Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:48 PM

400 posts, read 449,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Palm trees?
Only place I think there are palms here is the Embarcadero. Can't think of them elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 01:15 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Dolores Street has palm trees.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Only place I think there are palms here is the Embarcadero. Can't think of them elsewhere.
You can find palm trees all over the Bay Area, not nearly to the extent of Southern CA as they're more spotty and random but you see them around. Probably more common in the warmer inland locations though.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 PM

133 posts, read 203,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
op, reading your responses to people's answers, it sounds like you do not want to hear the truth, but want all of us to convince your girlfriend how great living would be. Well here are the facts that you may want to consider: BTW, we have lived in the bay area, (Marin Co) and we lived in Alexandria so we have a feel for both areas: We have not lived in NYC>

Yes, the bay area has great weather but very little change of seasons.
School in the burbs are mixed, depending on the district. This is just like DC but the DC burbs might rate a little higher overall.
No matter where you choose to live in the bay area it is going to be higher than a comp area in DC.
Heating and A/C will be lower in the bay area because of the milder weather, but you may very well not have central air.
Food may be a little cheaper
The East bay is a good place to live but you will find homes quite a bit smaller than in DC.

I have noticed you are not addressing your price point, or what about careers. Will you have a budget to handle the increased cost of housing and will you be able to easily get a job?

Have you and your girlfriend made a trip or two to the bay area, for comparison between the two areas? just some thing for you to be very much aware of and to think through seriously?
Thanks for your post.

Well, we are both professionals, so our combined salary will be around 600k/year. Our budget is around $2 million for a home.

But you are right, its basically this argument:

She: Our $ will go further in DC
Me: You can't put a price on ocean/mountains/weather/west coast culture

She also thinks that weather in SF is not good..but the more I read about East Bay on this thread, the more appealing it sounds.

I think a place like Orinda or Moraga would be perfect...maybe even Walnut Creek (I feel you can get more house for your coin).

I think my goal is $2 million dollars for 3500 square foot/4-5 bdr home...but need to do more research.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Palm trees?
San Jose has lots of them...

https://goo.gl/maps/SUaBy11mbgs

https://goo.gl/maps/Tbgn2trP92U2

https://goo.gl/maps/15dTW2qrm4s

Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,267,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Yeah but Bay Area has ocean, palm trees, mountains and no snow
So...San Diego?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:08 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,267,603 times
Quote:
Thanks for your post.

Well, we are both professionals, so our combined salary will be around 600k/year. Our budget is around $2 million for a home.

She also thinks that weather in SF is not good..but the more I read about East Bay on this thread, the more appealing it sounds.

I think a place like Orinda or Moraga would be perfect...maybe even Walnut Creek (I feel you can get more house for your coin).

I think my goal is $2 million dollars for 3500 square foot/4-5 bdr home...but need to do more research.
Your money will go further in DC, but at least you are making salaries that will afford you a decent house in a good school district in most places of the Bay Area. With the different areas people are mentioning, you have to consider how for from home you would be working. East Bay commutes can be horrendous (lots of traffic) especially if you are commuting to South Bay / Peninsula.

The peninsula (San Mateo to Mountain View) has maybe the ideal weather to me. Lots of sun, not foggy like near SF, but not as hot as the East Bay. $2 million you could get a house in San Carlos, or maybe even Menlo Park around 2000 sq ft. Very nice places to live, if you are willing to have a bit smaller place.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
there are a number of communities in the East Bay which are

Bethesda, Potomac, Chevy Chase equivalent communities - try

Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette (or Lamorinda)

Piedmont

Danville, San Ramon, Pleasanton

What's your housing budget?
these are all good choices for you with your budget.
where will you be commuting to for work? and at what time ?
if you are on trading hours you have more flexebility.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:11 PM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
$2 million is plenty for a nice, 3000 sq ft house in a good school district in the East Bay. In Palo Alto, you won't get 2000 sq ft on that budget.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:49 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Thanks for your post.

Houses are going to be a lot smaller - and frankly speaking, the weather here is fairly pleasant all year round, so you don't need to have a huge place - aren't you moving here for the climate? It's not going to be like Dallas or Houston where you want to hide in the air con confines of your home when it's hot outside.

So I think you'll need to adjust your expectations a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland