Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 AM

21,668 posts, read 16,200,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think it was pretty clear what I was talking about.

So what? The link I provided lists shelters all the way down the Peninsula. In fact that link shows that there are currently 3807 Homeless Shelters and Social Services available. Too freaking bad if a homeless person does not want to get help from any of the 3807 shelters and social services.

You are not the spoke's person for all the reasons homeless folks refuse to get help or stay in shelters. What a crock of excuses and nonsense you are always trying to peddle. Sure the streets are much safer and they never have to worry about getting their belongings stolen or being assulted. I work closely with the police in my area to combat the homeless mess and their menace to society behaviors and the number one reason they can't handle a shelter is due to not being able to follow the rules. Drugs and alcohol are far more important for many of them.

Again you are not the spoke's person for all the reasons why the homeless refuse help.

You can make all the excuses you want but I don't buy one single story you are trying to peddle.
What’s pretty clear is that you do not know your subject here.

And you think you are the spokesperson for all the reasons the homeless refuse help? The poster you responded to provides facts and figures and demonstrates experience. You on the other hand claim to “work closely with the police” and don’t explain how. As 2sleepy pointed out: citizens “working closely with the police” is usually code for calling in complaints ... and the police pretty much roll-eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 11:51 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,230,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, that link does not show that there are 3807 Homeless shelters and services; it is a statement at the top of the website with no explanation or link to these thousands of shelters.
Get up off your arse and do the leg work. The Bay Area offers more services and hand outs than any other state. There's a reason CA is known as the welfare state.
Quote:
Oh I bet you work closely with the police, you probably call 911 every time you see a homeless person. The Police do not "work closely" with individual citizens, what they do is humor the busybodies and chronic complainers and laugh at them behind their back.
Clear ignorance on your part speaking here. We have a tight community on NextDoor that helps identify the homeless who commit the crimes in our area such as stealing bikes and packages from our yards and front porches. Many people in this area have had to put up cameras's to identify these relentless homeless menaces in our area who steal. Yes the police works closely with us and together we are making progress. The police are fed up with people like you who make excuse after excuse for homeless behaviors. No other city in the US allows the homeless to be a constant menace to society. This state is full of people of your elk, look around at what you get in return for it.
Quote:
And I never said I was anyone's spokesperson but I have worked with the poor and the homeless for the last 30 years so I might just know a bit more about them than you.
Yep and so have I. You might tout that you know more than me or anyone else with respect to the homeless issue but you don't. You just like to blab that you do.
Your links are narrowed to the help available in the city of SF, however the entire Bay Area offers plenty of help and social services for those who can walk the line and abide by rules. If a homeless person truly wants help, help is available.

From my research, quite a few homeless in the Bay Area are from other states. California has a reputation for generous social services, high tolerance for this type of behavior, and a plethora of informal organizations that practically hand deliver everything needed to live on the streets. As I have noticed, there is a culture that believes anyone on the street is a victim and blameless for their situation. It's a strange cultural mindset. I believe that those that need a helping hand and is willing to live by society's laws should have every opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately, there are and always will be those unwilling or unable to do this. To dump scarce resources in their direction and enabling this behavior does a disservice to everyone.

My neighbor is Japanese and the homeless culture where she is from is much different than here. The chronic homeless are a small group. For the most part, the homeless understand their situation and do not create a social burden.

Here is an interesting video:
Why Japan's Homeless are Different from North America's

Those deemed unable to care for themselves becomes wards of the state and institutionalized. Again, the bleeding hearts that have never faced this first hand will crow about fascism, marginalization, etc and refuse to face reality. Some folks simply need to be checked into a facility and be kept under constant care. If a person's mental state is so degenerated, having them wander the streets does nobody any good.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:20 PM

872 posts, read 592,279 times
You nailed it! What's strange is that the same group used to run the state and federal care facilities are arguing against it!! So the money has changed hands...you think?
Many many people lost their jobs and those in need got hurt when the ACLU did their thing in court and tore the system apart. MANY many democrats did great things to help those in need and were mad when the mental and low security facility system was dismantled- jerry and gavin have let so many helpless people wander around and they only want the situation to get worse- an endless money toilet for them.
We can stop them and do what Japan does! There really are no bleeding hearts- the wandering homeless advocates are only interested in seeing their team "win" they have no heart at all as far as what they write displays- so many victims and uncared for people wandering around- unable to care for themselves, a harm to themselves, a harm to others..
I am pretty sure that there is enough civic pride in SF to say NO! we don't want to end up like New York.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
From my research, quite a few homeless in the Bay Area are from other states. California has a reputation for generous social services, high tolerance for this type of behavior, and a plethora of informal organizations that practically hand deliver everything needed to live on the streets.
Your research is lacking. Severely. Where do you get that from?
Quote:
According to the 2015 San Francisco Homeless Count, of the 7,539 people counted, 71 percent lived in the city before they lost housing. Only 10 percent came from outside the state and the remaining 19 percent came from elsewhere in California.

“We do know that across the country, when people become homeless, they tend to migrate to a city. That’s because it’s hard to experience homelessness in a suburban area. You might have to walk 4, 10, or 20 miles to the nearest service agency. So, people tend to move to cities, but there’s nothing about San Francisco in particular,” says Kushel.

According to Vega, the ratio of housed to unhoused people in San Francisco is unremarkable for a city of its size.

“Because we have a small dense metropolitan area and a lot of people are crowded into the same 4 square miles downtown, there is a perception that the problem is somehow much worse in San Francisco,” says Vega.
This story was originally published on June 21st 2016. It was updated on June 23rd 2017.
https://www.kqed.org/news/11001829/h...ve-got-answers
These homeless counts are conducted annually by big cities. The information is very comprehensive and publicly available. The % of transient homeless who move from other states is similar across the nation. Most homeless prefer to stay where they know people, relatives, former employers, drug dealers, public services, etc. Those who move are mostly transients that keep moving (and are often supporting themselves through petty crime.). Many homeless, of course, are incapable of making decisions or finding resources to change locations.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,230,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your research is lacking. Severely. Where do you get that from?
LOL get off of your tiny boat and start observing what's going on in the Bay Area. It's really that easy.

Your reading is lacking. I said quite a few come from other states. Using your source: 754 people is certainly quite a few...that's just for SF. Tally up the numbers for the rest CA and again it will be quite a few coming from other states.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-26-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
LOL get off of your tiny boat and start observing what's going on in the Bay Area. It's really that easy.
So you are saying that your “research” consists of your personal, visual observations? And that is more accurate than data research conducted by professionals in the field? This is what you base your certainty that others here just “like to blab like” they know what they are talking about (when they submit links to studies and research)? Really?

Old 06-26-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Your reading is lacking. I said quite a few come from other states. Using your source: 754 people is certainly quite a few.
That’s some backstroke you got going there. But anyway, no. It’s really not much of the problem as depicted. It’s 10%.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM

872 posts, read 592,279 times
Let's see--who has better ideas and solutions--Japan or "tulemutt" ?? Survey saaaaays .... Japan and NOT tulemutt ... its that simple but go ahead and type type type

Old 06-26-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
We have a tight community on NextDoor that helps identify the homeless who commit the crimes in our area such as stealing bikes and packages from our yards and front porches. Many people in this area have had to put up cameras's to identify these relentless homeless menaces in our area who steal. Yes the police works closely with us and together we are making progress.
So, as was said, “working closely with the police” consists of calling 911. And you should, of course. But that’s not “working closely with the police” as if you are solving the problem. Every crook they remove will be replaced by another in short order. Problem solving would involve either caring for homeless who steal because they have no option to survive ... or addressing society’s many cracks people fall easily through: education, low pay, income disparity, housing coats, domestic violence ... etc.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Let's see--who has better ideas and solutions--Japan or "tulemutt" ?? Survey saaaaays .... Japan and NOT tulemutt ... its that simple but go ahead and type type type
Hi TC.

Did tulemutt propose a solution here?

Does Japan have a dramatically different culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland