Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Right. It does make a toxic soup to live in. But your CCW would do what, exactly, in the case of a blind sucker punch to the head, or a blind stabbing? There was no warning in these three crimes in the article.

I see one of the victims was a 47 year old homeless man. Another an 18 year old black girl. The third a 51 year old local resident. No connection to the crimes. Just random insanity.
No such thing as a "blind sucker punch" or "blind stabbing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So Proud Boys who protested against the killing of Nia Wilson were attacked. Nice.

SHOCK VIDEO: Member Of Right-Wing Group Faces Brutal Beating | The Daily Caller
Yeah I highly doubt they were protesting against the killing of Nia Wilson, why would they? Your source, even as biased as it is, doesn't state that.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:10 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's really not that difficult to look up information.

What we know about deadly stabbing at Oakland's MacArthur BART station

Just a little snip-it from the article.

THE SUSPECT:

Rojas says officers watched several addresses for him in two counties, *but he is also listed as homeless*
Nope instead my phrase was clarified by what I read.
The reason the homeless are such a huge issue in CA is directly related to the "bleeding heart" mentality of voting the police's authority away as well as voting to be soft on crime.

Sure I can when the stats show that 25-30% of homeless suffer from serious mental illness.
Mmmm. Here’s what the article says (and, btw, is not the same article you linked in the post I responded to ... )
Quote:
Rojas says officers watched several addresses for him in two counties, but he is also listed as homeless.
... what this says is: they don’t know if he is homeless. He is listed as homeless and also as having two possible addresses. Criminals often report themselves as homeless when stopped for questioning or arrested. Why? Because they don’t want authorities to know where they live to get warrants to search the place.

That said, as I said before, he may well be homeless. Point was and remains: you don’t know.

As to the bleeding hearts “voting the police's authority away as well as voting to be soft on crime“, please explain. Give an example of authority being voted away ... and voting to be soft on crime. Got laws?

Yes, 25%-30% of homeless have serious mental illness. And, conversely, 70+% don’t. Further, 5% of all 330 million non-homeless Americans suffer serious mental illness (that would be 16.5 million sufferers), while 20% phase through mental illnesses every year:
Quote:
Government survey finds that 5 percent of Americans suffer from a 'serious mental illness' About 20 percent of American adults suffer some sort of mental illness each year, and about 5 percent experience a serious disorder
Thus, since there are roughly ½ million homeless in the country at any given time, and if 30% of them have serious mental illnesses, that’s approximatley 150,000 out of 16,000,000 seriously mentally ill Americans. Meaning there are about 16,350,000 seriously mentally ill NON-homeless persons roaming about.

The correlation between mental illness and homelessness is that some mentally ill become homeless as a result of their inability to cope coupled with lack of resources. Homelessness does NOT = mental illness. The two conditions can exist entirely apart from each other ... or can sometimes be co-morbid. It is grossly inappropriate to conflate the two without qualification.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No such thing as a "blind sucker punch" or "blind stabbing".
You can’t be that sheltered. People get suckered punched and stabbed from their blind spots every ‘effing day all around the world. And a CCW is worthless to an unanticipated attack unleashed in an intimate instant.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sadly, some people thrive off of vilification as a way to claim idealogical superiority, feign indignation and basically point the finger anyone that is different from themselves.

The SF forum has always atttacted people like that who come here to vent their anti liberal positions.

It's a slippery slope that gets dangerous when people allow themselves to get lulled into outright hatred for others based on race, culture, etc.

Hopefully the attitudes in this thread that clearly demonstrate those tendencies will change.
Word, brotherman

Old 07-24-2018, 03:39 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Mmmm. Here’s what the article says (and, btw, is not the same article you linked in the post I responded to ... )
Do you know why I linked a different news story? Because the one I originally linked did not state he was currently listed as homeless.
Quote:
... what this says is: they don’t know if he is homeless. He is listed as homeless and also as having two possible addresses. Criminals often report themselves as homeless when stopped for questioning or arrested. Why? Because they don’t want authorities to know where they live to get warrants to search the place.

That said, as I said before, he may well be homeless. Point was and remains: you don’t know.
Well how about this...I would be willing to bet he's homeless especially after just getting out of prison. His past makes it clear that he does not have many folks who would want to be around him. Heck he did not even pay for his Bart ticket on July 18th resulting in a citation. John Lee Cowell, 27, has a lengthy criminal record, police say.

Here's a story that say's he's a 27 year old transient.

Stabbing suspect arrested in ‘vicious’ BART killing in Oakland
Quote:
As to the bleeding hearts “voting the police's authority away as well as voting to be soft on crime“, please explain. Give an example of authority being voted away ... and voting to be soft on crime. Got laws?
Look up prop 47. Go talk to the police...maybe they can fill you on what's been blatantly obvious since this prop passed.

They can't even arrest for bike theft if the bike cost less than $950. Gives a green light to bike thieves. Why do you think the bike chop shops are in our faces?

Educate yourself or better yet just go speak to the local police and allow them to educate you.

California Cops Frustrated With 'Catch-And-Release' Crime-Fighting
Quote:
Yes, 25%-30% of homeless have serious mental illness. And, conversely, 70+% don’t.
25-30% of a small population is a lot. I take it your not a statistics sharpie.
Quote:
Further, 5% of all 330 million non-homeless Americans suffer serious mental illness (that would be 16.5 million sufferers), while 20% phase through mental illnesses every year:
Thus, since there are roughly ½ million homeless in the country at any given time, and if 30% of them have serious mental illnesses, that’s approximatley 150,000 out of 16,000,000 seriously mentally ill Americans. Meaning there are about 16,350,000 seriously mentally ill NON-homeless persons roaming about.
Interesting with so many NON-homeless mentally ill folks we have in the US we don't find as many of them doing the horrendous crimes the mentally ill homeless folks commit. Mentally ill people wondering the streets is not good for any society.
Quote:
The correlation between mental illness and homelessness is that some mentally ill become homeless as a result of their inability to cope coupled with lack of resources.
In addition to their drug use that they use as an excuse to cope which fuels their mental illness.
Quote:
Homelessness does NOT = mental illness.
Not one single person in this thread has made this claim so I am not sure why you felt you had to address it.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-24-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 05:03 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
So 7 out of 10 people can work and function in society and choose to lay around all day doing drugs eating at soup kitchens and party all night when there not out stealing other people's property. I dislike them more then the mentally ill.

And the fact that California condones and even enables this new homeless society is enraging

We'll see how long SF puts this deranged killer in jail. Or will it be Kate Steinle 2.0

Old 07-24-2018, 05:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Bart and sf welfare decided years ago to give free passes to the down and out
Instantly A middle class mass transport system became ghetto -once again jamming up the freeways

Old 07-24-2018, 05:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,153 times
Well said Matadora

Old 07-24-2018, 05:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So 7 out of 10 people can work and function in society and choose to lay around all day doing drugs eating at soup kitchens and party all night when there not out stealing other people's property. I dislike them more then the mentally ill.

And the fact that California condones and even enables this new homeless society is enraging

We'll see how long SF puts this deranged killer in jail. Or will it be Kate Steinle 2.0
This didn't occur in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland