Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I just think it's cute that you trust Bay Area government to follow through with their "promises."

Yeah, we'll see that second transbay tube... in 30 years.
As I already stated to you specifically (apparently you didn’t comprehend it the first time) MTC did follow through with previous projects funded by RM1 and RM2. What isn’t cute is that you intentionally want to be ignorant of this fact, I’m not really sure why. Maybe just need a reason to complain?

A major transportation project typically takes 30 years from first being proposed to final build out, that is the case no matter where you are (I’m sure you were going to try to act like that’s unique to the Bay Area, again because you need to find a reason to complain). Would you rather them not start the process at all now? Are you really that myopic and negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Our infrastructure has been largely ignored for years. Developers have built relentlessly but have not invested in adequate highways or public transportation to keep up with this growth. Moreover, they haven't maintained what we have. We are already taxed among the highest rates in the country, but our infrastructure can't be maintained. So, excuse me if I'm impatient about it getting done.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of people blindly signing measure after measure to increase taxes, without any benefit. Why is so tough for California to get its fiscal house in order?

How about us signing off on the high speed rail project? I voted for that too, as I thought it would was badly needed. Its been 10 years since this passed and the costs have ballooned to something like $70B with construction barely started in the Central Valley. I'll be lucky if I see this completed between SF and LA in my lifetime.

Different projects, same sad outcome.
When you don’t have revenue sources that keep up with inflation what do you expect? People like you complain not enough is done, despite underfunding infrastructure, then complain again when the try and fund and get projects completed.

RM1 and RM2 delivered and continue to deliver a lot of projects to the Bay Area, it’s really easy to look up and I’ve even listed (aka spoon fed) a list of past and current projects funded by it. I really don’t understand why people like you continue to act like previous toll measures haven’t resulted in capital projects being completed or currently under construction in addition to current operational projects still funded by it. I’m sure you have never even bothered to educate yourself, like pretty much everyone else complaining on this thread, what these toll measures have helped fund and get built. Yet here you are so sure nothing is getting built by these previous toll measures.

Last edited by sav858; 06-13-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 06-13-2018, 10:02 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
NYC's tolls are like what, $15 or $20? Ever been stuck in traffic there for 2 hours trying to go 5 blocks? I have.
Even just on the other side of the river it is insane. About 4 1/2 years ago I drove from Hoboken to Fort Lee starting at 5pm on a Friday...ugh. Never again.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Those of us who voted for this measure understood the need. And the measure passed - even knowing it would cost us more money. We know things aren't free, and we aren't entitled to great infrastructure, great salaries and cheap housing. Nothing is free and the majority of adults who voted for this measure understood that.

We didn't need to Google anything. We already get it.
You don't live even live in the East Bay, nor do you have to use the bridge to get to work daily. You voted in favor of something that won't really affect you and your monthly expenses, because you don't care about anyone but yourself. You can call people names all you want, but you and your ilk and part of a culture that doesn't care about the vanishing middle class, let alone working class, in the Bay Area. Fortunately, I don't have to take the Bay Bridge to get to work anymore on a daily basis, but if I did, it would make a noticeable impact on my budget, which is precisely why I voted AGAINST it. I also thought of others who don't make nearly as much as I do and how it would REALLY screw them. Maybe you are the one who needs to learn about empathy and the greater good of society- aka "growing up"

Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
I think you have it backwards, NoMoreSnoflake. Transportation should cost less because of high ridership, not more. I guess you’ve come to the logical conclusion that your taxes are being wasted and not funding transportation projects. The issue is that these new taxes are like paying twice for the infrastructure that should already be covered. This rewards bad behavior and is no guarantee that the money won’t be misused or that the project won’t be severely over budget. You are very trusting of your politicians.
That makes no sense. Higher ridership can lead to needing to increase service, expand fleets, and higher maintenance costs. You might improve you're fare recovery ratio but your costs are still increasing.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:34 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
When you don’t have revenue sources that keep up with inflation what do you expect? People like you complain not enough is done, despite underfunding infrastructure, then complain again when the try and fund and get projects completed.
I'm all for paying extra taxes to support infrastructure build out if I actually thought things would get done. When they do, they are never on time nor on budget (the Bay Bridge was a good example).

I travel a lot for work, and I have to say that states like Arizona and Texas take much better care of their highways than we do here in California. This is despite being MUCH more fiscally conservative than we are here.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'm all for paying extra taxes to support infrastructure build out if I actually thought things would get done. When they do, they are never on time nor on budget (the Bay Bridge was a good example).

I travel a lot for work, and I have to say that states like Arizona and Texas take much better care of their highways than we do here in California. This is despite being MUCH more fiscally conservative than we are here.
Again a lot of projects has been completed with RM1 and RM2 funds so not sure why you continue to intentionally ignore that fact and act like nothing is getting built with this revenue. What, if you refuse to acknowledge the projects that have been built or being built that means they didn’t happen or something?

FYI Caldecott Tunnel 4th bore was under budget and on time. Berryessa Bart extension expects to finish under budget too.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/...toward-victor/

Hopefully, this will encourage folks to live closer to job centers in San Francisco and Silicon Valley, rather than commuting in from the periphery of the East Bay.

Yeah all the libs with their Prius’s are going to move closer to the center of San Francisco so they can avoid paying a higher toll... What about when they move into SF and they see that even though they will pay no tolls, that will be off set by the humongous increase in property taxes and cost of living that SF entails.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
The reality is that if this toll hike had been part of a tax parcel that would have made EVERYONE pay for it equally, it probably wouldn't have passed. It was cleverly packaged as a Regional Measure, and those that voted for it knew full-well it wouldn't effect them. I'm also looking at Alameda county voters, since they helped it pass too, though not nearly as much as folks in SF/SV.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The reality is that if this toll hike had been part of a tax parcel that would have made EVERYONE pay for it equally, it probably wouldn't have passed. It was cleverly packaged as a Regional Measure, and those that voted for it knew full-well it wouldn't effect them. I'm also looking at Alameda county voters, since they helped it pass too, though not nearly as much as folks in SF/SV.
Doubt it given Measure RR passed with 70% of the vote.

Renters don’t directly pay parcel taxes either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland