Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 04:35 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

There is a reason why SF forum is covered in threads about homeless, human waste, and needles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes ... and what Ghengis doesn’t grasp is that anyone who is incapable of controlling their check can/will have it withheld and applied for them to basics by authorities ... doesn’t take much thought to figure these things out ... but then some folks just aren’t inclinded to think past their preconceived biases and notions.
Now you're going beyond basic income, onto the government paying for their housing and other expenses if they spend their money poorly. Presumably with some kind of subsidized housing like Section 8. So we end out with a system where the poorest and most reckless, like heroin addicts, have their basic needs provided by the government, and everyone else gets a fat monthly check. The first part seems pretty reasonable actually, but I don't think the second part is needed. I do not wish to contribute to the bankrupting of the US.
Free money always sounds nice but eventually the debts become due.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:38 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Except that no one who makes those decisions gives a hoot about what you are ok with. And you can't force the homeless to move to another area no matter how badly you want to put them on a barge floating around the pacific it just isn't going to happen.
Boohoo, and none of them care if you want it. This is a forum to discuss topics you know, so I have the right to say I don't want it and vote against it. The rest of you Bernie fans can keep living in your utopian dreamworld.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:37 AM

37 posts, read 31,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You clearly have not been "all over San Francisco" because there are only a few areas impacted by homeless people on the streets.
Nor would I want to. I saw enough enough to not even care to "explore all over". The city is a dump. Plain and simple. Most disgusting place I've ever been in my life. I have no desire to explore other areas based off of what I saw and will never return. I couldn't get to the airport fast enough. Like I said in my original post, I'd rather go back to Iraq or Afghanistan than San Fran.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Nor would I want to. I saw enough enough to not even care to "explore all over". The city is a dump. Plain and simple. Most disgusting place I've ever been in my life. I have no desire to explore other areas based off of what I saw and will never return. I couldn't get to the airport fast enough. Like I said in my original post, I'd rather go back to Iraq or Afghanistan than San Fran.
Interesting. Personally, I’ll never forget how beautiful Vietnam is ... in spite of the pockets of devastation I was immersed in 50 years ago.

The City isn’t a dump. Your limited observations are.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:36 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
I love it... a guy from a state best known for opioid addiction and black lung calls San Francisco a dump

Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 AM

872 posts, read 595,262 times
You would love it- making a city a dump is success for the liberals and they want to steal more money to make it worse!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
You would love it- making a city a dump is success for the liberals and they want to steal more money to make it worse!
In your opinion, for what reason would liberals "love" dumpy cities?"

Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Use prisoners to work simple jobs for the city to help pay for their room and board. Another simple fix to combat prison costs. And as many people like to say, it doesnt have to make money for it to be worth it. Getting these people off the streets improves the community. I’d only run for president, mayor is too low of a position. Plus I’d rather live in DC than SF, lol.
What about the city workers who already do those jobs, and are union protected? Are you prepared to deal with a sudden increase in unemployment, union lawsuits, and hundreds of formerly-hard-working people collecting unemployment insurance until *however long*?

Not to mention the liability costs of putting prisoners on the streets, even if it's just for xx hours per day. And there's a reason my (county) library doesn't accept court-ordered volunteers... it's just too much of a risk for us, especially since we serve children from the public. Personally I wish we could, but the county decided it wasn't worth it.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:27 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
We’ve just covered this, and you come back for more? Great: public drunkeness is a misdemeanor ... no more than a free meal and a bed for a night. Drug possession in small quantities without intent to sell is almost always also charged as a misdemeanor (read above: meal and a bed), unless accompanied by other charges such as robbery and assault in which case possession may optionally be elevated to felony if the prosecutor is targeting the individual for increased sentencing.

Ok. So then you say: ‘Change the damn laws and guidelines!” Right. And while you are doing that, go find the resources it will take to observe, pursue, ... and arrest, jail, try and convict in the courts (hey, the court system has lots and lots of low wage prosecutors, defenders and judges with nothing but time on their hands waiting for something to fall across their desks to keep them from dying of boredom) ... and then, finally, pay $71,000 each prisoner’s annual costs ... only to have them eventually released back to no income, no-low employability, no housing ... and ... wait for it: their previous habits.

Brilliant solution, bmw! Run for mayor! Of course you’d have to move back from Flory-dah to San Francisco.
I love how people think jail is a cheaper option, when really it's just getting them "out of sight, out of mind." It costs the taxpayer WAY more money to house a prisoner than to have them on the streets... but yeah, let's just throw every addict in prison (where drugs are even easier to obtain). Brilliant idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland