Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:13 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Right--that's so sad about the Powell Street Station & area.

OP, just to clarify, when I recommended Chinatown and the cable car museum, I had in mind the Montgomery Street BART station. From there, it's easy to get the California St. cable car (completely different route and location from the Powell St. cable car). That way you'll miss the tourist crowds around Union Square and Powell Street, along with the other issues the above poster mentioned. The California Street car takes you through the swanky and scenic Nob Hill neighborhood, too.

Of course, you can skip Chinatown & Cable Car Museum, and follow Amy's advice, to explore the Embarcadero, and the science Exploratorium at Pier 39. Hot tip: there's a very good ice cream shop in the Ferry Building, at the Embarcadero. There's a BART station there, too. Or you could do both in one day, by taking BART just one stop to Montgomery ST., and proceeding from there.

In any case, I think we've established that there's good reason to include SF in your plans for a couple of days. Once you decide where you want to go for the rest of your visit (Yosemite--crowded, crowded!, vs. Sonoma), you can get back to us, if you'd like more info and advice. It's another question as to where to look for lodging in SF> As someone said, avoid the Union Square area. Maybe you could find something around the Embarcadero. There are some modest hotels in historical buildings around the Filmore District, which is on the California St. cable car line, and is more or less halfway from downtown to GG Park. I'm sure other people would have other recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:34 PM

45 posts, read 55,078 times
Here's an article today about the filth.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...y-12875527.php

Old 05-01-2018, 06:53 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
You need to visit SJ more often. Nothing beats Manhatta, at not SF for sure, but San Jose easily can.

Oh, my goodness...this guy, again!!!

I like San Jose, myself. Like many other SF Bay Area locations, it's got many positive aspects about it.

However....

You really need to give your trolling a rest. Seriously, enough is enough.

People come to this forum to get objective information from local residents. Some of us provide that information, some of us don't.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:56 PM

187 posts, read 206,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Oh, my goodness...this guy, again!!!

I like San Jose, myself. Like many other SF Bay Area locations, it's got many positive aspects about it.

However....

You really need to give your trolling a rest. Seriously, enough is enough.

People come to this forum to get objective information from local residents. Some of us provide that information, some of us don't.
What if the topper turned out to be San Jose mayor Sam Liccardo just constantly stumping for his city?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
What if the topper turned out to be San Jose mayor Sam Liccardo just constantly stumping for his city?
Actually, he's a character in the Dilbert comic strip!

dilbert.com/strip/2017-07-02

Old 05-03-2018, 03:37 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We are considering Northern California for our vacation this year...we can get great prices on flights to SFO...and although my husband and kids have been to many typical bucket list destinations, they have never been to San Francisco or Northern California in general.

We could spend two nights in the city before heading out to other places such as Carmel, Yosemite, etc.

However I read such horror stories about the city now that I'm unsure whether to go there at all.

We have a 15 yo son and an 11 yo daughter.

Thoughts?
Oh my yes... do pay a visit. All of you will enjoy the touristy stuff, and maybe some non-touristy stuff too, if time permits. The Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Alcatraz, cable cars, Haight Street, etc. -- everyone should see them.

The City Hall here is very impressive... its dome is actually larger than the US Capitol's (the Pennsylvania state capitol is even more opulent... but that's for a different vacation, of course). And just east of City Hall, across a block-wide lawn, is the Asian Art Museum (but if you want to steer clear of down-and-out types, avoid the nearby Main Library). If you are sports fans, you could watch the SF Giants play in their cool waterfront ballpark.

You might stay at one of the hotels near Fisherman's Wharf... that might be the simplest thing to do. There's also a Holiday Inn on Van Ness Avenue, slightly away from all the hubbub, but still convenient to most destinations (and just a one-block walk to Polk Street, where you'll find a wide selection of restaurants).

Whereever you stay, I'd strongly suggest leaving the car there and getting around on transit, or tourist buses, or Uber/Lyft. SF streets are confusing, the drivers here are impatient and aggressive, parking is scarce, and car break-ins are common. To make matters even worse, there's a lot of construction going on around town right now. But most of the places you'll want to go are well-served by transit.

Another tip: even if you'll be here in the summer, bring a sweatshirt or windbreaker... we can get chilly winds from the Pacific.

Last edited by NW4me; 05-03-2018 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 12:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right--that's so sad about the Powell Street Station & area.

Right on. For any future visitors to San Francisco who might be reading, please follow this advice and steer clear of the Civic Center/Powell Street area of downtown. I have heard some real life nightmare stories from hotel employees about how some guests have decided to never visit the city again after their experiences with the homeless problem plaguing San Francisco.

How about the problem one of the hotels had downtown with two rather offensive homeless people, who would make their way to where the hotel shuttles pick up guests to bring to the airport. The proceed to, in full view, pull down their pants, bend over and deposit a parting gift on the pavement for all to see. Two families were so appalled, they called the police , who really could not anything to the offenders, given the law in our city.

I for one, despite deep rooted Liberal tendencies, have a major problem with seeing the above mentioned behavior as one of my last images of the city before my departure to SFO.

So disgusting and really awful to see how some people have devolved to do such things.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:17 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
Thank you everyone for your help.

We have decided to save our SF trip for a shorter break in the off season (this Fall, maybe). It will be really useful to have all your suggestions to fall back upon.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond; I have tried to rep everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland