Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 03:15 PM

43 posts, read 35,588 times

Advertisements

We have been thinking about coming back to the Bay from Texas for quite a while. We lived in Walnut Creek and that's where we would come back... however, the new laws concerning the sales of recreational-use marijuana concern my husband and me quite a bit. We saw a rapid proliferation of pot stores in CO and OR (even in places we never imagined) followed by a large homeless population moving into these areas. I worry soon even towns like Walnut Creek/Lafayette will open the door to those stores and I am not honestly comfortable raising my kids in an environment that normalizes drugs use and addiction. (My dad died too young because of drugs so I keep myself and my family away from that stuff).

Am I overthinking? How will the landscape change over the next few years?

(Please let's not argue about our different beliefs here. I am not questioning if it's right or wrong... but I am wondering how the East Bay will respond to the new laws while I decide if moving back makes sense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 04:12 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,648 times
I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Walnut Creek, And areas around it did NOT open any pot stores. It’s an uppity area, and a lot of times they don’t follow the trends.

Places like Richmond, Berkeley, Vallejo, etc...are the places where they will be (and already are).

Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Relax. You are overthinking A LOT.

Right now, and most likely in the future cannabis shops will most likely only remain in the cities that already have them. Even if a shop opens up it won't affect you or your child since one must be at least 21 years of age and it won't be anywhere near a school or playground.

In addition, NOBODY has ever died from a cannabis overdose, is not particularly addictive (like cigarettes/ opiates/alcohol) which I'd be more concerned about since those are all so incredibly dangerous, have tons of advertising for and can be purchased all over the place where children are allowed.

This website will show you what the laws are/what's available in every city in California. Walnut Creek/Lafayette do not have a shop and will probably never get one. I'm also not sure why you believe homelessness has anything to do with cannabis dispensaries.

jhttp://www.greenstate.com/explained/what-is-my-local-marijuana-law-in-california/

Old 03-02-2018, 06:36 PM

702 posts, read 953,749 times
And why would pot stores be any more undesirable than liquor stores...?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:40 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
And why would pot stores be any more undesirable than liquor stores...?
1) there arent many places where pot is legal so it will attract undesirables from other parts of the country
2) yes liquor is bad and so is smoking, so you’re just adding another bad thing, it’d be like saying why not add fried transfat butter depositories since we have pot and liquor already

With that being said, I support legalization, but I admit I wouldnt want it in my backyard or neighborhood.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) there arent many places where pot is legal so it will attract undesirables from other parts of the country
2) yes liquor is bad and so is smoking, so you’re just adding another bad thing, it’d be like saying why not add fried transfat butter depositories since we have pot and liquor already

With that being said, I support legalization, but I admit I wouldnt want it in my backyard or neighborhood.
That's how I feel I'd rather add more good alternatives for youth then draw them into harmful vices.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:53 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheJoy View Post
That's how I feel I'd rather add more good alternatives for youth then draw them into harmful vices.
It is pretty funny though in areas so obsessed about health that they are those ones advocating for another bad addiction.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

This website will show you what the laws are/what's available in every city in California. Walnut Creek/Lafayette do not have a shop and will probably never get one. I'm also not sure why you believe homelessness has anything to do with cannabis dispensaries.

jhttp://www.greenstate.com/explained/what-is-my-local-marijuana-law-in-california/
Thank you. This is helpful!!

On the homeless comment, between 2000-2005 I volunteered in Europe with organizations who help people who are homeless and one thing I have always noticed is that a huge number of them are drug addicts and fairly young. If you go in the CO forum, you'll see that places like Denver is attracting a large homeless population who is there because it's so easy for them to get weed there. CO is cold and it makes sense to me that many will migrate west (but maybe not up north) where the winters are milder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland