Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I think the Outer Sunset is a bit boring as you're isolated out there...I should know..I lived eight years at 43rd/Lincoln Ave.
I lived at 19th & Holloway for a year, and I agree it's a bit isolated... I guess that's why I liked it, since I'm not fond of the downtown crowds. It is beautiful, though, especially around the outer Sunset - I'd love to be at 43rd & Lincoln! I also liked the weather in that neighborhood, since I'm more into the fog & gloominess than most people... anyway, it's not good for the "full city experience", but I think it's a nice place if you're a quieter person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 44,107 times
Hmmm, well been in SF for about 4 yrs and while I was into it in the beginning, my feelings re: this city have went way downhill over the last 2 yrs. Basically, the asians own this town and while they have 5+ cars and own homes etc, they will charge you 1000 for a studio the size of a large closet. No joke.
Also, "liberalism" has run amok in this city. The streets smell like urine, I've stepped over too many piles of HUMAN ***** to count, everything is overpriced and basically, SF is over-rated. People have major attitude problems and are extrememly judgmental in terms of external appearances. Our city Govt along with all our municiple works depts etc are completely corrupt, the weather sucks not to mention if single forget about dating here.

If you are into the foo foo overpriced meals, bad attitudes, crackheads pissing in the street, overpriced rents (my apt includes it's very own mold making factory) then you will love it. If you are the type of person who is overely concerned with appearances, only buys expensive cars, clothes, etc, you will love it.

If you are an authentic, genuine person who isn't impressed by all that, well then you'll find yourself wanting to leave. Sure there are some cool free concerts in the park but what you have to put up with in exchange, well, it's not worth it to me. That's why I'm leaving. SF is an ok place to visit, but not to live. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 AM

34 posts, read 448,911 times
SF beaches are totally different from LA beaches. SF beaches are too cold to swim all year round. You need a wetsuit to get into the water.

But murder is down to 85 in 2006, from 95 in 2005. So there is one good news for you.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:06 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
This guy is full of it - on all accounts. Yes, the homeless probably his that bad, but I have never seen human ***** on the sidewalks or any where. Certain areas can smell like urine, but they are few and far in between and most people don't spend much time in those areas.

I've been to almost all 48 lower states and have lived in several cities in the US. San Francisco is the best city in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf3173 View Post
Hmmm, well been in SF for about 4 yrs and while I was into it in the beginning, my feelings re: this city have went way downhill over the last 2 yrs. Basically, the asians own this town and while they have 5+ cars and own homes etc, they will charge you 1000 for a studio the size of a large closet. No joke.
Also, "liberalism" has run amok in this city. The streets smell like urine, I've stepped over too many piles of HUMAN ***** to count, everything is overpriced and basically, SF is over-rated. People have major attitude problems and are extrememly judgmental in terms of external appearances. Our city Govt along with all our municiple works depts etc are completely corrupt, the weather sucks not to mention if single forget about dating here.

If you are into the foo foo overpriced meals, bad attitudes, crackheads pissing in the street, overpriced rents (my apt includes it's very own mold making factory) then you will love it. If you are the type of person who is overely concerned with appearances, only buys expensive cars, clothes, etc, you will love it.

If you are an authentic, genuine person who isn't impressed by all that, well then you'll find yourself wanting to leave. Sure there are some cool free concerts in the park but what you have to put up with in exchange, well, it's not worth it to me. That's why I'm leaving. SF is an ok place to visit, but not to live. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-20-2007, 03:20 AM

35 posts, read 354,611 times
It is a gorgeous city! It attracts millions of tourists each year. The people are very diverse and you'll hear a different language on every corner.
The crime stats are composed of the Bayview district which is not centrally located within the city.... it's down highway 101 .
In my opinion, there is no place like "The City by the Bay" Tony Bennett didn't leave his heart for nothin'.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:37 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
It truly is a great place. I lived there for almost four years. I can still smell the air off the Bay! I miss it, sometimes.

One of the problems is the flight of blue collar jobs, owing to the extremely business unfriendly government. Things like living wage laws, environmentalism, and domestic parnership laws are all very well and good, but if businesses can relocate away from them, and the expenses they entail, they will. And, they have.

This is common to a lot of urban areas. The unintended consequence of a lot of this idealistic do-gooderism is to turn cities into national parks for rich yuppies.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 22,998 times
Default San Francisco has changed....

I am so very sad to write that I agree totally with hjf3173's comments above.

People may think that San Francisco is "cool" for a while but once you've lived there for a certain amount of time that wears off.

I was born in San Francisco (which is a very rare thing these days) and lived between San Francisco and San Carlos for 26 years. I now live in New York and find it very conservative - but safe and clean and comfortable.

San Francisco is a wonderful playground. (My children really see it this way). However, it is dangerous, dirty and way too liberal. I also laughed and whole-heartedly agree with hjf3173's remark about overpriced restaurants. I lived in France for 17 years.

San Francisco's restaurants were wonderful when I was a young girl. We went out to authentic Mom and Pop restaurants with my grandparents weekly and we ate oh so well. Now, it's trendy and there is so much hype. People are paying for movies on walls or location. The food is very often something that I could whip up in 15 minutes without much planning and the meal is over in less than 1 hour. $80 later you're outside looking for somewhere to go.

It's overcrowded. Public transportation is awful. The city was not built for so many tourists, residents and most of all cars. When I was a teenager in the 70's we would drive from place to place and PARK for free. At 16 we would drive across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito to shop, then drive back to the marina, buy a sandwich at Safeway and sit on the green and eat then we'd walk around Fort Mason, drive down the wharf and then go to GG park for kicks. The zoo was free. We'd spend entire days going from here to there and park in front of everywhere.

Anyway, with all of this liberalism and influx of people it has lost most of it's charm. I certainly don't want to live there anymore.

One thing though, the nature, the beaches, the surrounding areas (Tahoe, Mendocino, Monterey Bay, Big Sur, the Santa Cruz mountains) are still breathtaking and there's nothing like walking along a beach path at fort Funston or the Cliff House or on a trail on a beautiful windy day in shorts and a sweatshirt. That's what I miss the most.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 PM

37 posts, read 149,525 times
First off, I loved the Pacifica pictures, Gizmo. The pier looked cool, and the bluffs, Rockaway maybe, down by Nick's? Pedro Point? Not quite sure.

I'm a fourth generation native. Born in Marin county (talk about an interesting place), but lived most of my life in the Bay Area, and the last 30 in Half Moon Bay. I love having SF nearby, but I wouldn't live there. I went to SF State (but graduated from UOP in Stockton), had kids that lived there at one time or another, but just not for me. Some people love it and wouldn't be anywhere else.

It's a costly place to live, but most places that I have any interest in living are expensive, I've noticed. The weather is great, there are lots of different places to visit and you can day-trip to most of them.

So, if you like living in cities, SF is nice on the whole. If you want to enjoy the charms of SF (and there are many) but don't want to be in the middle of it 24/7, perhaps down the coast (like Pacifica or Half Moon Bay) would work. You can be in the city in 20 minutes (from Pacifica. Half Moon Bay has that Devil's Slide mess to deal with). It isn't exactly cheap around here, either, however.

Good luck--relocating is a tough decision. We are trying to figure out where to go (in California) where we can sell out our expensive small house and pay cash for a bigger house on a nice chunk of land. And not be the only Democrats in town. And most of the population isn't incarcerated. And has a book store and an espresso shop and a couple of decent restaurants. And isn't smoggy. It's been a challenge.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
People are now moving to SF largely on the basis of just agreeing with the liberal ideas and politics. It's a city without balance. Families are moving out. The middle class is vanishing. The future of San Francisco looks dreary.

Then again, San Francisco will never fall victim like Los Angeles did. The open space, beautiful scenery, and weather is the glue that holds this city together.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM

277 posts, read 883,740 times
What is it about SF that makes people say it is dirty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland