Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not really. CA is the economic engine of the wealthiest nation in the history of humanity.
LOL you think just because CA has a high GDP that this equates to being successful even when California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. when cost-of-living is combined with income levels., high numbers of homeless, bassackwards infrastructure, unfriendly businesses model, ridiculous housing costs, crumbling education system and a bloated government pension system that's not sustainable, highest personal state income tax and a state government that misappropriates funds? That's truly laughable and sad at the same time that so many CA pomp pomp wavers have no clue what they are talking about. You can wear rose colored glasses all day long but that won't erase the facts.
Quote:
That's sounds like pretty good evidence to me,
It's clear to me that you have no clue what a successful state is.
Quote:
Basically all of this is untrue. CA does not have the "highest number of homeless people"
Oh my bad. It ranks 3rd right behind New York. California has the third highest rate nationally with 34 in every 10,000 people in the state experiencing homelessness.

Two states are worse off: New York and Hawaii.

Not impressive for your claim of being the "most successful place on the planet".
Quote:
"worst public schools"
I suggest you look up the stats vs. simply flinging out unsubstantiated claims that show you have no idea what you're talking about.

2017: State Report Cards Map

California
C- (69.9)

Again, not impressive for your claim of being the "most successful place on the planet".
Quote:
"highest personal income taxes"
I suggest you do some homework...you're missing a lot of facts. California is the only state with a double-digit tax rate for the highest earners, topping out at 13.3%.
Quote:
"worst infrastructre and roads".
Wrong again. It helps to have your facts straight when posting on a public forum.

'This is the worst I have seen': California's roads are in dire shape, says former Caltrans director

California’s roads are some of the poorest in the nation and rapidly getting worse

California leads the nation in deficient bridges and was near the bottom in eight of 11 categories in the most recent report of the Reason Foundation’s highway performance and cost-effectiveness rankings.

Quote:
It does have the second highest housing costs, which is a very good thing. Housing costs are a direct result of desirability.
False. California’s High Housing Costs: Causes and Consequences

This is what you consider to be "most successful place on the planet"?
Quote:
Homeowners obviously benefit from housing price appreciation, and most people are homeowners.
Economics 101. Nearly 70 Percent Of Residents Can't Afford To Buy A Home In Calif.: Study

Quote:
The home-ownership rate has trended down from its 60.7% peak in 2006 to its present level.
California homeownership is certain to languish below California’s historical rate of 55% for years to come. This is due to several factors, including the rise in mortgage rates which began in Q4 2016. Also holding down homeownership is the lack of new residential construction, which has failed to keep up with population growth for the past decade, contributing to the rapid price growth beyond the reach of most homebuyers’ incomes.
California’s low homeownership rate to continue

Again, not impressive for your claim of being the "most successful place on the planet".
Quote:
Given you just parroted a bunch of bizarre and laughably false Fox News/Russian Times propaganda, I'll take the criticism in stride.
Nothing I mentioned was parroted from any of the crap that you just tried to ascribe to me. I have lived in CA since 2009 and I am well aware of the status of things here. It's clear you don't live in CA.

Study: California has worst 'quality of life' in the nation

It's clear you have no idea what a successful city or state is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 03:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's clear you have no idea what a successful city or state is.
If California is that bad, why are you living here? I doubt that anyone is forcing you stay in a state that causes you such angst

Old 05-14-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If California is that bad, why are you living here?
None of your darn business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I doubt that anyone is forcing you stay in a state that causes you such angst
You call it angst but I call it wanting to live in reality and work to find solutions vs. the same broken record of just tax the rich and throw money at it like you only have to offer.

When posters come here and paint an unrealistic view of CA I think it's appropriate to show them the truth.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Can someone recap what can be done and what is being done?

Why does the public not get a say in how to solve this problem?

Why does the public not demand that misallocated monies be coughed back up and that resources actually go to solving this problem?

WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE PUBLIC BATHROOMS AND HAND-WASHING STATIONS? DUH!

Other countries do this!

We are so backwards.

I am starting to hate the U.S. with a passion.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:08 PM

And where are the GARBAGE CANS?

This is just stupid.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
And where are the GARBAGE CANS?

This is just stupid.
You can thank the moron mayor Gavin Newsom. He thought removing half of the SF's thrash cans would reduce thrash!

A Decade After Gavin Newsom Pulled SF's Trash Cans, Ed Lee Brings (Some Of) Them Back: SFist

"It was June of 2007, when then-San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom declared "We have too many garbage cans in the city," and ordered SF's Department of Public Works to remove half of the city's on-street trash containers. The cans' removal, Newsom said, would help "reduce litter in the city by 50 percent over the next five years,"

Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Trust me the homeless and drugged up junkies never use garbage cans to toss their trash in.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:17 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why does the public not get a say in how to solve this problem?
We do, to some extent, it's called voting, but unfortunately in CA the choices are limited and politicians rarely do half of what they promise during campaign season.

Quote:
Why does the public not demand that misallocated monies be coughed back up and that resources actually go to solving this problem?
You mean fight against corruption? In CA?! Good luck with that. BART can misallocate like nobody's business and cry for more money to "fix" the problem and the voters here will actually give it to them.

Quote:
WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE PUBLIC BATHROOMS AND HAND-WASHING STATIONS? DUH!
Because they've done that before and it didn't work. The "homeless" used it for well... not their intended purpose. You'd not only spend a bunch of money to build them, but then you'd also have to hire security to man them and make sure they're not being used improperly, clean them, etc.

Quote:
Other countries do this! We are so backwards.
We are not those other countries. Our culture is a mix of millions of people who don't even share the same cultural values. In Japan, society has enough respect for their environment and fellow citizens to pack their trash and take it home. In other countries littering is seen as normal. What's culturally accepted in India is not accepted here. This is the dumbest argument.

Quote:
I am starting to hate the U.S. with a passion.
Ok? Bye then.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:02 PM

What kind of values do homeless American's have? Most people who immigrated to this country had/have basic manners - why do homeless people wantonly throw their trash around? This one issue could be solved with trash cans every 25 feet or whatever. It's not that hard.

On the restroom issue: Yes, build them and "man" them with armed guards (lol - just kidding, kind of). Do "man" them (pay someone $10 per hour to deter people from doing bad things in them).

On that note: Hire some of the homeless people to clean up the city! Pay them $10 per hour to do so, and pay them daily. I think this was being done at one time, right?

Old 05-15-2018, 01:04 PM

Here's an idea for a social experiment: Have a team of sociology students adopt a block and see what they can do to clean it up. First, have them analyze and document the problem - then, have them implement solutions and give a report on their findings.

And I am not kidding, but no university is smart enough to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland