U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:16 PM

12 posts, read 5,333 times

Advertisements

Dublin is exactly like Marin - beautiful, eye catching and lovely! It is not next to the sea like Marin is, but the East side of Dublin is just mind blowing.. I am recommending Dublin to everyone for this reason. I live here and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 AM

70 posts, read 55,537 times
I think half of New Zealand feels like Marin IMO

Old 02-25-2019, 08:19 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,562,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindafamily View Post
Dublin is exactly like Marin - beautiful, eye catching and lovely! It is not next to the sea like Marin is, but the East side of Dublin is just mind blowing.. I am recommending Dublin to everyone for this reason. I live here and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world!
Bwwwwaaahhahahahah
Dublin is nothing like Marin .

Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 PM

14,156 posts, read 3,892,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Bwwwwaaahhahahahah
Dublin is nothing like Marin .
I agree with you, and I've lived in San Ramon and in Mill Valley (among other places in my native Bay Area).

Old 03-03-2019, 12:51 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,785,440 times
I read over Roadwarrior's list of places that are somewhat like Marin. Most of those places I have not been to, or have little experience with. But Austin, TX? No. I lived there for 5 years. It shares almost nothing with Marin. Way too big, too much traffic, no village feel, very hot weather, etc. etc.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:48 PM

458 posts, read 142,350 times
Dublin is like Marin???
I’ve heard it all now.
That kinda reminds me of an old Rockford files episode where a guy is trying to sell him waterfront property in the middle of the desert with a straight face.
LMAO!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM

81,256 posts, read 74,418,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I read over Roadwarrior's list of places that are somewhat like Marin. Most of those places I have not been to, or have little experience with. But Austin, TX? No. I lived there for 5 years. It shares almost nothing with Marin. Way too big, too much traffic, no village feel, very hot weather, etc. etc.
lol. Not to mention the absence of oceanfront, or even Bay front of any kind. Oh, and how could I neglect to mention---REDWOODS!!! lol. But yeah, ugh, the heat!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 AM

70 posts, read 55,537 times
I think in order to find similar areas we probably should identify a few distinct elements of Marin first. Let me start the list and hope others will contribute as well.

Here is what I see in Marin (which I love so much ��):
1) Located in Costal area (next to the ocean)
2) More than half of the county is surrounded by water
3) Half of the area is steep (or rolling) hills covered by trees
4) Very ‘green’ and picturesque with lots of Redwood tree areas
5) Has only two seasons - warm and rainy, with lots of fog. Fog creates a ‘mystique’ feel in Marin.
6) Demographics - predominantly white, aging population.
7) Low population density (per Wiki it is only around 470people per sq. mile)
8) Predominantly rich/ upper-middle class earners
9) Majority of the houses are older, 30-100 y.o. homes in semi-‘unkept’ condition. Modern buildings are scarce.
10) Most towns have ‘older’ feel, compact and cozy, with lots of boutique shops and narrow roads.
11) Calm and peaceful but very closely located to a large, hectic city (separated only by 1.7 mile GG bridge), which creates an interesting ‘non-gradual’ contrast.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 AM

81,256 posts, read 74,418,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novatoman View Post
I think half of New Zealand feels like Marin IMO
This makes sense. But Dublin being like Marin?! Assuming the poster meant Dublin, CA, not Dublin, Ireland.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:05 AM

352 posts, read 138,424 times
Funny, but I just came back from a trip to Dublin, Ireland and there are definite similarities to Marin landscapewise. I'm talking about the seaside suburbs Northbof Dublin like Howthband thebSouthside ones from Bray to Greystones, Wicklow. Lots of rolling hills, scenic bluffs, beaches, and quaint architecture. The difference is that it is very green, but there is a similar feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or