Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,178,829 times

Advertisements

Low income households make up the majority of Californians moving to TX, now it's getting to expensive there as well...
https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...ac-2-89522#ath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 01:09 PM

1,203 posts, read 828,415 times
At a 44% level of the COL of San Francisco, I will gladly call BS on this article. I think the median 2 bedroom apartments are running about $1300. It's all about the haircut you take when you move, but most people I know don't take even close to that much of a salary cut.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
At a 44% level of the COL of San Francisco, I will gladly call BS on this article. I think the median 2 bedroom apartments are running about $1300. It's all about the haircut you take when you move, but most people I know don't take even close to that much of a salary cut.
Just because Dallas has a much low COL doesn't mean there are more units available at the low end for low income renters. Did you even read the report it's referring to?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Just because Dallas has a much low COL doesn't mean there are more units available at the low end for low income renters. Did you even read the report it's referring to?
Did you even take the time to check the apartment listings in Dallas?

What's with you? Do you just like to argue with everyone?

The OP is implying that those who leave CA for greener pastures are having problems with affordability in Dallas. That's nonsense! If you're making $50k in SF, you merely need to make $28k in Dallas. It's not the people from CA that are having problems. Not to mention the CEO quoted just happens to have a book out on the topic (no ulterior motive there). In addition, landlords not accepting tenants is not an affordability issue, it's a discrimination issue. FAIL.

And I'm not going on for another 10 pages with your ridiculous arguments that have no basis of rationality (i.e wasted money on Bay Bridge and infrastructure).

You've got issues. I'm done conversing with you (blocked).

This message is hidden because sav858 is on your ignore list...music to my ears. Go talk to skygazer (you two are birds of a feather...argue, argue, argue).

Last edited by JJonesIII; 07-09-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 11:51 AM

18,962 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:
Did you even take the time to check the apartment listings in Dallas?

What's with you? Do you just like to argue with everyone?

The OP is implying that those who leave CA for greener pastures are having problems with affordability in Dallas. That's nonsense! If you're making $50k in SF, you merely need to make $28k in Dallas. It's not the people from CA that are having problems. Not to mention the CEO quoted just happens to have a book out on the topic (no ulterior motive there). In addition, landlords not accepting tenants is not an affordability issue, it's a discrimination issue. FAIL.

And I'm not going on for another 10 pages with your ridiculous arguments that have no basis of rationality (i.e wasted money on Bay Bridge and infrastructure).

You've got issues. I'm done conversing with you (blocked).

This message is hidden because sav858 is on your ignore list...music to my ears. Go talk to skygazer (you two are birds of a feather...argue, argue, argue).
It doesn't really matter what you think the OP is implying, there is an article and a subsequent report that he links to that explains it all. Maybe if you actually looked at it you'd understand the context better.

Pot meet kettle..yeah I'm the one with issues here....Hold grudges much?

Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:

The OP is implying that those who leave CA for greener pastures are having problems with affordability in Dallas.
Many actually do...

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...136478098.html

Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You can throw as many articles as you like and I'll simply look to basic math. A person would simply need to earn $13.45 an hour to get to the equivalent of $50k in the San Francisco region (and anyone with even the semblance of a skill should be able to do that). That gets you to $28k a year. One bedrooms are going for about $900 and 2 bedrooms roughly $1300. At $900 a month, that's $10.8k per year, so roughly 39% of gross income (very doable). And even if he were only at $10, that still gets him to just under $21k a year and he could still do it. If we're talking about a couple. they could each make about $7/hr. Now point to someone in SF that takes in $50k per year and trying to rent a 1br for $3500 a month ($42k a year). Hell, he wouldn't even have a fighting chance and a couple wouldn't fare any better. C'mon Man! There is absolutely no comparison between Dallas and the Bay Area. Why waste any more time on this. It's hyperbolic gibberish at it's best.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 07-10-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You can throw as many articles as you like and I'll simply look to basic math.
You seem a little too emotional about this. The fact of the matter is, rental rates in TX are rising very fast, so much so that there is now a shortage of affordable units in every major city there...we already see TX surpassing the Central Valley...

Average Rent April 2018:
Austin $1500
Houston $1350
Dallas $1300
Sacramento $1300
Ft Worth $1100
Reno $1100
San Antonio $1050
Fresno $950
Bakersfield $900
Las Vegas $900

https://www.walletwyse.com/articles/...l-price-index/

Austin will probably catch San Diego soon enough, Dallas is not really the huge bargain for lower income renters that it used to be. Houston too.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You seem a little too emotional about this. The fact of the matter is, rental rates in TX are rising very fast, so much so that there is now a shortage of affordable units in every major city there...we already see TX surpassing the Central Valley...

Average Rent April 2018:
Austin $1500
Houston $1350
Dallas $1300
Sacramento $1300
Ft Worth $1100
Reno $1100
San Antonio $1050
Fresno $950
Bakersfield $900
Las Vegas $900

https://www.walletwyse.com/articles/...l-price-index/

Austin will probably catch San Diego soon enough, Dallas is not really the huge bargain for lower income renters that it used to be. Houston too.
Right, because when someone actually shows you basic math and supplies you with information you can't refute, you call them emotional. Priceless. Aren't you the one that said you're a teacher? Do you instruct your students to use deflection when confronted with information that weakens their argument?

OK, let's recap here. 1 bedroom apartments are roughly $900, 2 bedrooms are roughly $1300 (why you feel the need to repeat this after I already supplied it to you, I don't know)...these are facts that you can readily look up (and there are currently apartments that are readily available...why don't you try looking it up?). It seems to me if there are apartments available, then someone must be lying (otherwise the availability would be zero). I've already shown you the math on what it would take in salary per hour. Those are also facts. And I guess, somehow you think people coming from CA can't earn a minimum wage of $7. Hmmm...interesting.

But sure, when you can't address this, you go and call someone emotional. What I think is scary is what people like you believe when you find an article instead of using some critical thinking skills (but everything you read on the internet has to be right...uh huh). No worries. Do continue on with whatever nonsensical links you can find instead of actually looking up the information and running numbers on it. It's better to be in your safe space. Enjoy your picnic.

P.S. There are plenty of places within 25 miles of Austin in the same range quoted above. You won't find anything like that in surrounding areas to San Francisco (or San Diego). You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 07-11-2018 at 02:05 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Right, because when someone actually shows you basic math and supplies you with information you can't refute, you call them emotional. Priceless. Aren't you the one that said you're a teacher? Do you instruct your students to use deflection when confronted with information that weakens their argument?

OK, let's recap here. 1 bedroom apartments are roughly $900, 2 bedrooms are roughly $1300 (why you feel the need to repeat this after I already supplied it to you, I don't know)...these are facts that you can readily look up (and there are currently apartments that are readily available...why don't you try looking it up?). It seems to me if there are apartments available, then someone must be lying (otherwise the availability would be zero). I've already shown you the math on what it would take in salary per hour. Those are also facts. And I guess, somehow you think people coming from CA can't earn a minimum wage of $7. Hmmm...interesting.

But sure, when you can't address this, you go and call someone emotional. What I think is scary is what people like you believe when you find an article instead of using some critical thinking skills (but everything you read on the internet has to be right...uh huh). No worries. Do continue on with whatever nonsensical links you can find instead of actually looking up the information and running numbers on it. It's better to be in your safe space. Enjoy your picnic.

P.S. There are plenty of places within 25 miles of Austin in the same range quoted above. You won't find anything like that in surrounding areas to San Francisco (or San Diego). You really have no idea what you're talking about.
What is this^? Wayyyyyy too much emotion, your posts tend to be that way. I dont know how old you are but do you think cyberbullying strangers online is going to win an argument? Lol@the yawnworthy attempt at snark.

Furthermore there are countless articles from TXs largest and most respected media outlets about an affordability crisis...I'll let them all know they are wrong and you are right. lol.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opi...e-12389982.php

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...ental-housing/

https://www.npr.org/2017/09/18/55172...ricane-victims

Dallas Is On the Map of Places Where Its Tough For Many to Fund a Home | Dallas Observer

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...-in-north.html

Why Dallas And Other Cities Struggle With Affordable Housing

https://empowertexans.com/around-tex...ousing-crisis/

New data sheds light on Austin rent affordability crisis

So in fact, lower to moderate income Californians moving to Texas thinking theyll find an abundance of cheaper housing might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Not sure why that fact upsets you so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland