Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 AM

186 posts, read 247,962 times

Advertisements

I read that San Francisco have an average of 259 sunny days a year but at the same time I saw some articles speaking about how Dull , windy , foggy and cold it might be for many days of the year .

is it really dull , windy and uncomfortably cold for many parts of the year

my initial understanding was that SF , have a pleasant or mild climate year around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 AM

262 posts, read 203,037 times
Yea man it’s not LA

Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 AM

3,484 posts, read 5,283,391 times
It's very subjective. I've asked people from British Columbia how they enjoy living there, and they say they can't get over how sunny it is, how perfect the climate is, and that they can count on Sunshine everyday. Then you ask someone from Los Angeles the same question, and they complain about how gray and wet it is, that it's so gloomy.

Everything is relative, and whether you come from a place with 150 days of sun or 320 days of sun, your answer might vary.

Keep in mind that the Bay Area as a whole is much sunnier and warmer than the city of San Francisco itself, which lies in an unfortunate microclimate at the top of the peninsula, where it's surrounded by chilly ocean water on three sides and exposed to constant northwesterly winds. As a result, it tends to be brisk and cool year-round, though it doesn't change all that much from winter to summer. That means summers are cold by most standards, but Winters are mild. You will see palm trees and flowers everywhere, and the city has not recorded a freezing temperature in nearly 30 years. But you almost always need a jacket, despite the Exotic vegetation. I would say it is an invigorating, crisp, but not cold climate with both clouds and sun. The mornings are usually foggy, then it becomes sunny. It's a daily cycle.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,038,900 times
Yes, it’s the main reason I moved out of SF. Some people love it though.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,769,583 times
Compared to Seattle gray, it's much, much better weather.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:46 AM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
I read that San Francisco have an average of 259 sunny days a year but at the same time I saw some articles speaking about how Dull , windy , foggy and cold it might be for many days of the year .

is it really dull , windy and uncomfortably cold for many parts of the year

my initial understanding was that SF , have a pleasant or mild climate year around
As another poster pointed out, it's subjective. I think SF's climate is wonderful. And depending on what part of town you live in, there will be less fog, more sun in the summers, and the fog is seasonal, anyway, not year-round. But the fog can be damp, and can cause temps to drop suddenly when it rolls in at night, even in the East Bay. So it's a damp-ish, penetrating cold. Nothing a proper warm jacket wouldn't insulate you against, though.

It's occasionally windy mainly in the westernmost parts of town, near the beach.

You could ask your question of any number of people, OP, and you might find that people who have grown up in the area love the fog, and appreciate the cool breezes off the ocean. Some newcomers hate it, and can't wait to leave. Without the fog and the cool breezes, the entire inner Bay Area wouldn't be as livable as it is, though. Some people just don't get the concept of "perfection".

Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,048,770 times
Personally, I don't like SF weather or the weather in Daly City, Pacifica, etc.. Plenty of people do though. One of the great things about the Bay Area is that there's pretty much weather for any taste. The micro-climates are especially noticeable in the Summer months.

I was in Sonoma yesterday and it was completely sunny and temps were in the high 70s. Driving home, I could see a thick fog bank hovering over the hills near the coast, indicating that it was completely gray and probably had temps over there around 50-60 degrees.

One thing people who aren't from the region may not realize is that around here, the term "San Francisco" typically refers only to the city of SF itself. The Bay Area as a whole encompasses nine different counties and has lots of different micro-climates...most of which get lots of sun and mild-warm temps throughout the year. Some inland locations regularly see temps in the 90s during the summer months.

Another thing to note is that the city of SF itself tends to have a late summer. The warmest months in SF are usually September and October. I've been in the city in September before when it hit 101 degrees!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:27 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,504,804 times
Yes, I think that is an accurate description of weather in many parts of San Francisco city proper. It is on the tip of a peninsula, so I find the weather marginal overall. However, you can move just a few miles away and have rather pleasant weather almost year-round. Oakland weather, for example, is warmer and sunnier. Keep in mind that I am from Southern California originally, so I prefer perpetual sun to perpetual fog. I have East Coast friends who seem unsatisfied with how mild it is in California in general. That is, it never "feels like Christmas" around Christmastime. It's a matter of perspective, I suppose. Weather in SF proper will be much more sunny and mild than it is in, say, Seattle.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:40 PM

23,605 posts, read 24,145,795 times
The weather in San Francisco never bothered me, I actually enjoy it. I describe it as a “place that feels like the AC was left on all the time”.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:47 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,882,893 times
I love SF summer weather its in the 90s here and humid. I will take it. I just take a vacation to the Bay soon just to get away from the heat for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland