Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times

Advertisements

Litter breeds more litter. The fwys are disgusting with 6ft tall weeds, trash, graffiti crappy roads. If the state ignores its infrastructure why should the population put in any effort to keep it clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:50 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is spot on! I grew up in Houston and just returned from a 4 month stay there and was amazed at how clean and trash free Houston is...Texas is strict on people trashing the land which is why Texas has the slogan..."Don't Mess with Texas". That slogan is a warning to not throw your trash about the land.

The Bay Area seems to be full of folks who have no issue with filth and garbage all around the city, freeways, streets, beaches and parks. It takes a very sick society to see nothing wrong with filth and garbage in a supposed advanced country.
Houston ranks dirtier than SF

https://www.bbcleaningservice.com/di...n-the-usa.html

I've heard anyone describe Houston as a clean city,

Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Houston ranks dirtier than SF

https://www.bbcleaningservice.com/di...n-the-usa.html

I've heard anyone describe Houston as a clean city,
This is a total crock. That link is a joke and not credible in the least. Amazing how people don't know how to discern credible from non-credible links.

Have you ever been in DT Houston? To post this rubbish tells me that you have not.

You don't see trash along the feeders of any highway in Houston...here in the Bay Area it's a common sight.

You won't find trash and filth in any park but here in SF it's a common sight.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Litter breeds more litter. The fwys are disgusting with 6ft tall weeds, trash, graffiti crappy roads. If the state ignores its infrastructure why should the population put in any effort to keep it clean?
Its interesting that Houston has no state income tax but SF has one of the highest in the nation and refuses to clean up the filthy Bay Area with the tax money it collects.

The homeless here are the main culprits trashing the area...but since they don't have to abide by any laws or be held accountable for their behaviors this mess will never be cleaned up with a government that ignores these issues.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
This is a total crock. That link is a joke and not credible in the least. Amazing how people don't know how to discern credible from non-credible links.

Have you ever been in DT Houston? To post this rubbish tells me that you have not.

You don't see trash along the feeders of any highway in Houston...here in the Bay Area it's a common sight.

You won't find trash and filth in any park but here in SF it's a common sight.
Why? Because you disagree with it? I'm sure Downtown Houston is clean, its basically a glorified office park. But that's a rather small section of the city.

Top 10 Dirtiest Cities with this list:

America's Dirtiest Cities | Travel + Leisure

Old 03-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why? Because you disagree with it? I'm sure Downtown Houston is clean, its basically a glorified office park. But that's a rather small section of the city.
No because I lived in Houston for most of my life and just returned from a 4 month visit there and I have lived in the Bay Area for the past 10 years.

There is no comparison between the two areas with respect to the filth and garbage you see.

OK let's use your link. Do you realize that SF is only 46.87 mi² and that Houston is 627 mi²?

According to your first link let's look at the Litter stats for both cities.

Litter Score
  • Houston: 210
  • San Francisco: 210
San Francisco is 13 times smaller then Houston however you see SF has the exact same Litter score.

It's not rocket science.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
No because I lived in Houston for most of my life and just returned from a 4 month visit there and I have lived in the Bay Area for the past 10 years.

There is no comparison between the two areas with respect to the filth and garbage you see.

OK let's use your link. Do you realize that SF is only 46.87 mi² and that Houston is 627 mi²?

According to your first link let's look at the Litter stats for both cities.

Litter Score
  • Houston: 210
  • San Francisco: 210
San Francisco is 13 times smaller then Houston however you see SF has the exact same Litter score.

It's not rocket science.
Okay and you’re just one person and one opinion. Surveys sure seem to disagree with you though.

That list was by metro genius. Did you think there is a city out there called “Riverside-San Bernardino”?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:51 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
I grew up in the 4th largest city in the US (Houston)...to this day downtown Houston is one of the cleanest cities I have ever stepped foot in. The difference is people here care about having a clean city, people here care about not having needles, people shooting up in broad daylight, people pitching tents and sleeping on public land/public benches, people defecating on sidewalks and porches.
It's all there in downtown Houston, it's just they're more out of sight and out of mind when most people who go there drive in from the burbs, and the office workers use the tunnels beneath the riffraff on the street. That's why it's empty. Somebody taking a dump on the street stands out a lot more in that environment than it does in San Francisco.

I was more likely to find a pile of turds behind a building, out of plain sight, like behind the store in Montrose where I used to work.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's all there in downtown Houston, it's just they're more out of sight and out of mind when most people who go there drive in from the burbs, and the office workers use the tunnels beneath the riffraff on the street. That's why it's empty. Somebody taking a dump on the street stands out a lot more in that environment than it does in San Francisco.

I was more likely to find a pile of turds behind a building, out of plain sight, like behind the store in Montrose where I used to work.
I walked to Jones Hall from blocks away when I was in town recently...and observed the same clean Houston that I've always known. Parts of Montrose have always been gritty.

I also watched a friend play at Sambucca again parking blocks away and walking to the venue...no filth as what you find in SF.

I have walked all around the Theater District and it's cleaner than any big city I've visited.

The bike trial along Allen Parkway is clean compared to what you will find in SF's best parks.

The link in the opening post is accurate. I would love to see you come here and take photos like you did of Houston many years back. Those photos were great! I have tons of photos of the homeless issues and huge dumps they create and damage and destruction they do to pubic land and pubic property.

Check out this video and see the difference between Houston and SF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phrGhz4depY

The only thing that shocked me on my recent trip back to Houston was the huge homeless encampments along the underpass of 45 in DT. I have never seen this at the level I observed last month while in Houston. It's what you see all over CA but here it's a larger epidemic.

Being homeless does not give you the right to trash the city/public land or destroy it with filth, needles and human excrement.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Its interesting that Houston has no state income tax but SF has one of the highest in the nation and refuses to clean up the filthy Bay Area with the tax money it collects.

The homeless here are the main culprits trashing the area...but since they don't have to abide by any laws or be held accountable for their behaviors this mess will never be cleaned up with a government that ignores these issues.
Unfortunately, our state does not allocate its resources well, but also keep in mind that state taxes don't go towards cleaning up individual cities.. I think it's an uphill battle that can never be properly handled. You can clean it up, but it'll be dirty again the next day. In fact, I'm sure like most cities, there's probably a weekly street sweeping in San Francisco when possible.

As it was mentioned, there are apparently now homeless encampments by the Freeway in Houston. I've seen the same in Orange County, which also did not used to exist. And San Diego's homeless population has exploded in recent years, with block after block full of 10th and cabinets on the Eastern Fringe of downtown. It's simply become worse and worse all over the country. I think we need to get a handle on the root causes of homelessness on a national level and try to figure out how to reduce those populations in every city, which will be the only long-term way to reduce trash. Giving a littering fine to a homeless person is ineffective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland