Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Hi sfca30,

I'm basically your polar opposite over here on the East Coast (NYC metro area) so just wanted to chime in with some perspective from this side. I'm in a similar position, having moved to NJ/NY 5 years ago to work in the IT industry here, now seriously considering a move to the Bay Area.

Many of my reasons for wanting to leave NYC, are similar to yours, but mostly center around better opportunities in the specific tech field I work in/opportunity to work in innovative fields. However, I'm no stranger to San Francisco either, having spent about a year consulting there. For example, I would say that (from my own observation) while there's definitely a homeless crisis in NYC, it in no way compares to that of the Bay Area. And, while I don't have any qualms about walking around NYC alone, or the major transit terminals, I've been legitimately scared to walk around parts of SFO alone, much less drive. Maybe it's just because I'm not a local, but it seems like minding your own business is no guarantee that you won't be approached or threatened. It happened to me on a couple occasions, and after that I always felt a bit uneasy. I'm assuming people just learn to deal with it and that the vast majority of the homeless population (like NYC) is not violent.

Anyway, I guess my general point is that if you're looking for cleanliness, better public transit and fewer crowds, you probably won't find it in NYC or most of the major East Coast cities like Boston, DC etc. But, on the other hand, I've never had any qualms about walking around the NYC to/from work and generally felt safe in the city, with few exceptions.

Best of luck to you.
I feel so much safer in NYC, and it felt cleaner. I was jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Can't say I disagree with much of what you said, but you do know that a similar thread was just opened that is pretty similar that you could have just chimed in on.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...rea-raise.html
There are quite a few "I'm leaving the Bay Area" threads. But some people just have to start their own - "look at me - listen to ME !!!"

No, I am not planning on leaving. If you are unhappy, then leave if you think it will make you happier. Does OP really need validation from anonymous internauts?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfca30 View Post
A lot of interesting responses! If I had to live in a major city, I'd definitely prefer most anything in the Northeast more than San Francisco.

By fast pace I mean, not taking an hour to get my food/coffee, not lingering on the sidewalks, people being a bit more courteous on public transit (that's a HUGE problem here, imho, and in NYC people are very helpful). One thing that really irritates me on BART is that people do not wait for others to get off before they dash onto the train. In NYC it's a common courtesy. I find the east coast in general more fast paced when it comes to these kind of things, more punctual.

NYC accommodates their large population as much as they can. SF (And particularly it's public transit) has acted like our population hasn't changed since 1970. All making for more crowded roads, more crowded trains, and more stress.

I find the atmosphere to be unpleasant all around. Political correctness and passive aggressiveness also out of control over here.
If you think lines in NYC are shorter than SF, you are going to be disappointed. Unless you mean stoves cook faster there??? Who lingers on the sidewalk? Homeless people??? Never noticed the courteous part. Interesting, I'll try to pay attention but, since I don't care, probably won't. Besides, less people here so it is not as much of a problem.

I do agree that we think small here. For example, building to accommodate the current and incoming population in the Bay Area is seen as violence to some. The passive aggressive social justice warriors get on my nerves but it is best to just ignore them. It's only that they are loud, not that they are the majority. In Oakland, where I live, I think many of them have been priced out. We haven't had one of their stupid protests in a long time... Hope I didn't just jinx it. LOL

Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
There are quite a few "I'm leaving the Bay Area" threads. But some people just have to start their own - "look at me - listen to ME !!!"
This^

There should be a single thread for these kinds of whiney posts..

Quote:
No, I am not planning on leaving. If you are unhappy, then leave if you think it will make you happier. Does OP really need validation from anonymous internauts?
Yes.

Dont talk about. Be about it.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM

850 posts, read 796,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfca30 View Post
When I came to San Francisco nearly ten years ago in 2008, there was a lot I liked. The year-round mild weather and escape from summer humidity was really good for me. Beautiful scenery, lush winters, etc. Made some good friends over that time frame (most of whom who have now left the city). The place wasn't perfect (higher than average homeless population, etc) but I liked it.

Fast forward to 2018, and I can't wait to leave. I am looking to move to the east coast. There are a number of reasons why I want to leave and I wanted to post here to see if anyone has had similar experiences. I understand that my experience with the city may be unique and not everyone will agree, etc.

Some background-- I'm a conservative Republican in the most liberal city in America. This alone doesn't bother me too much as I have lived in very liberal areas my entire life. No where, however, did I experience such hostility and hatred based on political views. Conversations that aren't one sided simply aren't welcome here. Having to keep my political views silent in order to maintain friendships is not a good thing.

The homeless situation here has always been bad. But in recent years, it has gotten progressively worse with no signs of ebbing. Many streets and sidewalks are filled with overflowing trash cans with trash spread out across the street. The Civic Center BART station smells, has a severe problem with loiterers and extremely deranged individuals all over the place (and no one seems to care). This wasn't always the case. In 2008, when I first moved here for example, Civic Center BART was clean in comparison.

Quality of life seems to have diminished all over the place. Ridiculously high rent for a city I no longer love. Crime is up significantly all around, and I no longer feel very safe walking in certain parts of town. My neighborhood has deteriorated in this department.

I am seeing more and more vacant storefronts everywhere, years go by, despite massive population growth, and areas of Market St for example remain totally vacant. Imagine if the theater district area had bustling restaurants, clubs, coffee shops, and beautiful apartment buildings instead of stereo and shoe stores and check cashing stores. I feel like the city invites this.

Population has grown significantly since I first moved. The sidewalks are very crowded pretty much everywhere I walk, and if you want to get a seat at Peet's and Starbucks it's a challenge.

I do not understand why San Francisco doesn't seek to have clean roads, clean neighborhoods, and safe communities. I've been to a lot of places, with politics and policies similar to San Francisco's, and never have I seen a city this unclean.

Muni and BART are absolutely embarrassing. Trains still look like 1970, no new Muni trains, delays in getting the new BART trains operating, slow transit. The city is still operating as if our population didn't have exponential growth in the last decade.

Simply put, I no longer feel a reason to live here. I don't feel happy here. Part of the reason I have resisted moving in the past couple of years are the close friendships that I have developed with people here.

I must say, however, there are a couple of things that are obviously outside of San Francisco's control. One of which is, of course, the weather. I used to love the fog, the breeze, and cold nights. The last couple of years, and especially the last year, that's all gone away. We've had ridiculously sunny days along with extremely warm summer/fall season, and with most of the city refusing to get air conditioners, and apartment buildings not allowing air conditioners(!), it makes the experience all the more miserable.

One more thing to add, the city is just too slow paced for me!

Maybe life is good for people who have a nice Victorian in the Marina, but even if I had the means for that, I don't think I'd choose to live here anymore.

Is anyone else considering leaving San Francisco (or the greater Bay Area) for the same reasons? Different reasons? Has anyone left and felt good/bad about it?

Thanks for indulging!
If you can afford it I would stick it out. Good friendships is something Im struggling with here in AZ.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post

Exactly. Just tired of it. If you don't like it - just LEAVE, please. Let the rest of us enjoy it.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM

411 posts, read 719,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. Just tired of it. If you don't like it - just LEAVE, please. Let the rest of us enjoy it.
On the other hand, it's a message board that's meant to encourage or at least allow ppl to express their thoughts or seek advice. If you don't like a thread, you can ignore it rather than responding.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 PM

244 posts, read 180,874 times
Hope you find happiness wherever you go next.

From what I gather, though, most issues you are describing are due to SF being a global hub of economic activity. At least the cost, overcrowding and the staggering wealth inequality you will probably find in all other US cities of similar caliber, such as NYC, DC, LA or Seattle. Even the liberal thing seems to correlate with how active the area is in terms of modern economy.

I strongly suspect that whatever more traditional and orderly place you will find will have considerably less economic opportunity than SF. If you are in a position to make that trade, all the power to you! Sometimes I daydream about a day when I can downshift my career and move somewhere "nicer" myself.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
On the other hand, it's a message board that's meant to encourage or at least allow ppl to express their thoughts or seek advice. If you don't like a thread, you can ignore it rather than responding.
Well, I'm doing exactly that, expressing my thoughts. I usually ignore these sort of threads, but once in awhile, I'll weigh in as marcopolo66 has done.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 PM

882 posts, read 688,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I'm doing exactly that, expressing my thoughts. I usually ignore these sort of threads, but once in awhile, I'll weigh in as marcopolo66 has done.
Ah, but there's a difference. When I made my post, it was basically in agreement with what 18montclair was saying (without the sarcasm). I think there are a lot of topics like this, that keep getting regurgitated, that could be put in one post (and at the time of the posting of this thread, there was one very similar thread just a couple of notches down). The San Diego forum has one for the high cost of rentals and real estate (i.e GET REAL About San Diego Rental and Real Estate Prices) . I pesonally think that would be a great idea for this forum. However, I think one would take your comment as wanting censorship (which is not what I'm advocating). Nor should anyone.

"Exactly. Just tired of it. If you don't like it - just LEAVE, please. Let the rest of us enjoy it."

What does his comment have to do with your enjoyment of San Francisco? You can't enjoy it just because someone else doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland