Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2018, 06:39 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Reputation: 116153

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The weather in San Francisco never bothered me, I actually enjoy it. I describe it as a “place that feels like the AC was left on all the time”.
Exactly! It has natural A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Reputation: 116153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Personally, I don't like SF weather or the weather in Daly City, Pacifica, etc.. Plenty of people do though. One of the great things about the Bay Area is that there's pretty much weather for any taste. The micro-climates are especially noticeable in the Summer months.

I was in Sonoma yesterday and it was completely sunny and temps were in the high 70s. Driving home, I could see a thick fog bank hovering over the hills near the coast, indicating that it was completely gray and probably had temps over there around 50-60 degrees.

One thing people who aren't from the region may not realize is that around here, the term "San Francisco" typically refers only to the city of SF itself. The Bay Area as a whole encompasses nine different counties and has lots of different micro-climates...most of which get lots of sun and mild-warm temps throughout the year. Some inland locations regularly see temps in the 90s during the summer months.

Another thing to note is that the city of SF itself tends to have a late summer. The warmest months in SF are usually September and October. I've been in the city in September before when it hit 101 degrees!
Yes, those 3-digit temps are usually in Sept., when they happen, and the East Bay also gets into the 90's, usually right after school starts. No A/C in the schools. IDK if that might be changing now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Reputation: 38576
I'm confused by the word "dull" in the OP.

But, as someone who has lived many years in the Pacific Northwest, as in Seattle, Portland, Bellingham, etc., the comparison to San Francisco is quite different. At least it doesn't snow and rarely gets to freezing temperatures.

That said, it's also colder than I prefer. To give an example, even if the weather is pretty warm in Oakland, if you are leaving Oakland to go to an event in SF, you would take many layers with you, including warm hats and gloves and scarves and jackets - even in the middle of summer. Because, it will probably get cold and wet enough - just humidity/fog-wise - and with a cold wind - that you will feel really chilled.

I grew up in the East Bay area (across the bay from SF) and we used to joke about how many sweatshirts are sold in SF because people don't expect it to be cold, and buy expensive sweatshirts and jackets, etc., from tourist shops in SF.

One thing you can be sure of - it will never be too hot in SF :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Chicago
6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Reputation: 5871
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm confused by the word "dull" in the OP.

But, as someone who has lived many years in the Pacific Northwest, as in Seattle, Portland, Bellingham, etc., the comparison to San Francisco is quite different. At least it doesn't snow and rarely gets to freezing temperatures.

That said, it's also colder than I prefer. To give an example, even if the weather is pretty warm in Oakland, if you are leaving Oakland to go to an event in SF, you would take many layers with you, including warm hats and gloves and scarves and jackets - even in the middle of summer. Because, it will probably get cold and wet enough - just humidity/fog-wise - and with a cold wind - that you will feel really chilled.

I grew up in the East Bay area (across the bay from SF) and we used to joke about how many sweatshirts are sold in SF because people don't expect it to be cold, and buy expensive sweatshirts and jackets, etc., from tourist shops in SF.

One thing you can be sure of - it will never be too hot in SF :-)
Yes, it will. And it will be well before this century ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 03:52 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Reputation: 23761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
the city has not recorded a freezing temperature in nearly 30 years.
How is that possible, when I clearly remember freezing (lows around 29F) temps while living there within the last 10 years? And I'm usually going by the gauge in my car, which is accurate once you've been driving a few minutes... I remember one week in particular circa Dec 2010 when it dropped below 30F, because at the time I had a pet snake lost in my car. Long story, lol, but I was panicking over it being cold enough to kill her. She was eventually found alive and well, for the record.

I know they usually record the temps from Twin Peaks, which tends to be the warmer part of SF - but at night, the city's microclimates typically even out (it's only really obvious during the day). I was living near the Bayview/HP neighborhood at the time, so maybe it was just slightly cooler there? Anyway, I found your statement hard to believe!

And on the subject of microclimates, I'll mention to the OP that San Francisco has a few of them. In the same day at the same time, it can be warm/sunny in Noe Valley but cold/foggy in the outer Sunset. Basic rule of thumb is that the closer to the water you get, particularly on the ocean side, the cooler and foggier the weather gets. I personally love the weather there, but some folks find it depressing. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM
 
3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Reputation: 3206
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How is that possible, when I clearly remember freezing (lows around 29F) temps while living there within the last 10 years? And I'm usually going by the gauge in my car, which is accurate once you've been driving a few minutes... I remember one week in particular circa Dec 2010 when it dropped below 30F, because at the time I had a pet snake lost in my car. Long story, lol, but I was panicking over it being cold enough to kill her. She was eventually found alive and well, for the record.

I know they usually record the temps from Twin Peaks, which tends to be the warmer part of SF - but at night, the city's microclimates typically even out (it's only really obvious during the day). I was living near the Bayview/HP neighborhood at the time, so maybe it was just slightly cooler there? Anyway, I found your statement hard to believe!

And on the subject of microclimates, I'll mention to the OP that San Francisco has a few of them. In the same day at the same time, it can be warm/sunny in Noe Valley but cold/foggy in the outer Sunset. Basic rule of thumb is that the closer to the water you get, particularly on the ocean side, the cooler and foggier the weather gets. I personally love the weather there, but some folks find it depressing. To each their own.
Official temps are recorded at Mission Dolores. Last time it hit 32f was December 24, 1990. Coldest ever recorded was 26f. Common wisdom is that it almost never drops below 40f, and much of the city's gardens support subtropical vegetation that wouldn't survive freezing temps. I just looked up weather data for December 2010 and see the coldest reported temperature was 38f. Average December low temp is 47f. I'm actuallly surprised Bayview would get so cold bc of the proximity to the bay. I lived in Emeryville for many years and never saw a frost. At 29f, you should have noticed heavy frost on all the rooftops. Those temps usually happen in places like Napa but not SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM
 
Location: southern california
61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Reputation: 55562
Never dull
Fog and wind part of day one third of time
But not to worry you will be so broke
You won’t even notice
If you are going to San Francisco forget the flowers and your hair -bring a suitcase full of money
Sing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 AM
 
30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Reputation: 34526
It's generally a mild and pleasant climate. I'd certainly say it's better than the weather in most places of the U.S.

That said, if you just look at a chart of the temperatures, San Francisco looks better on paper than it actually feels when you're there.

The temperature often cools down quickly from the afternoon high. So the high might be 65 or 68 in June or July, which is already on the cool side, but not bad. But the fog and low clouds often start moving in at 3:00 or 4:00 PM and quickly cool the temperature into the mid or low 50s, where the temperature stays until mid morning the next day. So it's often not a gradual cool down like you get in most other places. Add in a frequent stiff breeze and humidity and it can feel kind of bone chilling.

It doesn't always feel that cold. If you're coming from somewhere hot, the fog and breezes can feel refreshing. But being in it day after day, it can get annoying (at least for me). Winter has more daily variation in temperatures than Summer, so it's not all that unusual for it to be warmer on a sunny day in February than it is in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 07:37 AM
 
3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Reputation: 3206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's generally a mild and pleasant climate. I'd certainly say it's better than the weather in most places of the U.S.

That said, if you just look at a chart of the temperatures, San Francisco looks better on paper than it actually feels when you're there.

The temperature often cools down quickly from the afternoon high. So the high might be 65 or 68 in June or July, which is already on the cool side, but not bad. But the fog and low clouds often start moving in at 3:00 or 4:00 PM and quickly cool the temperature into the mid or low 50s, where the temperature stays until mid morning the next day. So it's often not a gradual cool down like you get in most other places. Add in a frequent stiff breeze and humidity and it can feel kind of bone chilling.

It doesn't always feel that cold. If you're coming from somewhere hot, the fog and breezes can feel refreshing. But being in it day after day, it can get annoying (at least for me). Winter has more daily variation in temperatures than Summer, so it's not all that unusual for it to be warmer on a sunny day in February than it is in July.
All true in theory, although I have yet to see it in the mid 50s by 3 or 4 pm in summer. I think that's a bit exaggerated. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top