Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:50 PM

86 posts, read 74,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I’ve always wondered why SF itself wasn’t denser. No land? Build up. Build higher. But from what I’ve seen, city residents are near pathologically opposed to high rise construction in most of the city, and the development process makes the process here in NYC look like a cakewalk. There is a mayoral election in the city this year, but I don’t know if any of the candidates are specifically addressing up zoning and streamlining development. My guess is that if anyone is, they’ll probably lose, as San Franciscans seem happier living in an expensive museum of a city than a dynamic, changing, more affordable one.
Home owners in San Francisco are opposed to new construction because they have a vested interest in perpetuating the housing shortage. The more severe the housing shortage, the richer they get. Living in a $1.4m house that would otherwise be $400k is worth a million dollars in cash when you sell and can pay you when you rent out the front studio, bedrooms, etc for $1k+/month. If you give local governments control of housing, they act in their own selfish interests.

San Francisco's housing market is a failure of incentives, not geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 PM

16 posts, read 24,989 times
Wouldn't cramming more people into SF create a major safety problem? I don't think there are enough egress paths to handle a catastrophic disaster. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost access to a couple bridges following either of the Big Ones (Hayward and San Andreas faults).

Old 03-28-2018, 11:36 AM

4,026 posts, read 4,434,721 times
SB 827 impact map (including how it would affect SF and its suburbs) put together by Sasha Aickin:
https://transitrichhousing.org/

Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
SB 827 impact map (including how it would affect SF and its suburbs) put together by Sasha Aickin:
https://transitrichhousing.org/
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting map and commentary.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:18 PM

165 posts, read 195,630 times
Fill in the bay and there'll be tons of new land to build houses on.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:35 PM

758 posts, read 547,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I’ve always wondered why SF itself wasn’t denser. No land? Build up. Build higher. But from what I’ve seen, city residents are near pathologically opposed to high rise construction in most of the city, and the development process makes the process here in NYC look like a cakewalk. There is a mayoral election in the city this year, but I don’t know if any of the candidates are specifically addressing up zoning and streamlining development. My guess is that if anyone is, they’ll probably lose, as San Franciscans seem happier living in an expensive museum of a city than a dynamic, changing, more affordable one.
I've always wondered why Manhattan itself wasn’t sparser. Dirty air, too much pollution, and nowhere to really see and experience the restorative beauty of nature? Raze buildings, plant trees, re-build paths (not "parks"). But from what I’ve seen, city residents are near pathologically opposed to the "natural world," (i.e., real hills, real ponds). When the next mayoral election occurs, I doubt any of the candidates will specifically address nature restoration and proposals to encourage and streamline that process. My guess is that if anyone did, they’d probably lose, as Manhattanites seem happier living in an expensive museum of a community than a dynamic, changing, more humane one.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I've always wondered why Manhattan itself wasn’t sparser. Dirty air, too much pollution, and nowhere to really see and experience the restorative beauty of nature? Raze buildings, plant trees, re-build paths (not "parks"). But from what I’ve seen, city residents are near pathologically opposed to the "natural world," (i.e., real hills, real ponds). When the next mayoral election occurs, I doubt any of the candidates will specifically address nature restoration and proposals to encourage and streamline that process. My guess is that if anyone did, they’d probably lose, as Manhattanites seem happier living in an expensive museum of a community than a dynamic, changing, more humane one.
I get what you are doing but it makes absolutely no sense in context to the subject matter of this thread nor does it take into account the history of NYC. You live in Manhattan and want to see a pond - go upstate.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:00 PM

758 posts, read 547,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I get what you are doing but it makes absolutely no sense in context to the subject matter of this thread nor does it take into account the history of NYC. You live in Manhattan and want to see a pond - go upstate.
I get what the Manhattan poster was doing but it makes absolutely no sense in [the] context of this region and its history. You live in the bay area. You wanta live surrounded by skyscrapers, go to NY.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:05 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I get what the Manhattan poster was doing but it makes absolutely no sense in [the] context of this region and its history. You live in the bay area. You wanta live surrounded by skyscrapers, go to NY.
Backing away slowly... Good day to you.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Build! Build! Build!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland