Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:23 PM

9 posts, read 15,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb724 View Post
First thing I will say is that it is definitely worth a follow up in person to see how they calculated your income to get to the $58k.

Keep in mind that there are numerous low income housing programs and income can be calculated a bit differently in each one. There are also multiple definitions of low income (e.g. extremely low income- 30% of median, very low income - 50% of median, and low income - 80% of median). This changes the income limit significantly. You could be eligible for one low income program but not another. You don't mention what the income standard is for this particular housing program. They should be able to easily tell you that.

I would also generally say most programs will not use your W-2s alone to determine if you meet the income qualification. Recent paystubs are more likely to demonstrate your current (and future income) going forward.

Sounds like you both have overtime/variable/seasonal work which can make the income calculation more complex (and more prone to errors). Each program has rules on how that type of income is calculated. If the discrepancy is $50k versus $58k, it could very easily be how they calculated that variable work income/hours.
Yes we provided them 3 months worth of paystubs, and they called asking for more (as an update and as proof that we are still working). We complied with everything they have asked. We hope that our W2 is enough proof. Our income hasn't changed from last year. We don't want to let this opportunity slip through. Again, from the beginning we had no doubt in our minds that we would get the place because we were good in all criterias. We hope they reconsider their decision. It was said that after the appeal it would take at least a week to receive a response. We have set an appointment with them next week. I will update everyone on what happened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 AM

13,719 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Well, either a mistake was made or it wasn't. Only by going to the office and speaking to someone direct will an answer be found. The quality of city employees is pretty dismal in SF. The tax assessors office screwed up my property tax once and I was told I had to pay the incorrect amount and I would be reimbursed at a later date. F-that.

On the other hand because city officials are often incompetent you can get away with a lot you can't in other cities. For example I wanted to remove a tree in from of my house. Well, in SF that's a big no-no and if granted permission you are often required to plant a replace tree. But I made up a story and checked off the box which said a replacement tree wasn't necessary. The woman at the desk either didn't care or understand the importance of verification. (I just showed her a plumbing receipt and told her the tree roots caused the problem.) She just stamped an approval on my application.

Op: Be sure to go down in person. Forget calling over the phone. The person you speak with over the phone doesn't give a **** assuming you get someone to actually speak with.

Go to the office and be super polite.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
You don't give enough info for anyone to help you. Don't know where you are, if it's a HUD building or public housing, or LIHTC housing, etc., etc., as far as advising you on any kind of appeal process.

In the end, though, you can always talk to a lawyer. A letter from a lawyer can make people double check their math or paperwork. You can usually get a free consultation through the bar association.

Good luck getting your housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland