Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

Hi we're a family of four moving to the Bay Area from Germany are there many Germans or other European immigrants here?

We understand that the rents are very high here we have a budget of $950,000, is that too low?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:05 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeireichNoack View Post
Hi we're a family of four moving to the Bay Area from Germany are there many Germans or other European immigrants here?

We understand that the rents are very high here we have a budget of $950,000, is that too low?

Thanks in advance.
There are approximately 250,000 European immigrants living in the Bay Area and the region is very cosmopolitan as more than half the population is either an immigrant or the US-born child of an immigrant.

As far as your budget, it depends on what your looking for, please let us know what city you'll be working in? What sort of house your looking for? Rent or buy? The Bay Area covers a very large geographic area with 100+ cities and towns so knowing where you'll be working would be helpful.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,495,899 times
Yes, please provide us with some more information so we can provide better direction.

I have German friends who lived in Berkeley for a couple years (doing post docs at Lawrence Berkeley Lab). There is a sizeable enough German population that you should be able to meet fellow ex-pats. For example, there is a Nature Friends situated in the Oakland Hills that may be helpful: Oakland Nature Friends

Old 06-23-2018, 04:21 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Yes... and Willkommen.

The Bay Area had a huge outward German speaking population prior to WWII...

Parts of the East Bay were home to many of the German Societies.

German speaking individuals have integrated very well... you can get government documents in many languages but German isn't one of them... guess that is because German speakers generally have English skills.

There are German festivals or more adeptly put co-opted festivals... each year the area in Oakland Dimond District near the Altenheim has a large street festival.... http://www.oaktoberfest.org/

We do have several German Restaurants... Schroeders in SF Financial District Schroeder's Restaurant is one that has been around for a very long time... others like Spiesekammer in Alameda Speisekammer Restaurant are more recent.

I find most of the German speaking population more in the suburbia... I'm always bumping into people in the Napa/Sonoma area and South Bay like Los Gatos and Santa Cruz mountains...

My Grandparents on Dads side would take me to the Nature Friends as a child...

They also had German newspapers... most are gone but this one is still around... http://www.californiastaatszeitung.com/

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-23-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 05:43 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes... and Willkommen.

The Bay Area had a huge outward German speaking population prior to WWII...

Parts of the East Bay were home to many of the German Societies.

German speaking individuals have integrated very well... you can get government documents in many languages but German isn't one of them... guess that is because German speakers generally have English skills.

There are German festivals or more adeptly put co-opted festivals... each year the area in Oakland Dimond District near the Altenheim has a large street festival.... Oaktoberfest.org – Oakland's Family Friendly Craft Beer Festival

We do have several German Restaurants... Schroeders in SF Financial District Schroeder's Restaurant is one that has been around for a very long time... others like Spiesekammer in Alameda Speisekammer Restaurant are more recent.

I find most of the German speaking population more in the suburbia... I'm always bumping into people in the Napa/Sonoma area and South Bay like Los Gatos and Santa Cruz mountains...

My Grandparents on Dads side would take me to the Nature Friends as a child...

They also had German newspapers... most are gone but this one is still around... CaliforniaStaatsZeitung.com - Deutsche Nachrichten, News, Sport, Wirtschaft 2012
OMG, I was just yesterday sorting things into boxes for donations and one of the boxes is labeled California Staats-Zeitung.

I had a paper subscription to CS-Z for several years way back when. I didn't realize it was still around, though apparently now headquartered in Sarasota, FL.

During my university days I was very active in German Club and other International groups.

I recall going to Speisekammer in Alameda once, and if I am not mistaken, there was a magician who'd perform for each table.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 PM

There was another paper called California Frei Press that I can't seem to locate online. It also had listing of German Swiss Austrian events when I was taking High School German

Anyone remember the KBAY Hugo Schneider program? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s-frwpeFUsY

I think the first song is German about coming to California

Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Default California Freie Presse

Quote:
There was another paper called California Frei Press that I can't seem to locate online. It also had listing of German Swiss Austrian events when I was taking High School German.
I remember that one, too (or another like it), vaguely.

Here are the details of California Freie Presse:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn95062841/

A very long time ago, I belonged to a German-American social club in the SF Bay Area. I recall that we met at various restaurants in San Francisco. The most memorable was Thanh Long, a Vietnamese restaurant that served each of us a whole roasted crab. I just checked and Thanh Long is still operating, perhaps with different owners by now.

Most likely I learned about the social club from one of the two newspapers' events section.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 06-23-2018 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Anyone remember the KBAY Hugo Schneider program? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s-frwpeFUsY

I think the first song is German about coming to California
Although I don't remember the program you mentioned, I clicked on your link and listened to the first song of that program on YouTube, and I don't recall ever hearing it before.

(Now I know why some of the oldest Germans I met accentuated the vowel "i" in Caleeeeeeeefornia. It hurts my ears!)

Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Try
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I remember that one, too (or another like it), vaguely.

Here are the details of California Freie Presse:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn95062841/

A very long time ago, I belonged to a German-American social club in the SF Bay Area. I recall that we met at various restaurants in San Francisco. The most memorable was Thanh Long, a Vietnamese restaurant that served each of us a whole roasted crab. I just checked and Thanh Long is still operating, perhaps with different owners by now.

Most likely I learned about the social club from one of the two newspapers' events section.
Thanks for the update... Always wondered what happened...

https://amerikawoche.com

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,457,822 times
These are statistics from American Fact Finder. While the German community is fairly small like what previous commentor said unlike other immigrant groups including Western Europeans such as the French they seem to be more concentrated in suburbs such as Sonoma, Marin, Los Gatos, Lafayette, and Walnut Creek.

Born in Germany
San Francisco 3,290
San Jose 2,155
Sunnyvale 761
Oakland 716
Mountain View 702
Berkeley 657
Palo Alto 560
Santa Rosa 528
San Mateo 518
Novato 466
San Rafael 450
Fremont 418
Walnut Creek 397
Redwood City 336
Santa Cruz 304
Hayward 283
Vacaville 268
Fairfield 264
Corte Madera 254
Santa Clara 249
San Ramon 235
Half Moon Bay 227
Larkspur 214
Castro Valley 213
Albany 211
Pleasant Hill 211
San Leandro 210
Foster City 207
Alameda 205
San Carlos 205
Daly City 202
Danville 196
Concord 184
Lafayette 177
Saratoga 174
El Cerrito 172
Menlo Park 170
Petaluma 170
Antioch 169
Pleasanton 169
Brentwood 166
San Anselmo 162
Los Altos 160
Napa 160
Pittsburg 159
Benicia 154
Milpitas 153
Vallejo 150
Calistoga 149
Tamalpais-Homestead 148
Livermore 146
Richmond 143
Burlingame 140
Pacifica 139
Dublin 136
Belmont 132
Los Gatos 122
Montara 117
Corte Madera 116
Morgan Hill 112
Sebastopol 110
Suisun City 107
Union City 106
San Bruno 104
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland