Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 01:51 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

What are your top 2 higher quality but less expensive eats in Berkeley ?

Last edited by bloom; 04-29-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 02:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
What kind of eats? There's a good Chinese restaurant where the Asian students hang out, on University Ave. near the corner with Shattuck.https://www.greatchinaberkeley.com
Further west a few blocks is Plearn, a very popular Thai restaurant. https://www.plearnberkeley.com

Walk south on Telegraph toward the Oakland border, and there's The Drunken Boat (Le Bateau Ivre), which is good for lunch, or brunch. Good burgers, and other fairly standard fare. Not sure if it fits your "high quality, good prices" criteria, though. http://lebateauivre.net

Plearn and Le Bateau Ivre have been around for decades. Plearn used to have lines out the door and down the sidewalk, for lunch, in its first decade or so of operation, when it was located close to the University.

There's a very good Himalayan restaurant on Shattuck, about 3 blocks north of University Ave., that has Indian, Nepalese and Tibetan dishes. They have delicious central-Asian-style steamed meat dumplings (vegetarian, also). I've never seen an Indian restaurant that offered those dumplings. Mainly it's a Tibetan thing, but these are better than any Tibetan ones I've had. These are like Mongol ones. The best! Succulent! I just gat a plate of those for lunch or dinner (they're a mini version, so they're considered appetizers), and I'm good!
https://www.tasteofthehimalayas.com

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-29-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Suya African Caribbean Grill 2130 Oxford St Berkeley. Suya African-Caribbean Grill – Street food, grilled healthy.

Vik’s Chaat (South Indian) 2390 4th St Berkeley For some reason malwarebytes won't let me access their website, but here's their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ViksChaat/

Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Are we talking student cheap or I-went-to-Chez-Panisse-one-too-many-times-last-month cheap? Big difference IMO.

For Indian food, Vik's Chaat is good if not a bit overrated. For a more off-the-radar Indian experience, I recommend Chaat Cafe, which is kitty corner from Trader Joe's on the west side of downtown.

For pizza, I recommend Sliver. They recently opened a second location on Southside and moved their original downtown location to a new spot, but I presume the quality remains. It's like the Cheese Board, but with better hours, less grease, and a full bar (downtown).

Also, there is lots of good Asian cuisine to be had. Great China is a bit posh, so I prefer the more humble experiences of Toss Noodle Bar (downtown), Long Life Vegi House (on University Avenue), and Eat@Thai (West Berkeley). Authenticity not guaranteed, but Eat@Thai does prepare Thai spicy upon request (no refunds).

Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
^ thanks for these useful suggestions

Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
My favorite is Platano, on University Avenue not far from Shattuck. Some of their dishes are a bit expensive, but the best items are the pupusa combinations, and they're quite affordable (both at lunch and at dinner).

Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Are we talking student cheap or I-went-to-Chez-Panisse-one-too-many-times-last-month cheap? Big difference IMO.

For Indian food, Vik's Chaat is good if not a bit overrated. For a more off-the-radar Indian experience, I recommend Chaat Cafe, which is kitty corner from Trader Joe's on the west side of downtown.

For pizza, I recommend Sliver. They recently opened a second location on Southside and moved their original downtown location to a new spot, but I presume the quality remains. It's like the Cheese Board, but with better hours, less grease, and a full bar (downtown).

Also, there is lots of good Asian cuisine to be had. Great China is a bit posh, so I prefer the more humble experiences of Toss Noodle Bar (downtown), Long Life Vegi House (on University Avenue), and Eat@Thai (West Berkeley). Authenticity not guaranteed, but Eat@Thai does prepare Thai spicy upon request (no refunds).
China Village on Solano Av is really good imo

Old 05-10-2018, 08:13 PM

234 posts, read 303,705 times
Zachary’s Pizza is off the hook, Spinach and Mushroom deep dish.

Top Dog, get the hot link.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:48 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Top Dog is a good, cheap eat. The Southside location has better hours and a little more character than the downtown location.

I prefer Little Star Pizza to Zachary's, although both are similar. Little Star is technically on the Albany side of Solano Avenue, so I guess it doesn't officially count as a Berkeley restaurant. In any event, neither are inexpensive, so I don't think they're worth mentioning in this context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland