Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
If only I had implied that we shouldnt offer same benefits, you would have a point. My point was that the federal/state government should help us with funding and services for those that are not from SF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, point taken I apologize. But can you imagine the chaos it would create? Local agencies would probably be bribing or threatening the homeless to get them to claim they came from somewhere else so the feds would pay for them.

My personal opinion; this is a national crisis and HUD should be required to pay for and build shelter for the homeless AND provide assistance to all working Americans who have to pay more than 50 or 60% of their gross salary for rent. If we can bribe farmers with 12 billion dollars to keep them complacent over the tariff fiasco, why can't we spend some $ on things that matter to the majority of us.
Good thoughts and contributions all around. I would note that, in the case of SF’s out of area homeless, only about 8% are from out of state. The other approximately 22% are from neighbor cities and counties as close as Oakland and San Jose, and other cities further but still in-state.

So, on the one hand, the call for SF to shoulder the burden for that total 30% is unfair, yes ... but mostly it should be the state addressing the inequity.

That said, it certainly IS an over-arching national problem.

Time to transition from growth oriented consumer economic modeling to sustainability modeling that encourages population decline as automation increases ... and Universal Basic Income equally supplemental for all based on the increased productivity of the AI that will be increasingly shrinking the workforce ... thus increasing homelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, point taken I apologize. But can you imagine the chaos it would create? Local agencies would probably be bribing or threatening the homeless to get them to claim they came from somewhere else so the feds would pay for them.

My personal opinion; this is a national crisis and HUD should be required to pay for and build shelter for the homeless AND provide assistance to all working Americans who have to pay more than 50 or 60% of their gross salary for rent. If we can bribe farmers with 12 billion dollars to keep them complacent over the tariff fiasco, why can't we spend some $ on things that matter to the majority of us.
I agree with everything you said.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
I have a feeling if Trump and the Feds get involved in the homeless situation in CA the citizens of SF area aren't going to be too happy. Trump is not known to be a bleeding heart.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:26 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Watching from NYC....what the hell......

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-25-2018, 08:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I have a feeling if Trump and the Feds get involved in the homeless situation in CA the citizens of SF area aren't going to be too happy. Trump is not known to be a bleeding heart.
But I thought the GOP was all about mental health

Old 07-25-2018, 09:48 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
But I thought the GOP was all about mental health
Ahahahahaha ... GOP ... Trump ... mental health ...

Old 07-25-2018, 10:56 PM

292 posts, read 428,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I grew up in the 4th largest city in the US (Houston)...to this day downtown Houston is one of the cleanest cities I have ever stepped foot in. The difference is people here care about having a clean city, people here care about not having needles, people shooting up in broad daylight, people pitching tents and sleeping on public land/public benches, people defecating on sidewalks and porches.

We have laws against the behaviors you find in SF and we have a police force who does their job.

There something very wrong with a city and the people who live in that city, who simply ignore what you see destroying SF.

Apple and oranges. Houston does not have the amount of homeless people as SF does. If they did, you would find the same problems there.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
True but their behaviors can be shaped by the society they exist in. For example here in Houston you would not find them shooting up in broad daylight as you see in SF...it would not be tolerated here and they know it.

Houston does not allow people to sleep on public sidewalks and benches during business hours...you see it all day long in SF.

How a city enforces it's laws will shape homeless behaviors. The homeless in SF know the laws don't apply to them and that the police will never arrest them for breaking laws.

Maybe Houston, and you, need to grow a heart. People need to rest and sleep. It is not illegal to be homeless. Your posts make me sick.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
This is outrageous to allow illegal immigrants the right to vote for SF city school board members. Unreal!!!

Non-citizens legally register to vote in San Francisco school elections

Why is it outrageous?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:

San Francisco's 'poop problem' and homelessness crisis is so dire that the city's new mayor said she saw 'more feces' on the city's streets than she's ever seen

This issue was being talked about back in 2013 and today it's being talked about. As long as the city does nothing about the homeless, drugged up soulless humans and overall culture that tolerates this crap nothing will change.

Why Is There So Much Human **** on the Streets? — The Bold Italic — San Francisco

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession about feces. Maybe you would like it better in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland