Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Santa Cruz sure as it's pretty much the exception in Northern CA since it faces south so it gets sunnier and warmer than everywhere else up here. Water is still too cold though. The rest though, in comparison to the east coast and Southern CA they're relatively empty and certainly don't resemble your stereotypical summer beach scene that most people enjoy.
Exactly, Santa Cruz is the exception to the weather that dominates 95 percent of the NorCal coast. But that's why it's sooo packed. I'll bet those 5 percent of beaches that are warm and sunny most of the year attract 90 percent of NorCal's beach goers. Especially with its proximity to the highly populated Silicon Valley.

I don't mind Santa Cruz's water temps being cool, bc I generally find the ocean everywhere in California to be too cold for 11 months of the year anyway. The one time San Diego (where I now live full time) hits record breaking 80f water temps, I'm spending the summer near San Francisco. By the time I get back in a couple weeks, I'll probably have missed it. I did dip my feet into 74f water a few years ago, but that still felt cold for someone who's used to swimming pools. The point is, west coast beaches are mostly about the beach, not about the water, at least for most of the year. So Santa Cruz hits the spot for beachgoing. All you really need is sand and palm trees. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I believe on the day in question, Brentwood was 108f. I've actually seen temp spreads in August of 55 degrees between coast and inland, so her example isn't unusual. I've never paid attention to this writer's weather articles.
It was 101 in Brentwood that day.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly, Santa Cruz is the exception to the weather that dominates 95 percent of the NorCal coast. But that's why it's sooo packed. I'll bet those 5 percent of beaches that are warm and sunny most of the year attract 90 percent of NorCal's beach goers. Especially with its proximity to the highly populated Silicon Valley.

I don't mind Santa Cruz's water temps being cool, bc I generally find the ocean everywhere in California to be too cold for 11 months of the year anyway. The one time San Diego (where I now live full time) hits record breaking 80f water temps, I'm spending the summer near San Francisco. By the time I get back in a couple weeks, I'll probably have missed it. I did dip my feet into 74f water a few years ago, but that still felt cold for someone who's used to swimming pools. The point is, west coast beaches are mostly about the beach, not about the water, at least for most of the year. So Santa Cruz hits the spot for beachgoing. All you really need is sand and palm trees. :-)
You didn't even give it a chance, if you would have dived fully in it really doesn't take more than a few minutes to become acclimated to where it doesn't feel cold anymore.

Southern CA beaches are about the water during summer, I was swimming in Santa Monica in late October last year because the water was still around 70. I would not lump SoCal's beaches in with the rest of the west coast, totally different vibe and feel.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM

317 posts, read 307,942 times
One of the few things I love about travelling from home in Fremont to work in Brisbane, its usually a lot cooler at the Brisbane marina than the East Bay in summer. I grew up in San Francisco and got used to the cool, foggy summers until September/October when it warms up. I thought I wanted warmer weather and at least 3 seasons when I moved to Fremont. That move made me realize I actually like the cool, foggy weather and hearing the fog horns and don't necessarily like the 90+ days. There's no going back to the City now, but plan to eventually move north on the coast where fog is in abundance, but doesn't have a cool name like Karl.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You didn't even give it a chance, if you would have dived fully in it really doesn't take more than a few minutes to become acclimated to where it doesn't feel cold anymore.

Southern CA beaches are about the water during summer, I was swimming in Santa Monica in late October last year because the water was still around 70. I would not lump SoCal's beaches in with the rest of the west coast, totally different vibe and feel.
I don't find the SoCal vibe very different from places like Pismo, Capitola (pictured), or Santa Cruz (pictured), but very different from other NorCal places like Monterey, Half Moon Bay, or Pt Reyes, for example. They aren't all one flavor.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I don't find the SoCal vibe very different from places like Pismo, Capitola (pictured), or Santa Cruz (pictured), but very different from other NorCal places like Monterey, Half Moon Bay, or Pt Reyes, for example. They aren't all one flavor.
And the vast majority of Nothern CA beaches/coast are like Monterey, Half Moon Bay, and Pt Reyes, not Santa Cruz.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,324 times
Somebody said they love the microclimates here, apart from the dubious joy of shocking visitors, I tolerate them.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
And the vast majority of Nothern CA beaches/coast are like Monterey, Half Moon Bay, and Pt Reyes, not Santa Cruz.
Exactly, I said previously that SC probably represents only about 5 percent of the NorCal coast. But I'd say it attracts the vast majority of beach goers. Most other beaches (except maybe Stinson) attract more the beachcombing types. In any case, NorCal is lucky to have that one little taste of California beach life in SC.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Exactly, I said previously that SC probably represents only about 5 percent of the NorCal coast. But I'd say it attracts the vast majority of beach goers. Most other beaches (except maybe Stinson) attract more the beachcombing types. In any case, NorCal is lucky to have that one little taste of California beach life in SC.
Sure but I still wouldn't try to lump SoCal with them even if they do likely attract the majority of beachgoers in Northern CA. The water is so much warmer in Southern CA it makes a big difference imo. Southern CA are very much about the water too during summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland