U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,464 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving up to SF from SD for a while to take a job in the financial district, where I will live come May, and I will be able to walk to work. For the month of April however, I was not able to find a place nearby, and I will have to commute from roughly Van Ness/O'Farrell meaning that from what I have read I will have to take the 38 Geary bus.

From what I have read on Yelp I am wondering if I should walk or take a taxi every day, because it sounds downright scary. Are the things I am reading about this bus accurate? I mean, I am an extremely physically imposing man, so I am not really concerned about crime or people messing with me, but the descriptions I have read are nonetheless somewhat horrifying - vomit, blood, hoodlums and homeless everywhere, smells - is this more so an overactive imagination or is the bus line really this bad? Are there other options? I don't have a bike yet, so it's mass transit or a taxi for the next 3+ weeks...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:05 PM

3,091 posts, read 5,773,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katama77 View Post
Are there other options?

Several other options. You can take the 2,3 or 4 from Post/Sutter. Another idea is to take the California Street line cable car. Walk 6 short blocks north to California and board the cable car for a direct ride to the financial district. This might be slow but it is way better than walking or paying for a taxi everyday. You can get a April Muni pass for $45 and you can ride the cable car free all month as part of the monthly pass.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:14 PM

254 posts, read 1,143,139 times
I'm a 5'2" petite girl who took the 38 Geary every day for about 7 years, at all hours of the day and night. It's definitely not the worst bus there is, and if you can take a Limited or Express bus, it's pretty fast. During commute times, its pretty much full of, well, commuters. And students.

I did experience one - ah- episode on the bus while a homeless man-er-entertained himself in the seat next to me and we were the only two people on the back of a double long bus. That was a little disconcerting, and a picture that has been forever burned in my memory.

Don't sweat it.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,464 times
Cool, thanks guys. The 3 and 4 from Post/Polk also look like good options.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,864,558 times
I wouldn't worry about it, especially of you're "extremely physically imposing."

There's the possibility of bums, thugs, trash, vomit and other questionable substances on ANY Muni bus. The 38 is probably somewhere above the middle for safety and nastiness levels, but that's because it's the busiest bus line in the entire city. I think it carries around 50,000 passengers per day. That's another thing: The 38 runs every few minutes, and it's almost always crowded, save for the middle of the night. Given the fact that there are tons of people around at most times on the 38, and you say you're an imposing guy, I wouldn't worry at all. I wouldn't worry even if you were a puny little dude too, it's not that bad. Even the sketchiest characters tend to mind their own business most of the time. The only time I would really worry when riding the bus in SF is if you're riding one through the projects in different parts of the city, especially in Hunters Point and Sunnydale as they're the most isolated you can get. You'll be fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 PM

7,688 posts, read 28,004,240 times
Yeah it can be scary taking the T south of the Caltrain station, or the 9-San Bruno, if you're not used to it. Even the 22 bus in San Jose, which basically goes straight down King street into the middle of oblivion, never freaked me out that much. But if you sit back and realize nothing is actually happening, in spite of appearances, you come to the realization that it's not so bad. It's just people going where they go. I probably have more 'oh, crap!' moments in my car.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 PM

29,869 posts, read 49,545,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yeah it can be scary taking the T south of the Caltrain station, or the 9-San Bruno, if you're not used to it. Even the 22 bus in San Jose, which basically goes straight down King street into the middle of oblivion, never freaked me out that much. But if you sit back and realize nothing is actually happening, in spite of appearances, you come to the realization that it's not so bad. It's just people going where they go. I probably have more 'oh, crap!' moments in my car.
Funny... one of my roommates takes the T-Third through Bayview every day, and the other takes the 9 San Bruno (9x usually) to work. They've both survived just fine, and one is a woman while the other is a VERY slender young man. They have told me a number of stories, mostly about thuggish & rude kids on the 9x, but otherwise it hasn't been so bad! And yes, I've had many more "oh crap" moments while driving, especially with my current commute up I-80 & across two bridges.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,864,558 times
The 9 is usually fine, but it does briefly go through Sunnydale, and those are some sketchy ass projects. The worst would have to be a trip through hunters point on the 44, 54, or 19, which wander through the projects for a good time, with nothing else around.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 PM

409 posts, read 1,780,816 times
ignore yelp.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM

29,869 posts, read 49,545,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
ignore yelp.
LOL... I love Yelp, but you're right! I always say that for every great review, there are at least a few terrible ones - even if they're reviewing something like the San Francisco Symphony, or the best restaurants in town. Always a complainer in the bunch, huh? People also have varying levels of tolerance, as I've noticed from posting on this forum... one person's ghetto is another's paradise, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland