Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:10 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Yeah. Except for every “drove” that’s leaving, there’s a couple more arriving. Strange eh?

Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
Being able to afford a $2.5 or $4 million dollar house in the inner bay area is a long way from being filthy rich around here.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:15 PM

with so many people leaving why do prices keep going up?
oh yes....more affluent people Keep moving in.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Being able to afford a $2.5 or $4 million dollar house in the inner bay area is a long way from being filthy rich around here.
  • Right when the per capita income in SF is only $49,986
  • Right when the when the median household income is $78,378
  • Right when the median family income is $93,391

One would have to be economically inept to think they can afford a $2.5 or $4 million dollar house on those incomes.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
with so many people leaving why do prices keep going up?
oh yes....more affluent people Keep moving in.
Do you understand the basics of living in a capitalist society? Do you understand that the wealthy in China and other countries are coming over here and buying up the real estate?

Foreigners buy record number of U.S. homes despite fears of immigration crackdown

How Chinese Real Estate Money is Transforming the San Francisco Bay Area

Yes because the affluent folks live in a completely different realm then the rest of us.

They live way above the filth on the grounds of SF.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
  • Right when the per capita income in SF is only $49,986
  • Right when the when the median household income is $78,378
  • Right when the median family income is $93,391
One would have to be economically inept to think they can afford a $2.5 or $4 million dollar house on those incomes.

families making $400-500K are very comfortable but are not rich let alone filthy rich in the bay area.

Metro: San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
Annual income required to be in the top one percent: $785,946
Average annual income of the top one percent: $2,168,628

Metro: San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
Annual income required to be in the top one percent: $964,238
Average annual income of the top one percent: $2,732,37

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/14/how-...us-cities.html

Old 07-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
families making $400-500K are very comfortable but are not rich let alone filthy rich in the bay area.
LOL you make a lot of assumptions. I would never consider a family that makes $400-500K filthy rich. That's what we make and we are certainly not filthy rich.

The filthy rich are those who can pay $4 to $10 million in cash for a house.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
It does not rank higher than M.D. Anderson no matter how you want to slice and dice it. In fact I almost was killed at Stanford...thankfully I escaped death due to my medical background.
I don't know if you have trouble reading lists or rankings but for overall best hospitals in the nation yes it does. Who cares what almost happened to you? Why do you think your personal opinions trumps studies and rankings?

The 2017-18 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
6. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
7. Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
8. New York-Presbyterian Hospital, N.Y.
9. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, Calif.

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...best-hospitals
Quote:
Well I suggest you take another look. The only methodologies listed are for travel, hotels, vacation, things to do, travel rewards programs and cruises. Not one methodology on ranking cities with the best food scene.
This list/article falls under their Best Vacations category clearly.
Quote:
No it's not actually food we are discussing. It's other peoples opinions on food and how they came up with their list. If these folks never stepped foot in Houston to try the food then yes it's important to know this...ya think?
Same difference. Do you constantly correct people with just another way of saying the same thing? Many of those lists also have Houston so clearly it was judged as well.
Quote:
No I am not going off of my opinion. Your taste buds don't have opinions. Something either tastes good or it does not. So it's my taste buds that have been all over Houston and all of the Bay Area that determine what tastes good and is quality food.
Do your taste buds transmit how food tastes to your brain? Does your brain use that to form an opinion? Your taste buds are part of YOU right? So yes it is YOUR opinion on food, what else would you call it?
Quote:
You can try and backpedal out of it but you clearly stated it.
I'm not backpedaling, considering "scientists" are not professional food critics or write articles about best food cities it clearly wasn't an actual "scientific consensus" I was referring to. I would have just said that instead of "consensus" like I initially did. It's you that appeared to have a reading comprehension problem with that statement is now trying to pin that on me.
Quote:
No let's stick with your 5 links.
Of course because you can't actually find one that ranks Houston ahead of NY let alone SF. So all you have is your lonesome opinion, sorry I mean your taste buds judgement? or whatever convoluted bizarre way you want to describe ranking which city has better food.

Not sure why you think your one opinion is right and every other list, study, ranking, etc..out there is "rubbish" or wrong simply because you don't agree with it. You're just one person, no matter how many times you repeat whatever opinion you have does not make it right or fact.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:08 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
You are trying to compare specialty hospitals with other large hospitals.
No that's what you're doing. For like the third or fourth time I was just talking about hospitals overall. I also recognized for some specializations Houston will have higher ranked hospitals but so will SF so it's a rather moot point. Did you intentionally forget that?
Quote:
Because it validates the long list of patients who have experienced harm at Stanford. There's a lot more than just my story.
Yet still doesn't seem to have affected how Stanford is ranked...
Quote:
Contrary to long-held beliefs, new studies reveal taste buds to be far more than simple conduits that immediately pass on information about sweet, sour, salty and bitter substances to the brain to tell us what we are eating and help us decide whether we want more or not. Research has shown that cells in the taste buds communicate with each other, actively accepting, rejecting and modifying taste stimuli through a complicated network of chemical and electrical signals before sending signals to the brain.

You should look up taste studies...you could learn a lot and erase all of you preconceived ideas about taste buds and opinions.

Also another fact that you should keep in mind is that people differ markedly in the number and distribution of taste buds, which may account for all of the discriminating palates of some and the insensitivity of others who find themselves inclined to salt their food even before they taste what they are about to eat.

Did you ever wonder how food scientists have been very successful at designing artificial taste stimulants that are highly specific?

How a restaurant in Austin, Texas, is bringing genetics into the kitchen

Here's a teaser: The molecular biology of taste transduction.
And your point being....? How does any of this matter when it comes to how the best food cities are judged and ranked overall? Just seems like you're trying to deflect.
Quote:
You indeed were backpedaling. You made a very silly statement that was just flat out wrong.
No I wasn't, you didn't comprehend my statement correctly. Again professional food critics aren't scientists so it's really bizarre you would actually that is what I was actually referring to initially.

Quote:
Methodology applies to any type of study or poll not just one's conducted in a laboratory.
Ok? Did you forget what we were just discussing? You accused me of saying that there was a "scientific consensus" of SF being a better food than Houston. When, again for the 3rd time, I was said there was a general "consensus" and only mentioned "scientific consensus" as an example you should have been able to relate to. I was trying to help you out there but of course you still don't get it and it went over your head. And now you're bringing up what a methodology is? You are all over the place, again a tactic to deflect.

But to recap, you still have not shown how Houston is a better overall food city and just have your own personal opinion regarding that. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but at least recognize that and stop trying to dismiss everyone else's opinion.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Depends on what list you look at and you are comparing general hospitals to the Texas Medical Center specialty hospitals. Apples to Oranges.

Also take a look at this ugly fact about Stanford.

Healthcare workers buy $882k radio ad to highlight high infection rates at Stanford University Medical Center

Stanford is not as great of a place as the it's hyped up to be. Neither is UCSF. I'm a Medical Lab Inspector for the State of CA. You would not believe the things I have seen from both of these facilities.

UCSF, St. Mary's hospitals fined by state

Pretty sloppy stuff going on at Stanford. $4.1M Settlement for 2010 Stanford University Hospital HIPAA Breach

MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine and several other specialty hospitals in the Texas Medical Center blows any hospital in CA out of the water.

I earned my degree from M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and it's ranked the #1 Cancer Center in the world...it's held this rank for years.

People who don't work in the medical professions have no understanding about the medical world
Hi pot here's kettle. You must be just a peach to be around. LOL

Houston area hospitals have been fined for all sorts of safety violations, doctors accused of taking kick backs, professional malpractice etc.

Here are a few recent examples:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...iolations.html

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...sues/376847249

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-13050094.php

https://www.click2houston.com/news/a...king-kickbacks

Etc.

The most respected hospital ranking in the US says UCSF ranks 5th in the US and Stanford ranks 9th.

The 2017-18 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
6. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
7. Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
8. New York-Presbyterian Hospital, N.Y.
9. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, Calif.
10. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
11. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
12. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
13. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
14. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh
15. University of Colorado Hospital, Aurora
16. Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Philadelphia
17. Duke University Hospital, Durham, N.C.
18. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
19. NYU Langone Medical Center, New York
20. Mayo Clinic Phoenix

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...best-hospitals

Blown out of the water indeed...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland