Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM

639 posts, read 1,064,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
No kidding. That’s more than some of the teachers make in SF. What a crime. And add up overtime pay and they’re likely topping six figures. Here’s an idea, hire six people off the streets and pay them $40k. But this is just typical spend, spend, spend and waste. Much like the Bart janitor sleeping in a storage closet getting paid over $200k. Once again, great job SF!
Come on, cleaning up the feces of disease-infested drug-addicted homeless people? That is an awful, awful job, and they deserve at least what they're getting paid. I feel nauseous just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:45 AM

21,564 posts, read 16,058,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Come on, cleaning up the feces of disease-infested drug-addicted homeless people? That is an awful, awful job, and they deserve at least what they're getting paid. I feel nauseous just thinking about it.
+1 on that, Genghis

Old 08-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You are partly right: it doesn’t address the underlying causes of the problem.

Yet two other things are important to recognize in my response to the poster as you are referring to:

1. The poster was proposing that we literally kill the homeless by sending them out to sea and sinking the boat ... and thus my comment on his useless, empty ridicule being pointless

2. However the problem should be dealt with in terms of elimination of causes ... until those problems are addressed, the stench and filth and public health hazard needs to be dealt with - until better resolutions.

The streets can be cleaned relatively easily - right now.

The underlying problems are deeply complex and will take great socio-economic change - which will not / cannot happen quickly.
Yeah, so let's just accept the situation. It's just part of living in San Francisco that the most popular areas are filled with homeless people, and we should just accept that it will be like this for years.

The problem is, people don't accept it. They leave. You heard about the medical convention cancelling? They aren't the only ones. One of the reasons I'd never consider moving back to San Francisco is this situation. (Admittedly, the fact that an apartment there is 3 times what I pay here is a bigger reason). There is a pretty strong turnover in San Francisco's population. The natives are moving out, and the tech bros are moving in. These quality of living issues play a big part. At this rate, in 10 years there will be two types of San Francisco neighborhoods. 1) Tech bro neighborhoods away from downtown, without feces and drug use everywhere, and 2) Tech bro neighborhoods near downtown, with feces and drug use everywhere.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,076,483 times
Quote:
Yeah, so let's just accept the situation. It's just part of living in San Francisco that the most popular areas are filled with homeless people, and we should just accept that it will be like this for years.

The problem is, people don't accept it. They leave. You heard about the medical convention cancelling? They aren't the only ones. One of the reasons I'd never consider moving back to San Francisco is this situation. (Admittedly, the fact that an apartment there is 3 times what I pay here is a bigger reason). There is a pretty strong turnover in San Francisco's population. The natives are moving out, and the tech bros are moving in. These quality of living issues play a big part. At this rate, in 10 years there will be two types of San Francisco neighborhoods. 1) Tech bro neighborhoods away from downtown, without feces and drug use everywhere, and 2) Tech bro neighborhoods near downtown, with feces and drug use everywhere.
I've told you guys and gals how to fix it. They need to relocate the homeless to another local. Make it illegal to be homeless.

Haul them in and export to a homeless camp. Set up a camp in Eureka or Vacaville. Nice relaxed living for the homeless. Give them all the free dope they want.

Or get together with L.A. and ship all the homeless of S.F and L.A. to 29 Palms in the desert. If the current 29 Palms residents have a fit, relocate them to cheap houses in Riverside. Then the homeless can have 29 Palms all to themselves. That is the cheapest method to fix the homeless problem.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Again, Genghis, you create fiction I never said. . Quote where I have ever suggested “accept the situation”.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I've told you guys and gals how to fix it. They need to relocate the homeless to another local. Make it illegal to be homeless.

Haul them in and export to a homeless camp. Set up a camp in Eureka or Vacaville. Nice relaxed living for the homeless. Give them all the free dope they want.

Or get together with L.A. and ship all the homeless of S.F and L.A. to 29 Palms in the desert. If the current 29 Palms residents have a fit, relocate them to cheap houses in Riverside. Then the homeless can have 29 Palms all to themselves. That is the cheapest method to fix the homeless problem.
And you’ve had it explained to you many times why your simplistic vision can’t work. So what’s the point?

Old 08-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Again, Genghis, you create fiction I never said. . Quote where I have ever suggested “accept the situation”.
When you make comments like "the problem should be dealt with in terms of elimination of causes ... until those problems are addressed, the stench and filth and public health hazard needs to be dealt with - until better resolutions" and then "The underlying problems are deeply complex and will take great socio-economic change - which will not / cannot happen quickly." you make it sound like you believe that there will not be any significant change in the situation anytime soon, even with your preferred policies.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post

In the old days, they were locked up in mental hospitals and so on. But our society and laws don't allow us to kidnap people and exile them. Even if we made homelessness illegal, all we could do is put them into prison. And they'd just end out getting released soon.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
When you make comments like "the problem should be dealt with in terms of elimination of causes ... until those problems are addressed, the stench and filth and public health hazard needs to be dealt with - until better resolutions" and then "The underlying problems are deeply complex and will take great socio-economic change - which will not / cannot happen quickly." you make it sound like you believe that there will not be any significant change in the situation anytime soon, even with your preferred policies.
The statement I made was “however the problem should be dealt with ...” ... which is to say “In whatever ways the problem should be dealt with ...”.

The word “however” means “in whatever ways”. Do you get that now?

And, regardless of how you read the word “however” ... what implies ‘acceptance’ or disbelief change will occur, in pointing out that the problem as it exists this very minute needs to be managed for public health and civic benefit while greater changes can be found and implemented ... which, quite obviously, will take more time than washing the streets TODAY?

Sheesh.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 AM

1,156 posts, read 978,173 times
Quote:
So sleeping on the streets and around the sh-t is a better life. Ok, got ya, you make a lot of sense. You fit right in in SF then. More wasteful spending and oh, how is that stupid $2.1B bus stop doing? Good thing they got Salesforce to pay a sponsor fee so they can help meet their obligations. Once again, great job SF! At least Tulemutt gives you a +1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland