Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:46 PM

165 posts, read 196,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
This is not correct.
I have seen grads getting 300k offers but those are rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Even though SF is expensive, you can still do more with 165k in SF than 95k in most other places unless you want to own a house, but it sounds like that isn't your top priority.

However...it also sounds like you'd just plain be happier to from home and aren't sold on being in the Bay Area. So if that's the case, then the offer to work remotely will probably be worth it for you. (And 95k elsewhere is no slouch.)

Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM

505 posts, read 502,484 times
If I had the same offer and me being 25 and just in the first few years of beginning my career - I would take the SF job without hesitation. So many opportunities for networking and growth that would be vital for your career development.

However, if it was later in life and I already had an established career - then the remote option for sure.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:17 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Hi All,

Wanted to follow-up on this thread. I ended up taking the gig in SF. I've been here for close to two months now. Job has turned out to be pretty decent. Well known tech company. Excellent benefits. Interesting problems to solve.

Coming to the Bay Area has showed me that:

1. I just don't care to live here. I don't hate the place, but I'm not crazy about it either.

2. The $165k salary doesn't go as far as I thought it would after CA taxes have been taken out and my rent is paid for. The real advantage is in the bonus and stock I receive. If I were to stick to this current gig for 1-2 years I can easily pay off my debts and have some extra money for savings and investment.

3. The networking opportunities here are as good as any place I've ever been. I've had at least 5 companies reach out to me over the last month since I moved here and changed my linkedin profile to show Bay Area residency. I've also met a ton of people from Google, MS, Facebook, and many other well known companies.

But, after 1 month I can't say that I'm happy with the decision to pass on the remote gig. It is clearer now more than ever that I would prefer the freedom of working anywhere I want.

I now have another remote opportunity in my grasp, that would pay be even more than the first.

Last edited by usamathman; 10-14-2018 at 02:29 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 07:52 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hi All,

Wanted to follow-up on this thread. I ended up taking the gig in SF. I've been here for close to two months now. Job has turned out to be pretty decent. Well known tech company. Excellent benefits. Interesting problems to solve.

1. I just don't care to live here. I don't hate the place, but I'm not crazy about it either.

2. The $165k salary doesn't go as far as I thought it would after CA taxes have been taken out and my rent is paid for. The real advantage is in the bonus and stock I receive. If I were to stick to this current gig for 1-2 years I can easily pay off my debts and have some extra money for savings and investment.

3. The networking opportunities here are as good as any place I've ever been. I've had at least 5 companies reach out to me over the last month since I moved here and changed my linkedin profile to show Bay Area residency. I've also met a ton of people from Google, MS, Facebook, and many other well known companies.

But, after 1 month I can't say that I'm happy with the decision to pass on the remote gig. It is clearer now more than ever that I would prefer the freedom of working anywhere I want.

I now have another remote opportunity in my grasp, that would pay be even more than the first.
When I saw your topic today, I was going to post that you should take the Bay Area job, and use it as a springboard to get a remote-work job later, after you've experienced the Bay. And working for whoever you're working for in the Bay will look good on your resume, too. You can have both-and, it doesn't have to be an either-or decision, as you've now discovered. Give us updates, when you do move on to your remote-work option.

Get out and enjoy nature around the Bay, too, to get a good feel for the place. Check out Big Basin redwood park, in Santa Cruz County, check out Marin County beaches and redwood forests. Check out the redwood park in the Oakland hills. Heck, take a small vacation to explore Santa Cruz & the county (we can advise you as to sights to see), and another one for Marin and Sonoma. And another one to explore the North Coast, and its parks. Get the most of your California experience, before moving on.

With a remote-work job, you could relocate to Europe for awhile.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:28 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I could have warned you but the SF cheer leaders would have swarmed in and argue that SF is the greatest place on earth.

SF is overrated on most everything.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:20 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When I saw your topic today, I was going to post that you should take the Bay Area job, and use it as a springboard to get a remote-work job later, after you've experienced the Bay. And working for whoever you're working for in the Bay will look good on your resume, too. You can have both-and, it doesn't have to be an either-or decision, as you've now discovered. Give us updates, when you do move on to your remote-work option.

Get out and enjoy nature around the Bay, too, to get a good feel for the place. Check out Big Basin redwood park, in Santa Cruz County, check out Marin County beaches and redwood forests. Check out the redwood park in the Oakland hills. Heck, take a small vacation to explore Santa Cruz & the county (we can advise you as to sights to see), and another one for Marin and Sonoma. And another one to explore the North Coast, and its parks. Get the most of your California experience, before moving on.

With a remote-work job, you could relocate to Europe for awhile.
Great suggestions Ruth. I kinda feel bad about even considering another gig after just moving here. But at the end of the day, my happiness is in my hands.

Going to look into taking a couple of trips before the year ends to explore surrounding areas.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Great suggestions Ruth. I kinda feel bad about even considering another gig after just moving here. But at the end of the day, my happiness is in my hands.

Going to look into taking a couple of trips before the year ends to explore surrounding areas.
You only just moved to the area; give yourself a chance to get to know it. Sure, traffic is bad, BART has seen better days, etc., but you should get some enjoyment out of the area before you move on. You've barely scratched the surface. Best wishes with your choices for future career growth, though!

Old 10-14-2018, 02:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You only just moved to the area; give yourself a chance to get to know it. Sure, traffic is bad, BART has seen better days, etc., but you should get some enjoyment out of the area before you move on. You've barely scratched the surface. Best wishes with your choices for future career growth, though!
I think the longer he's here the more he will be disappointed in the Bay Area.

Sure there are awesome places to visit but after that your right back in the Bay Area dealing with CA and Bay Area antics.

If he can work remotely I would recommend working on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe (no state income tax and silly CA laws and fees) and enjoy stunning nature 24/7. Taking trips to CA would be a breeze living in that area.

One thing he's about to experience here during elections with respect to raising taxes. People who will not be affected by these tax raises are allowed to vote on these raises. In other words people with less income are voting on taking more of his income to give to the state. That's the craziest thing I've ever experienced since moving here.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-14-2018 at 03:21 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think the longer he's here the more he will be disappointed in the Bay Area.

Sure there are awesome places to visit but after that your right back in the Bay Area dealing with CA and Bay Area antics.

If he can work remotely I would recommend working on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe (no state income tax and silly CA laws and fees) and enjoy stunning nature 24/7. Taking trips to CA would be a breeze living in that area.

One thing he's about to experience here during elections with respect to raising taxes. People who will not be affected by these tax raises are allowed to vote on these raises. In other words people with less income are voting on taking more of his income to give to the state. That's the craziest thing I've ever experienced since moving here.
Well, OP said he wanted to live in Atlanta or the midwest, not NV. I was only thinking, that he may as well give himself some time to enjoy the best parts of the Bay, before he abandons it. But if he's getting job offers that need to be decided promptly, then he should take the offer that best suits him, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland