Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:06 PM

576 posts, read 568,223 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in the San Francisco area next weekend. Sunday I was thinking of heading out either to Muir Woods or Roaring Camp Railroad. Looking for suggestion on which. I will be staying downtown Saturday night, but may move to a hotel closer to the airport Sunday night. So I might pick up a car Sunday morning or not. If I go to Muir Woods it sounds like there are a lot of tours available.Any suggestions? I am only really interested int eh scenery and Muir Woods itself, not so much the history or shops.But it would be nice to have someone else drive so I can finally see the scenery. I want enough time in the woods, but I also don't want some guided hike trying to cover as much mileage as they can in one hour.

Also, what should i plan on for dress?I keep hearing how cold it can get, but then again I am at a point now where the teens are light sweater weather and 20s are downright balmy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 04:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Muir Woods is quite beautiful. However, be forewarned - its proximity to San Francisco means that parking can be very difficult. My understanding is that the National Park Service has now set up a parking reservation system for MW.

Alternatively, you can also take a shuttle to Muir Woods. I'd check out the Park Service website for details.

Roaring Camp is probably less impacted in terms of parking and visitors, but you'd be advised to also make plans in advance for which train time you want to do, to avoid being disappointed when you get there.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You'll have to make reservations for the Roaring Camp train tour. Check their website to see if there are any spots still available for next Sunday. Buy your ticket online in advance. Give yourself plenty of time to drive down there and enjoy the view on the way, on Hwy 1.
https://www.roaringcamp.com

Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
If you do decdie on Roaring Camp, make sure you drive highway 1, the gps will want to take you on the freeway.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
I would go with Roaring Camp railroad. Next to it is Henry Cowell Redwood State Park. You can park in one place and walk around both Roaring Camp and take short trails through the redwoods. Henry Cowell Redwoods SP $10 to get into the park and park your car all day.

I would dress in layers for cool weather.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Go to Roaring Camp, but as others have said, make reservations.

Both are incredible places, but...

1)Muir Woods is so packed it is virtually impossible to enjoy. A walk in the woods there can literally feel like entering/exiting a stadium, the way you are just herding along with others.

2) The magic of the trains through the woods cannot be beaten.

3) The drive to Roaring Camp from SF is indescribable. Take the 1 and see the coastline, or go the 17 though the hills and woods. You can also take the 35 to the 9--the 9 is a tortuous lost highway of sorts, but it is worth it in and of itself to just for the magnificence of the drive.

4) Both have lots of other things to do when you are done. Muir Woods is by Sausalito and of course SF and the Golden Gate. Try to see Point Bonita Lighthouse while you are out there:

As for Roaring Camp, when you are done, push on to Santa Cruz, the most fun place on earth!

If you are not having a good time in Santa Cruz, you are probably already dead.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I've been to both, but it's been maybe 15 years ago. I would recommend MW but not if you have to deal with parking traffic. I did the train but I don't remember it being that impressive. I do agree that the view from highway 1 is fantastic. Maybe stop in Davenport for lunch.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:17 AM

576 posts, read 568,223 times
I have a big problem with heights. So driving those "skyline" type roads doesn't give me the opportunity to really do much sightseeing as I am usually clenching the steering wheel looking straight ahead. That is one of the reasons why I was initially thinking Muir Woods, as that means I can let someone else do the driving.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I have a big problem with heights. So driving those "skyline" type roads doesn't give me the opportunity to really do much sightseeing as I am usually clenching the steering wheel looking straight ahead. That is one of the reasons why I was initially thinking Muir Woods, as that means I can let someone else do the driving.
I understand. If i can see a steep drop, i get uncomfortable.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:43 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post

Maybe you should have mentioned this phobia in the Op, it makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland