Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's seriously worth $1K+ per square foot for an average post war tract home?

Silicon Valley is honestly the most overpriced place on earth. $1-1.5K per square foot for lame post war suburbia that isn't even scenic! You're basically paying SF, NYC/Manhattan, Paris, La Jolla, etc...prices to live in dull suburbia that's basically the techie version of Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek. At least Marin County prices make somewhat more sense, it's scenic and bucolic at least.
Well, some of us who were here for awhile didn't pay anywhere near those rates.

And to a lot of us - this place is home, warts and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divis Page View Post
Posts like these make no sense, calling thing overrated and over hyped are always based around some non sense. Usually because you can't afford it so you're mad. Oakland is NOT more affordable, in Fact Oakland is very expensive.
1. The whole subject of rating in your opinion is what the op is asking for.
2. Based on nonsense? I don't get it. People tend to bring in valid points and while opinions, still valid to them.
3. Can't afford it and are mad about it? That's one of the dumber things I see here. It's the catch all defense of people that get easily offended by people who bring up valid criticisms of the state that they have no answer for. Plenty of people can afford a Porsche, it doesn't mean they own them or like them

Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, some of us who were here for awhile didn't pay anywhere near those rates.

And to a lot of us - this place is home, warts and all.
I had no idea you live in Palo Alto. I love that Area. For some reason I always thought you lived in east San Jose by the foothills.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Just to point out how silly this thread is overall, I'm going to list Palo Alto as the most 'overrated' Bay Area city. So there!

Old 01-05-2018, 03:10 PM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Quote:
That's seriously worth $1K+ per square foot for an average post war tract home?

Silicon Valley is honestly the most overpriced place on earth. $1-1.5K per square foot for lame post war suburbia that isn't even scenic! You're basically paying SF, NYC/Manhattan, Paris, La Jolla, etc...prices to live in dull suburbia that's basically the techie version of Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek. At least Marin County prices make somewhat more sense, it's scenic and bucolic at least.
Have to agree with this. Silicon Valley feels like older parts of north Orange County -- bad city planning, suburban/urban sprawl, strip malls, 60s tract homes. I can't imagine being very happy paying that much money to live in an area like that.

Marin County is possibly the most beautiful county in the state, and well worth the high price tag, if you can afford it.

As for underrated cities, I would definitely say Walnut Creek has traditionally been off the radar for most Bay Areans, but as of late, the millennials have suddenly discovered it, and it seems to no longer be underrated. I see a lot of articles or blogs about, 'Who knew Walnut Creek had so much stuff?' and of course the answer is, everyone who's lived there for the past 20 years!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Walnut Creek is appropriately rated. I'm not in love with it, but it's got upscale shopping, a lively downtown area, and decent access to SF via BART. If anything, Pleasant Hill would be underrated since it's a big step up from Concord, and a small one down from WC. San Leandro imo is probably the most underrated Bay Area city I can think of in the East Bay though.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Walnut Creek is appropriately rated. I'm not in love with it, but it's got upscale shopping, a lively downtown area, and decent access to SF via BART. If anything, Pleasant Hill would be underrated since it's a big step up from Concord, and a small one down from WC. San Leandro imo is probably the most underrated Bay Area city I can think of in the East Bay though.
Most of Concord is just as nice as Pleasant Hill. It probably has more areas like PLeasant Hill than PLeasant Hill does.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
The thing is those cities can be found in any state, usually multiple cities in each state at a fraction of the price, that's why they are over-rated in my opinion. San Francisco is a unique city, can't be found anywhere else, still over-priced, but it's unique, so I can see it costing a lot more than average. Pleasant Hill, Concord, Dublin, even Walnut Creek can be found in every state and at a much cheaper price.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The thing is those cities can be found in any state, usually multiple cities in each state at a fraction of the price, that's why they are over-rated in my opinion. San Francisco is a unique city, can't be found anywhere else, still over-priced, but it's unique, so I can see it costing a lot more than average. Pleasant Hill, Concord, Dublin, even Walnut Creek can be found in every state and at a much cheaper price.
So can Palo Alto and especially Cupertino... Excluding weather and topography so can SF for that matter.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
So can Palo Alto and especially Cupertino... Excluding weather and topography so can SF for that matter.
This ^^^^

There’s always going to be towns/cities that are similar (as similar as they can be, given location), that are much cheaper with great amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland