Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, unfortunately, I'm not getting any responses that I can use to "sell" Oakland as a destination location that's safe or interesting enough to plan a day trip around. That's sad to me. I had hoped that things had changed, but it doesn't look like it has.
Your friends are early 30's something man bun wearing Russian expats .... and they need someone to "convince" them to explore Oakland for a DAY TRIP?

Sound like they are better off staying on the usual well beaten tourist paths around California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I re-read your OP, since you're unhappy with the responses you got, and it sounds like you wouldn't be accompanying them? I'd somehow assumed you'd be going with them, to show them around. Would they be on public transit, then? They're not renting a car?

I think the zoo (see videos on youtube, especially the new "California trail", where visitors ride gondolas over the park to get to the new area, and view the habitat from raised walkways), and the redwood park are the best bets. It's not the typical urban tour, but that might be a good thing, to dispel any negative PR they've heard about Oakland. If they want some urban flavor, after those attractions, they could walk Lake Merritt, and from there walk over to Piedmont Avenue, and putter around? I don't understand why you're not happy with the suggestions here.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lake Temescal. The redwood forest, for sure! I like the Oakland museum, but they might think it's boring--just a city/regional museum. You might take them to Lawrence Hall of Science, the exploratorium, in the hills above UC.
The Oakland Museum is not boring at all, they have really relevant and current exhibits with a local spin. A hip hop exhibit just closed that had everything from graffiti to dance to games to revelutionary politics.

They are really good at doing exhibits that integrate hustory, culture and politics.

Also every friday is food trucks and live music.

There is an Urban Farming exhibit right now. Thatbwas jnteresting but not my fave. The musuem is lively on fridays.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Thereare also a few organizations doing urban wine tours in Oakland, or you can just do your own self-guided one while hanging out at Jack London.

Frankly, it is impossible to plan a day trip based on information as limited as they are 30 and speak pretty good English.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
Are you not able to see all of the responses? People have provided literally dozens of suggestions that are all safe and interesting if your friends like food, the arts, the outdoors, music, or museums.

My top picks would be:
- Oakland Museum on a Friday night (half-price admission to the galleries, music, food trucks) or for the Dia de Los Muertos celebration.
- Redwood Regional Park or Roberts Regional Park for short hikes to see the redwood forests (if they have a car)
- Lake Merritt
- Chinatown for a food walk (this is a good guide: https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakla...nt?oid=6037748)
- Paramount for a classic movie

Or just send them the New York Times' guide to it:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...alifornia.html

Not my top picks but a perfectly good list of things to do.

The Eat Real Festival in Jack London Square is also coming up next weekend and usually showcases a fun array of local restaurants. If they're here through the fall, they should go see Luna Mexicana at the Paramount in early November.

Any combination of these things can easily fill a day, if their goal is to make it worth the drive from Silicon Valley.
Please look back at the responses prior to this one. There wasn't anywhere near a dozen ideas, let alone multiples of dozens of ideas.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thereare also a few organizations doing urban wine tours in Oakland, or you can just do your own self-guided one while hanging out at Jack London.

Frankly, it is impossible to plan a day trip based on information as limited as they are 30 and speak pretty good English.
Actually, I gave a lot more info than just that. He's in IT, she's a make-up artist, they are into adventures and experiencing new things. I also listed some places they've been to that they loved.

I just think the list of things given so far are pretty boring. If you were going to "sell" an Oakland adventure for a day trip, what would you specifically tell them their itinerary should be?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Actually, I gave a lot more info than just that. He's in IT, she's a make-up artist, they are into adventures and experiencing new things. I also listed some places they've been to that they loved.

I just think the list of things given so far are pretty boring. If you were going to "sell" an Oakland adventure for a day trip, what would you specifically tell them their itinerary should be?

I give up.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,903 times
Quote:

I think this is the issue. If this is a trip for you, you should just propose whatever sounds most interesting to you. But you asked specifically for suggestions for your friends, and people have supplied a list of Oakland activities that are popular with most 30-somethings who fit their description. Will they like these things too? Who knows--but you can just pass the list along and let them decide for themselves. It is certainly the case that Oakland's arts and culture scene is increasingly geared at 20- and 30-somethings these days and is what "sells" Oakland to them, but may not interest people who aren't in that demographic as much.

Here are some other day trip guides to Oakland, but they all include the same sorts of things--that's what most people come for.
https://www.sunset.com/travel/california/oakland
https://matadornetwork.com/life/24-hours-oakland/
https://californiathroughmylens.com/...rs-in-oakland/

Old 09-07-2018, 08:44 AM

I like smaller cities and interesting neighborhoods, but you aren’t going to find a touristy day in any place.

I have the same template for everywhere.

1. Find the local coffee roaster
2. Have breakfast or brunch with locally made pastries or a local specialty
3. Find a museum or urban park to stroll through.
4. Do a walking tour or food tour.
5. Find a good walkable neighborhood for lunch and window shopping
6. Find a good bookstore
7. Find a different walkable area for dinner. Eat at a destination neighborhood place
8. Optional - see a play, comedy show
9. Find a hip cocktail bar

I’ll research which places fill these buckets and go from there. It probably sounds boring for you. But this is what I do, all my friends do and so on. When that seems too busy it is breakfast, lunch or food tour, neighborhood stroll, dinner and drinks.

The whole point of going to a city Oakland’s size is to get a feel for how locals live.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 AM

IDK, color me "crazy", I guess, but to me, seeing the zoo, which is far from a standard zoo, and nothing like anything Russia has, and is extensive; then the redwood park (ditto), plus strolling Lake Merritt and visiting the Oakland Museum en route, along with whatever shops or eateries catch their interest along the way, sounds like a full day, to me, with out being too full, or tiring. The only component missing would be evening entertainment, but I'm not sure if "evening" is included in the definition of "day trip". It's guaranteed that they won't be expecting the zoo and redwood forest environments in a visit to Oakland, given what they've heard of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland