Pacific Grove which has a lot of Victorian buildings and nice shops. You can jump onto the famous 17 mile drive right there, too. There's a toll to drive on the 17 Mile Drive. I found their website and it's $10.25/vehicle now. It says you can get that reimbursed if you spend $35 at certain restaurants. I haven't driven it since it was free, many years ago. Time flies.

https://www.pebblebeach.com/17-mile-drive/

There's a nice city beach in Monterey right by easy city parking at the wharf, for walking on the pretty white sand, without having to climb down any hills to get to the water, like along the coastal trail around Pacific Grove.

So, you'd have options to walk on easy beach, walk along the cliff above the water, or just drive by the ocean if the weather's too cold, etc.

Cannery Row has some fun shops, too, if you'd be into shopping, though it's kind of a dark warehouse inside. The wharf has some fun touristy shopping and restaurants.

Have a great trip.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:56 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've lived here forever but a few years back I ended up on a double decker bus tour in SF just before Christmas. It was really a fun and easy way to see a lot of lights and sights. Sometimes I have to do the tourist stuff to appreciate what's around here since it's not part of my usual routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland