Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
What difference does it make if Asians are moving to the Bay Area? Hasn't the Bay been an Asian stronghold for more than a century now?

I mean...these aren't even refugees but high skilled immigrants. Asians are probably moving to the Bay for the same reason programmers from the Midwest and East Coast are but, somehow, it's different when it involves Asians. I'm just not getting it.
It really depends which Asian group is moving into a neighborhood whether it "matters" or not. By group I don't refer just to which ethnic group they belong, but their attitude and how they keep up their property or not.

And I can tell you for certain that they are not all highly-skilled or educated, as there are often parents that come over that seem not to have been educated, and they do not work at all. The houses in my neighborhood are not the huge, multi-generational McMansions, so the parents seem to be housed separately.

One of the best neighbors (renters) we used to have on this block was a very nice 30-ish, obviously well-educated Indian engineer, his wife and their newborn baby. They were really ideal neighbors, though we never really got to know his very shy wife. He paid to have the yard of the property they rented professionally maintained. He spoke excellent English and was congenial. He cared what happened in the neighborhood. I was sorry they moved away.

We also have one house across from us with a similar couple to the Indians, but they are Chinese. This young couple are both friendly, we wave at each other, and they maintain their property well. I'm happy to have them as neighbors. I think at least one of them must have become an American citizen recently, because a new American flag was flying for about a month and the wife had an ear-to-ear smile on her face a few days during that time period.

However, we also have some older Chinese in several of the houses who are real pains in the A$$. One neighbor cut down a gorgeous, mature street tree. The guy just sneers when we see him. A few doors down is another old Chinese woman in a household where they all scream-speak in Chinese so loudly they sound like sirens. She has a fit if someone (not us, as we always park in the garage) parks a car across the street from the house where she lives. I don't know if she bought or rents, but all of the new owners on the block have Chinese names. In any case, she doesn't try to assimilate in the least and no one likes her.

So, with 50% of the Asian neighbors here nice and 50% really awful, and with no other group but Asians moving in, call me skeptical when older, non-English-speaking Chinese move into houses on my block. So far none of the scowling Chinese oldsters has shown themselves to be good neighbors.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-02-2018 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 12:06 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It really depends which Asian group is moving into a neighborhood whether it "matters" or not. By group I don't refer just to which ethnic group they belong, but their attitude and how they keep up their property or not.

And I can tell you for certain that they are not all highly-skilled or educated, as there are often parents that come over that seem not to have been educated, and they do not work at all. The houses in my neighborhood are not the huge, multi-generational McMansions, so the parents seem to be housed separately.

One of the best neighbors (renters) we used to have on this block was a very nice 30-ish, obviously well-educated Indian engineer, his wife and their newborn baby. They were really ideal neighbors, though we never really got to know his very shy wife. He paid to have the yard of the property they rented professionally maintained. He spoke excellent English and was congenial. He cared what happened in the neighborhood. I was sorry they moved away.

We also have one house across from us with a similar couple to the Indians, but they are Chinese. This young couple are both friendly, we wave at each other, and they maintain their property well. I'm happy to have them as neighbors. I think at least one of them must have become an American citizen recently, because a new American flag was flying for about a month and the wife had an ear-to-ear smile on her face a few days during that time period.

However, we also have some older Chinese in several of the houses who are real pains in the A$$. One neighbor cut down a gorgeous, mature street tree. The guy just sneers when we see him. A few doors down is another old Chinese woman in a household where they all scream-speak in Chinese so loudly they sound like sirens. She has a fit if someone (not us, as we always park in the garage) parks a car across the street from the house where she lives. I don't know if she bought or rents, but all of the new owners on the block have Chinese names. In any case, she doesn't try to assimilate in the least and no one likes her.

So, with 50% of the Asian neighbors here nice and 50% really awful, and with no other group but Asians moving in, call me skeptical when older, non-English-speaking Chinese move into houses on my block. So far none of the scowling Chinese oldsters has shown themselves to be good neighbors.

You can say that about any neighbor of any ethnic group. Some are good, some aren't so nice. And maybe the language barrier might be an issue.

I'm just tired of this crap.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:21 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You can say that about any neighbor of any ethnic group. Some are good, some aren't so nice. And maybe the language barrier might be an issue.

I'm just tired of this crap.
But you apparently don't mind reading things like "Asian cities tend to be nicer than white cities anyway," do you?

One thing I guarantee you is that the type of behavior I have experienced with the old, loud-mouthed Chinese neighbors I described would never have occurred with older Japanese, regardless whether they were born here or in Japan.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-03-2018 at 01:39 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
But you apparently don't mind reading things like "Asian cities tend to be nicer than white cities anyway," do you?

One thing I guarantee you is that the type of behavior I have experienced with the old, loud-mouthed Chinese neighbors I described would never have occurred with older Japanese, regardless whether they were born here or in Japan.
Well, I think the above comment about "Asian cities tend to be nicer than white cities" is really a subjective statement and isn't really grounded in fact. Depends what you prioritize. Depends on what you value. And maybe, it's about affordability and lack thereof.

If you're talking about Asian cities in Asia, I actually dislike Beijing because it's gotten way too big and overbuilt, even though the economic standard of living for its residents has improved in a lot of ways, but the traffic and air pollution is awful. It's lost a lot of its distinctiveness. Just came back from a bus trip and left as soon as I could.

Now for communities in the US with a sizeable Asian community, it's more about income and socioeconomic levels and your personal preferences. Some folks like Daly City for its proximity to the City and, yes, the availability of Asian foodstuffs. Of course, the housing stock is older and more dense. Cupertino may be attractive to some but others deride it as a sterile suburb with no city center.

Maybe you need to ask Asian Americans who actually LIVE in these communities why they like or don't like them. We can really discount folks like Dave Coe who love to post stats and graphs about demographic changes, and advocate a very ethnocentric position, yet doesn't have any skin in the game because he doesn't even live in the area.

Well, for Japanese, it's kind of a moot point - there aren't a lot of them, whether Japanese or Japanese Americans (who are mostly 2, 3 or 4th generation). The latter group has been dispersed by the internment experience in WWII - which wiped out the Japantown communities. Only 3 are still in existence, SF, San Jose and Los Angeles, and there are actually very few J-As still living in those places.

And that old, loudmouthed behavior you love to complain about ain't limited to older Chinese people. How about Italian Americans in the tri-state area? And these are mostly US born ones, if not all.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-03-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 25,032 times
Quote:
...call me skeptical when older, non-English-speaking Chinese move into houses on my block. So far none of the scowling Chinese oldsters has shown themselves to be good neighbors.
While at the Taiwan National Museum, I couldn't help but notice that there were people shouting across the room. They seemed to talk constantly. My father-in-law leans over and tells me, "You know they're tourists from mainland China when they shouting at each other like that." I guess they tend to be on the louder side. It didn't bother me because I tend to have those audio tour headphones on but father-in-law was getting really irate. So I guess it's not just you. Much of China is still "developing" so it's expected to come across some Chinese "rednecks".

Quote:
Yeah, what you get instead is some wicked passive aggression and bottled-up anger. When you least expect it, they might throw you under the bus. I prefer direct and unambiguous communication.

You also get some really abrasive men like Hattori Hanzo from the movie Kill Bill. My dad is pretty much that guy -- very stubborn and difficult to work with. He has a very fragile ego and lacks critical thinking skills. He's essentially a Japanese "redneck" from a super rural area and most Japanese today would think he's very rough around the edges. He's been in the US since 1975 so he hasn't kept up with the changes in mainstream Japanese culture (i.e. he is a human time capsule). Hattori Hanzo | Kill Bill | Know Your Meme

People are wacky.....

Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygg View Post
While at the Taiwan National Museum, I couldn't help but notice that there were people shouting across the room. They seemed to talk constantly. My father-in-law leans over and tells me, "You know they're tourists from mainland China when they shouting at each other like that." I guess they tend to be on the louder side. It didn't bother me because I tend to have those audio tour headphones on but father-in-law was getting really irate. So I guess it's not just you. Much of China is still "developing" so it's expected to come across some Chinese "rednecks".

Yeah, what you get instead is some wicked passive aggression and bottled-up anger. When you least expect it, they might throw you under the bus. I prefer direct and unambiguous communication.

You also get some really abrasive men like Hattori Hanzo from the movie Kill Bill. My dad is pretty much that guy -- very stubborn and difficult to work with. He has a very fragile ego and lacks critical thinking skills. He's essentially a Japanese "redneck" from a super rural area and most Japanese today would think he's very rough around the edges. He's been in the US since 1975 so he hasn't kept up with the changes in mainstream Japanese culture (i.e. he is a human time capsule). Hattori Hanzo | Kill Bill | Know Your Meme

People are wacky.....
Hah, I've been to the National Palace Museum in Taipei lots of times. Once we saw some older local Taiwanese folks visiting, whose mannerisms might be considered "country bumpkin" who talk loudly. I mentioned that to my mother, and we both concurred that at least it was a good thing that they're interested in perusing art and culture in the first place.

Also there are regional differences in China in terms of mannerisms. Northerners tend to be a lot more direct and straightforward in their approach than, say, Southerners or Shanghainese.

And Israelis are well known for their bluntness.

Passive aggression can also be said of folks in Minnesota - the famous Minnesota Nice demeanor can also mask that. Or even for folks in the Deep South. "Bless your heart" is NOT a complimentary remark.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Bird View Post
It doesn't matter what people may think racism is. Racism is a real thing, the new tactic is to trivialize racism in order to support racism. Make fun of "race cards" or throw around some civil rights activist to make a person look like they are crying wolf. There is work place, housing and all sorts of racism that affects people daily. Getting called names isn't it, it's the encroachment of your life based on your "race" that's the racism. Here you are saying you'll just move if some morons try to harass your family. SMH.
It's the 50th anniversary of MLK's assassination and we're going to be hearing really sanitized versions lionizing him, particularly by persons who opposed or would have opposed King's positions and policies.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 PM

16 posts, read 25,032 times
Quote:
So that's your answer, pack your tail and run away from racists. That's not very manly of you and doesn't set a good example for your kids. You would let some ignorant scum run you out of your home to another area? That's pretty sad, stand up for yourself.
Wise ninja once said, "Don't fight a fight you can't win." Put your mask on before you attempt to help others. Sometimes you just need to get out of dodge because there are more important things in life or better ways to influence people.

Manly? Uhhh.....are we in some kind of Spaghetti Western movie with John Wayne? Hold on...I need to go crack open another brewskie.....on my forehead....and then eat the aluminum can afterwards..... Sorry, I can't take this seriously.

Quote:
What is "Black Washed"?
I'm a big fan of blues/jazz (particularly Django and Hendrix). I like underground hip hop -- mostly older stuff tho like Tribe or People Under the Stairs. I watch a bunch of freestyle rap battles (Grind Time, etc). Admittedly, that's just pop culture and some silly stuff -- I don't claim to be an honorary Black just because of these things. I'm just trying to say that I don't live in a bubble.

Quote:
Racism is a real thing, the new tactic is to trivialize racism in order to support racism. Make fun of "race cards" or throw around some civil rights activist to make a person look like they are crying wolf. There is work place, housing and all sorts of racism that affects people daily. Getting called names isn't it, it's the encroachment of your life based on your "race" that's the racism. Here you are saying you'll just move if some morons try to harass your family. SMH.
I don't disagree! I'm not trying to trivialize racism at all. What I am trying to trivialize are the fragile feelings resulting from one rich group seeing things differently from another rich group. Instead of agreeing to disagree and engaging in civil discourse, I just see a bunch of emotionally-clouded "I know you are but what am I?" type responses.

Within the context of the OP's post (we do try to stay on-topic), I'm roughly saying that there are bigger problems in the world (e.g. overt and violent racism all over the world). Seriously. Boo hoo, the Pattersons and Steinbergs are moving away because they don't feel at home around my kind. Or boo hoo, I need to drive by a Ranch 99 on my way to Arby's -- if I get a whiff of dim sum I'm moving to Idaho.

You suggest that I man up and coerce people to fit my ideological moulds. I suggest that you man up and look inwards for confidence. Don't make your life about seeking validation and acceptance from others because you'll be sorely disappointed. Some people just don't like you. It's better to get over your insecurities rather than constantly trying to change others. And keep fighting the good fight.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygg View Post
Within the context of the OP's post (we do try to stay on-topic), I'm roughly saying that there are bigger problems in the world (e.g. overt and violent racism all over the world). Seriously. Boo hoo, the Pattersons and Steinbergs are moving away because they don't feel at home around my kind. Or boo hoo, I need to drive by a Ranch 99 on my way to Arby's -- if I get a whiff of dim sum I'm moving to Idaho.

You suggest that I man up and coerce people to fit my ideological moulds. I suggest that you man up and look inwards for confidence. Don't make your life about seeking validation and acceptance from others because you'll be sorely disappointed. Some people just don't like you. It's better to get over your insecurities rather than constantly trying to change others. And keep fighting the good fight.
Exactly. That message needs to be given to folks like Dave Coe who doesn't like these demographic trends.

And I am unapologetic about certain neighborhoods becoming more Asian in composition. So what? I like having to not drive to Chinatown from the Peninsula to get certain foodstuffs. And I like that my daughter can feel comfortable in her own skin and just be herself - and not be teased about her ethnicity (because there are a lot more kids just like her). I'll take that.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:56 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
It all started in San Francisco from the Richmond District to the Sunset District and the eastern part of SF. Now that prices are out of control they have spread to the peninsula from South SSF, San Bruno and the prices there are now over a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland