U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 15,542 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Long story short. I am an international student here at UC Berkeley. I have been living here since July 2017.
I've always wondered whether it would be nice to give money to the homeless we see on the streets?

I walk from my apartment to school every day. It just breaks my heart to see these people thrown on the streets. You should be ashamed American.

I've asked many people about this. Some tell me:'' Just forget about it! Homeless people have shelters, but they refuse to go there and want to be on the streets to get high or whatever, and they do get paid from the US government''.

On the other hand, some say shelters cannot take care of all the homeless in the Bay area, please help them! They deserved to be helped.

Of course, sometimes you won't give money to the homeless if you see them are getting high in front of you.

I am confused. If I don't give, I just feel I am being so selfish. They deserve our help.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 04:34 PM

3,958 posts, read 8,093,114 times
I smell a troll.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:41 PM

I am not playing in here. I am asking questions to people that I don't know, what made you think I am trolling here!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:10 PM

1,400 posts, read 956,804 times
Don't give them money, you cannot trust that they will use it for food or necessities. What people told you is correct, many already receive money from the government and food from soup kitchens. I have no issue giving them food. Unfortunate as it is, we cannot help everyone in the world.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:38 PM

3,958 posts, read 8,093,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begoodtome View Post
I am not playing in here. I am asking questions to people that I don't know, what made you think I am trolling here!
I apologize if you are not trolling. It's just a strange topic to start on this forum with. Never give money. If you want to help, then donate to a legitimate organization.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Don't give them money, you cannot trust that they will use it for food or necessities. What people told you is correct, many already receive money from the government and food from soup kitchens. I have no issue giving them food. Unfortunate as it is, we cannot help everyone in the world.
Thanks. I do sometimes give them food, sometimes I buy salads bars and sandwiches and give to the homeless. One I bought canned food and bread and gave it to a homeless who thanked me a lot and he cried, It broke my hear. The thing is that I don't always buy or carry food, so a $5 or even a couple of single dollars is the easy option.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I apologize if you are not trolling. It's just a strange topic to start on this forum with. Never give money. If you want to help, then donate to a legitimate organization.

Thanks. I do apologize as well. Donation is good, but I don't really know what/how/when they are going to use these donations on.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:13 PM

32,230 posts, read 35,603,407 times
No. Just don't.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:42 PM

20,623 posts, read 20,211,872 times
I wouldn’t give money, but you can do whatever you want with your money. I think giving money does more damage than good and lowers the quality of life of that community.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:30 PM

18,666 posts, read 25,847,979 times
When I lived in Redding, CA, there were posters all over town that said "Don't feed the problem." And the point was, to please donate to the homeless organizations - instead of - giving cash to the homeless population.

As an example, there is a TON of free food for homeless or low income people in CA - in every single county or city. So, if you see a homeless person's sign that says they need food - you can assume that they are'n't telling you the truth. They can get a TON of free food - including free hot meals.

So, then, why do they need cash? Often, it's to pay for a drug habit.

Just today I had a conversation with someone who said she tried to give a sandwich to a homeless person who had a sign that said they need food - only to have that person tell her he wanted cash and not food. He turned down her offer of a sandwich.

I have no judgment about homeless people - but - I won't subsidize a drug habit, etc. I am willing to feed them, but anything beyond that I believe is the government's job. And, I'm okay with subsidizing the government to deal with this, in using my local taxes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or