Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, let's break it up. I think the problem here is that the original thread is asking about overrated cities, but it's turned into a conversation about over-priced cities. Obviously, Cupertino is not overpriced because it has a prime location that people are willing to pay for. But for the price you pay, it is overrated for what you get. Overrated and overpriced are two completely different things. And sadly, the Bay Area is not overpriced, because there are still plenty of people willing to pay the prices. But in many parts, it is perhaps overrated, because you are paying so much for so little in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 10:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg10556 View Post
i think the entire bay area is overrated and over hyped
10-4

Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Okay guys, let's break it up. I think the problem here is that the original thread is asking about overrated cities, but it's turned into a conversation about over-priced cities. Obviously, Cupertino is not overpriced because it has a prime location that people are willing to pay for. But for the price you pay, it is overrated for what you get. Overrated and overpriced are two completely different things. And sadly, the Bay Area is not overpriced, because there are still plenty of people willing to pay the prices. But in many parts, it is perhaps overrated, because you are paying so much for so little in return.
Concord is a prime example. A typical slumburb, very overrated.

A rundown declining mall, ghetto and trashy locals, boiling hot summers, no job centers, awful schools, murders and shootings every year.

The only value is that it is an hour bart ride from SF. People pay 600k for 1970's tract shack! I would not want to be found DEAD in Concord, let alone alive.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
My definition of overrated and overpriced is different from you, unless i misunderstood you.

For me...

Over-rated has nothing to do with price. If a food truck selling $5 hot dogs has been hyped up by everyone, like "YEAH MAN IT'S THE BEST THING EVER" and I wait 5 hours in line and the taste is just okay to me, I'd say, that place was over-rated.

Over-priced has nothing to do with being over-rated. If I went to a place selling $20 hot dogs, I'd say, that place was over-priced.

It is possible for a place to be both over-rated and over-priced though. For example, I think San Francisco is over-priced but not over-rated, I think Monterrey is over-priced and over-rated and in 2018, there is no city in the Bay Area that I think is NOT over-priced. Just because a restaurant sells $1,000 bottle of wines, doesn't mean it's not over-priced because people buy it.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

A rundown declining mall, ghetto and trashy locals, boiling hot summers, no job centers, awful schools, murders and shootings every year.

The only value is that it is an hour bart ride from SF. People pay 600k for 1970's tract shack! I would not want to be found DEAD in Concord, let alone alive.
I used to commute from Concord to SF on BART, it's 40 minutes... lol

You sound so ridiculous. The Sunvalley Mall is declining, as is every mall, so that's not shocking. Ghetto locals? Concord isn't ghetto at all, especially by Bay Area standards. There are jobs in Concord, and even more next door in Walnut Creek, also this is a suburb of San Francisco, arguably the most prosperous city in America at this point. And it's normal for people to commute from Palo Alto to SF and back, which is further from SF than Concord is. LOL. When it comes to crime, Concord's violent crime rate is BELOW the national average, and its property crime rate is higher than it should be, but it's not insane, and it's definitely nothing shocking by Bay Area standards. Actually, among cities with populations of 100k or more in the bay, Concord is the among the safest. So, in other words, what the hell are you talking about? I don't live in Concord by the way, I used to, and your description is delusional.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I used to commute from Concord to SF on BART, it's 40 minutes... lol

You sound so ridiculous. The Sunvalley Mall is declining, as is every mall, so that's not shocking. Ghetto locals? Concord isn't ghetto at all, especially by Bay Area standards. There are jobs in Concord, and even more next door in Walnut Creek, also this is a suburb of San Francisco, arguably the most prosperous city in America at this point. And it's normal for people to commute from Palo Alto to SF and back, which is further from SF than Concord is. LOL. When it comes to crime, Concord's violent crime rate is BELOW the national average, and its property crime rate is higher than it should be, but it's not insane, and it's definitely nothing shocking by Bay Area standards. Actually, among cities with populations of 100k or more in the bay, Concord is the among the safest. So, in other words, what the hell are you talking about? I don't live in Concord by the way, I used to, and your description is delusional.
I wouldn't say Sunvalley is declining at at all, it's actually managed to reinvent itself and stay pretty well visited by adding restaurtants (Lucille's, BJ's Brewhouse) and entertainment (Round 1). It's vacancy rate doesn't appear to be high and all the major departments stores you hear closing around the country and region (Sears, Macys, and JC Penny's) Sunvalley has never been slated to be one of those locations. It's just an average middle class mall that keeps chugging along fine imo.

Some people on this site just have a chip on their shoulder and some weird obsession with Concord, it's pretty funny to see these angry off the wall rants though.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM

I grew up in Walnut Creek and was often in Concord, so I'm surprised anyone would think of it as being super ghetto. It's generally more working-class and middle-class, but compared to Richmond or Oakland, it's practically Mayberry. There are Pockets to avoid, but there are also parts near the southern border to Walnut Creek and the Southeastern border to Clayton that have very nice homes in outstanding school districts, and the city has been we're developing nicely. The downtown around Todos Santos Plaza has a nice selection of restaurants, The Willows shopping center has completely remodeled and added lots of trendier tenants, and the brand new Veranda shopping center is slowly opening, which is a rather high end Center with a huge movie theater.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My definition of overrated and overpriced is different from you, unless i misunderstood you.

For me...

Over-rated has nothing to do with price. If a food truck selling $5 hot dogs has been hyped up by everyone, like "YEAH MAN IT'S THE BEST THING EVER" and I wait 5 hours in line and the taste is just okay to me, I'd say, that place was over-rated.

Over-priced has nothing to do with being over-rated. If I went to a place selling $20 hot dogs, I'd say, that place was over-priced.

It is possible for a place to be both over-rated and over-priced though. For example, I think San Francisco is over-priced but not over-rated, I think Monterrey is over-priced and over-rated and in 2018, there is no city in the Bay Area that I think is NOT over-priced. Just because a restaurant sells $1,000 bottle of wines, doesn't mean it's not over-priced because people buy it.
I think we're on the same page, except with regards to my point that nothing is ever objectively overpriced if that's what people are willing to pay, only subjectively overpriced. I think you and I can agree that much of the Bay Area is subjectively overpriced because to us, it doesn't seem worth the cost. Cupertino may have a great commuting location, but it doesn't offer a particularly exciting lifestyle. I agree that San Francisco is overpriced but not underrated, as it's one of the world's greatest and most iconic cities. But I would never choose to live there because I would be unhappy with housing options in my budget. I do think Walnut Creek has traditionally been a very underrated City because people have until recently dismissed it despite having one of the nicer and more upscale downtown areas in the region, along with Performing Arts, natural scenery, state parks, and a warm sunny climate. But to me, even that is overpriced for what you get. In any case, the conversation about location and housing values should have never been in this thread about being overrated or underrated.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So basically according to your logic no places on earth can be overpriced correct? There are differences between every community so no place according to your rather simple and narrow minded logic cannot be overpriced. By your logic the Bay Area isn't overpriced at all! You agree with that?

Have you ever hear the phrase "one person's trash is another person's treasure?" If so do you actually understand what it means? If you actually do then you should be able to understand the rather simple concept behind this thread. Everyone else that has commented on what they think is overpriced/overrated on this thread seems to get this. So you're basically saying they're all wrong too?

I've never seen someone so offended and defensive from calling their community overpriced.
Correct. The thread was about ratings...and about things being under or over-rated. Nobody is saying Cupertino is some amazing hotbed of excitement. There is no over-rating. Literally nobody is giving it a rating it does not deserve. You got on a pricing kick, and hijacked the topic into "over-priced".

The school district is exceptionally well-rated, so its correctly rated...not over-rated....and that alone is a big part of the premium that is being paid. Again, its correctly rated given the alternatives available.

Cupertino is exceptionally well located with regards to proximity to tech jobs - therefore to the extent someone is "rating" that, it is also correctly rated, not over-rated.

Quote:
Your post doesn't help address the confusion. When you say Overrated for what you get - that isn't really a thing. OverPRICED for what you get (value) is a real thing. You've just done what you said had been done to the thread by the hijackers changing the topic to pricing instead of rating or value. Which you admit is correctly done. The argument should be over at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

I do wonder what the pricing would be like if it had no BART station - I wonder what percentage of jobs held by Concord residents are actually in SF or other parts of the area reached by BART.

Quote:
I think we're on the same page, except with regards to my point that nothing is ever objectively overpriced if that's what people are willing to pay, only subjectively overpriced. I think you and I can agree that much of the Bay Area is subjectively overpriced because to us, it doesn't seem worth the cost. Cupertino may have a great commuting location, but it doesn't offer a particularly exciting lifestyle. I agree that San Francisco is overpriced but not underrated, as it's one of the world's greatest and most iconic cities. But I would never choose to live there because I would be unhappy with housing options in my budget. I do think Walnut Creek has traditionally been a very underrated City because people have until recently dismissed it despite having one of the nicer and more upscale downtown areas in the region, along with Performing Arts, natural scenery, state parks, and a warm sunny climate. But to me, even that is overpriced for what you get. In any case, the conversation about location and housing values should have never been in this thread about being overrated or underrated.

But who said it DID? Nobody!

Well that is probably true.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Correct. The thread was about ratings...and about things being under or over-rated. Nobody is saying Cupertino is some amazing hotbed of excitement. There is no over-rating. Literally nobody is giving it a rating it does not deserve. You got on a pricing kick, and hijacked the topic into "over-priced".

The school district is exceptionally well-rated, so its correctly rated...not over-rated....and that alone is a big part of the premium that is being paid. Again, its correctly rated given the alternatives available.

Cupertino is exceptionally well located with regards to proximity to tech jobs - therefore to the extent someone is "rating" that, it is also correctly rated, not over-rated.
Well since you don't believe anyplace can be "overpriced" then it's probably best to avoid posts that talk about it since it's outside your real of comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland