Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,771 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I moved to Northern NV almost 5 years ago.
The reason we moved was of course because the cost of living in the bay area was crazy. We both were born and raised there and after the birth of my son decided to move here to NV so I could stay home. So my husband relocated we bought a house then sold it and now are in a bigger and better house. We had another kid and I went back to work, he stays home.

Well I don't know I just always wanted to go back to the bay area. I know it's congested and over priced but I guess because I have so many memories there and feel like its still "home". Anyways my old employer called me and said they want me to come back. My husband who initially said no way because we have such a nice house is now thinking we should. We still have family there even though my parents left. My mother in-law my father and of course all of our friends. My question is are the housing prices really starting to fall? It would be hard for me to go back and rent again. My friend lives in Fremont and pays 2k a month, that is more then my mortgage. I looked on realtor.com and looks like prices have gone down a bit. I guess after leaving the bay and coming here it is hard to walk away from those wages too. The people here or should I say the natives all seem like inbreds and either have a meth problem or are alcoholics. I just feel out of place. It's funny the only real friends we have made here are transplants from Ca.

So my question is have the prices really dropped ? If not do you think they will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Compared to 5 years ago? Prices will be quite a bit higher, but they're trending down and nothing is really selling except in the most desirable areas. People can't get financing since the whole subprime house of cards came down, and banks are overreacting in the other direction now with extremely tight standards to avoid more bad loans.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
I'd have to say it all depends on which city you want to move to. Prices are dropping and will continue to do so but some areas of course, are still VERY expensive, even if prices drop 40%. Parts of the East Bay (Dublin, San Ramon,Concord etc) and outer Bay area like Solano county are becoming more affordable to the average family. However, places like the Peninsula, SF, and Marin, of course are still ridiculous for the majority of people. Who knows how far or how long it will take for prices to come down to more normal levels. The good news is that prices will not be going up any time soon so the longer you hang tight in NV, the better you'll be purchasing in the Bay area when you decide.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:07 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
Yes, they are dropping and will continue to do so but it could be years before buying is a good value compared to renting. If you want a good school district, you'll be paying a lot even if prices drop a lot. If you're really tempted, why not pay a visit to your family and ask a realtor to show you what's available in good school districts in your price range?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 PM

175 posts, read 795,533 times
Default Realtors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Yes, they are dropping and will continue to do so but it could be years before buying is a good value compared to renting. If you want a good school district, you'll be paying a lot even if prices drop a lot. If you're really tempted, why not pay a visit to your family and ask a realtor to show you what's available in good school districts in your price range?
Just make sure you are preapproved for a loan before you waste the realtors time. They won't even let you into a house without that letter. Also, they are right you will PAY for the good school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland