Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 04:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Depending on exactly where in SF your hubby will be working, San Mateo could either be a great or not-great option (in terms of commute). Either way, I'd recommend San Mateo Hills over anything near downtown/101 - that way he can just take 280 into the city, which is a MUCH more pleasant drive than 101/92/etc. It tends to have lighter traffic, not to mention it's a beautiful drive until you get to around San Bruno.

Speaking of which, if you don't mind the constant fog, look into the towns of San Bruno, South San Francisco, and Daly City. There are sketchy parts (we can expand if you're considering these) but also some very nice little neighborhoods, and prices are lower because of the weather. School districts are iffy, although I'm pretty sure that only applies to the middle and high schools; so you'd have a while to worry about that. Pacifica is great too, but again, good luck ever seeing the sun! I lived there for a short time and loved it, but I'm a redhead who avoids sun like the plague.

P.S. I grew up in San Mateo Park, which is a terrific neighborhood... but it's not as convenient as other parts, and reaaaalllly expensive now. It wasn't cheap when we lived there from 1983-97, so I imagine it's practically unattainable for "normal people" these days.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-26-2018 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 AM

372 posts, read 513,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I grew up in San Mateo Park, which is a terrific neighborhood... but it's not as convenient as other parts, and reaaaalllly expensive now. It wasn't cheap when we lived there from 1983-97, so I imagine it's practically unattainable for "normal people" these days.
Lucky you, San Mateo Park is one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere. Unfortunately the only house for sale is listed for $6 million.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:22 AM

17 posts, read 17,054 times
Default San Mateo

I think you could make $160 work in San Mateo. In a 2 bdrm in North Central San Mateo you can find rentable spaces that would suit you. The “bad” parts of San Mateo are not really bad. It has become so gentrified because of the cost of living. I work for the City and have worked out of the MLK Jr. Recreation center on Monte Diablo many years. It’s a great center, well-run, lots of programs and a really great part-time preschool that is super affordable with great teachers. San Mateo puts a lot of resources toward that area and it is has changed tremendously. It’s super close to downtown. I have lived on Monte Diablo, and Claremont Sts. Check those out as they sometimes have good rental deals. Houses/apartments will be small. Everything is small here, with weird layouts, but “quaint”. There is another preschool on Santa Ynez called Petite Sorbonne (it’s not french) that is an absolute gem. Both of my kids attended there for years. The family that runs the center is one of the best and it’s still the same family.

Other posters are correct that you will like pay $3000+ for a 2bdrm. We are lucky to own our 3bdrm, 1300 sq ft. house on the other side of town in Beresford Manor. However, we are selling our house and moving to the East Coast next Spring 2019. Together we make $225000 and it does seem hard here to make it on these salaries. Granted, our two kids attend private school, we have two cars, etc. We are planning a downscale when we move East - 1 job, 1 car, public school, and hopefully a slower pace. San Mateo is very fast-paced, very metro, and there is traffic that comes with that too.

I recommend you look into affordable childcare and consider finding work yourself if you want to make San Mateo a long-term location for you and your family. A one salary family can have a tough time here.

Best of luck,

Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM

272 posts, read 322,306 times
I'd look at Foster City for renting. It's a little nice community with excellent schools (for future) and next to San Mateo. Very walkable, many parks, good shopping, Costco. Located on the Bay. 1/3 of houses there are townhouses and you can find something there on your budget. We were renting there for 3 years and I still have a fond memory of this place.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...82_rect/14_zm/

Last edited by tetka_grunya; 10-10-2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Lucky you, San Mateo Park is one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere. Unfortunately the only house for sale is listed for $6 million.
Yeah, that's about where our old house is valued now... crazy!

Too bad my mother sold it (for around $1.5M) after the divorce. But she couldn't handle the maintenance and taxes on her own, so it was the best decision at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland