Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times

Advertisements

What are your top ~2-3 most spectacular hikes in Bay Area, including most spectacular hikes as Day Trips??

Last edited by bloom; 10-30-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:15 PM

830 posts, read 486,094 times
Steep Ravine trail and Cascade falls trails in Marin are both nice, especially on warmer days.

Mission Peak is fun if you go ridiculously early in the morning to beat the crowds.

I love doing all four peaks of Mount Diablo as a circuit as a training hike. Although it is sort of a buzzkill getting to the tallest peak and being joined by all of the people that just drove up there.

Point Reyes has some great hiking, although it is quite a drive from most places in the Bay Area.

My favorite book on California hiking is this one. It is organized in such a way that you can quickly find a hike that meets all the criteria you are looking for (length, difficulty, season, location).

Old 10-30-2018, 06:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Marin has the best hikes, IMO, unless you include the north part of Santa Cruz County, specifically--Big Basin redwood park. There's a pretty spectacular hike from the top of Mt. Tamalpais in Marin, down the mountain to Stinson Beach. You can spend as much time at the beach as you want, then hike back up via an alternate trail, for different scenery. There's a creek en route that sometimes builds to a pretty waterfall. Due to the tremendous change in elevation, the route passes through several different ecosystems, including of course--redwood forest. I imagine that springtime would be the most lush along the trail, while fall would be drier, in terms of that creek/waterfall, but it's still beautiful anytime. And the views! The ocean beckons as you descend.

Learn more about it:
Hike: Mt. Tamalpais to Stinson Beach

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Steep Ravine trail and Cascade falls trails in Marin are both nice, especially on warmer days.

Mission Peak is fun if you go ridiculously early in the morning to beat the crowds.

I love doing all four peaks of Mount Diablo as a circuit as a training hike. Although it is sort of a buzzkill getting to the tallest peak and being joined by all of the people that just drove up there.

Point Reyes has some great hiking, although it is quite a drive from most places in the Bay Area.

My favorite book on California hiking is this one. It is organized in such a way that you can quickly find a hike that meets all the criteria you are looking for (length, difficulty, season, location).
I grew up at the foot of Mt. Diablo State Park and second second the hikes there. Just check in the summer to make sure the park isn't closed for fire danger on the day you want to go.

Also love Sibley Volcanic Regional Park and Redwood Regional Park in Oakland. But you should get that book. There are literally dozens of places to hike in the Bay Area, hundreds if you drive an hour or two.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
I love mountain meets ocean hikes, so I would suggest Montara Mountain south of Pacifica, and hiking off PCH in Big Sur (like Andrew Molera park).

Old 11-01-2018, 01:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I love mountain meets ocean hikes, so I would suggest Montara Mountain south of Pacifica, and hiking off PCH in Big Sur (like Andrew Molera park).
The Mt. Tam to Stinson Beach hike is another one. And Big Basin regional park has one through the redwoods, too.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
An easy one is Angel Island. Great views of SF, and if you time it right, you can see the old Japanese immigrant station and the poetry they wrote on the walls.

https://angelisland.com/top-3-hikes-on-angel-island/

You take a ferry to get there, which is fun, too.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
The East Bay Regional Park system has so many wonder hikes in such different micro-climates you could spend so many wonderful hours hiking and probably not cover them all.

East Bay Regional Park District manages:

121,397 acres
73 regional parks, recreation areas, wilderness, shorelines, preserves and land bank areas. General Brochure
31 regional inter-park trails
1,250 miles of trails within parklands
11 freshwater swimming areas, boating and/or stocked fishing lakes and lagoons and a disabled-accessible swimming pool
40 fishing docks; 3 bay fishing piers
235 family campsites; 42 youth camping areas
2 golf courses
2,082 family picnic tables
1,707 reservable group picnic tables
10 interpretive and education centers
18 children's play areas
Wedding, meeting and banquet facilities

I now live in a wonderful rural area with acres of my own to hike but I still sometimes miss the variety of CA hiking and camping.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post

What is the driving time to get to Pt Reyes (furthest extent, closest, middle)?
Please indicate starting point for you.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM

276 posts, read 221,760 times
I'd vote #1 for the Mt. Tamalpais to beach trails. Endless vistas, fog, forests, ocean views, changing at each turn. And pretty good elevation change for a workout! Hanging around at night (like the Sidewalk Astronomers), you experience the spectacular night sky above, Milky Way sinking into the light pollution of the cities to the E.

#2 I like Mt Davidson/Twin peaks in the city. Nothing challenging, but the views are almost as spectacular as Tam, with more of the urban ambiance. Plus, you can get to there by public transport from anywhere in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland