Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,637,689 times

Advertisements

I would give you the advice when I was given when starting off. You can always work from home down the road and Silicon Valley will open a lot more doors. My chosen career was actually finance/consulting. I had an offer that would have sent me to a top Southern metropolis and another one for NYC. I was told – “get NYC on your resume and you can do anything you want after that.”

This has been great advice. I wouldn’t be where I am right now if I had gone to the southern metropolis. Going to NYC was by far the best thing for my long-term career. Going to the southern metropolis would have been penny-wide/pound-foolish.

You will be getting paid a lot of money. Working at SV at the beginning of your career will open a lot of doors. I also don’t think that your first job should be work from home. Maybe you think it fits your personality, but it is important to create professional friends/network early in your career. That will help you progress down the road. Working from home might be too isolating and set your for failure down the road.

If I were in your shoes, I would choose Bay Area and not even think twice about it. I did that when I was 22 and it was the best decision career-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,256,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
I would like to add that Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina are similar to California. Not politically, but as far as topography. My personal favorites are Alabama and North Carolina.
I've been to GA and NC (in fact, we have family in NC and spend weeks there), but I see zero similarities in the topography and landscape. NC feels like central European countryside to me, certainly not Mediterranean. It's a real four seasons, wooded landscape out there.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 AM

665 posts, read 612,763 times
Not sure where you are in your career path, but you could make an argument for both options. With either option, come with a game plan to attack each situation and an exit strategy. Don't be afraid to adjust along the way.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 PM

72 posts, read 81,629 times
...One good thing about working remote is that you can live literally anywhere, including SF, maybe even 5 minutes away from your office... Another good thing, if you don't like it, you can move to other place, anytime you like.

Last edited by Novatoman; 02-27-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 12:58 AM

88 posts, read 89,611 times
I currently work from home.

If I was single and under 30, I'll choose the SF job for $165k. You can then look for a remote work from home job that pays more than $165k 2 years later.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
I mean, I say do it since you're only young once.
You won't want to live in SF when you've got family and need to save money (but save what you can right now regardless)

On the other hand I just don't know what the singles scene is like in SF. People are really phony/shallow and have obnoxious liberal attitudes. If you can handle bonking obnoxious chicks that typify everything wrong with modern society, I say go for it.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_Researching View Post
My two cents: take the remote job and move somewhere without state taxes and has a decent nightlife (like Las Vegas NV, or Houston or Dallas TX). That way your money will go further, the cost of living would be cheaper (well, cheaper than the Bay Area), and when you want/need to interact with people, you can enjoy that city's nightlife and activities.
Reno, Austin, and Fort Lauderdale would be my top tax-free picks.

Probably not in that order. I'd have to really think about it.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 PM

165 posts, read 196,644 times
95k you can buy a house, or 2 or 3 and enjoy the appreciation. You'll built up side income which will allow you to actually retire some day. 165k in SF is actually below new grad pay btw (they start at 200k now).

Old 03-16-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
95k you can buy a house, or 2 or 3 and enjoy the appreciation. You'll built up side income which will allow you to actually retire some day. 165k in SF is actually below new grad pay btw (they start at 200k now).
This is not correct.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 AM

12 posts, read 16,083 times
Long term career potential-> SF
Heart -> Seems to be remote for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland