Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

I manage a 4 bedroom 2 bath single family with a small family room that has been rented for $2300 including water and garbage... it is rented to students and former students doing the best they can.

The master with private bath is occupied by a couple... the 3 others share the other bath...

Works out to be $500 a month to cover housing and has been the same since they moved in 3 years ago... it is near the Oakland Aquatic Center...

In 3 years the roomates have had zero issues... get along with their neighbors and have enough people so that someone is always around...

At least this is one example of roomate situation at $500 per person...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 PM

276 posts, read 222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I manage a 4 bedroom 2 bath single family with a small family room that has been rented for $2300 including water and garbage... it is rented to students and former students doing the best they can.

The master with private bath is occupied by a couple... the 3 others share the other bath...

Works out to be $500 a month to cover housing and has been the same since they moved in 3 years ago... it is near the Oakland Aquatic Center...

In 3 years the roomates have had zero issues... get along with their neighbors and have enough people so that someone is always around...

Yep, this is probably the only realistic way to get a place for under $1000/mo. in any decent parts of OAK. "Your own place", the standard studio, 1BR, 2BR with your own can & kitchen, is gonna cost you an arm and leg these days.

However, many people cannot handle shared living spaces, and myself is one of them!

Another possible option is a live-in boat parked in the harbors.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 AM

Live aboard can be a viable option but many restrictions...

I was given a sailboat as a project a few years back... several of the owners were live aboards...

The key was to keep a very low profile as it you were not there at all...

Utilities and space then was under $300 a month...

Old 11-07-2018, 03:43 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:

5 adults and 2 bathroom . They are missing 3 baths

Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
5 adults and 2 bathroom . They are missing 3 baths
I can fix that but can't deliver at $500 per person including utilities, garbage and every other week yard care.

My guess is there will be a serious push to raise rents in Oakland due to all the new property taxes pending election final count.

It seems the voters have once again been very generous when it comes to increasing property tax...

Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:

Cheers for the info, Ultrarunner.

Given the circumstances in that area, that is the best - and only - option for those involved.

That's a good thing for them.

At this stage in my life, I'll just visit the Bay area & Oakland and avoid the whole state all-together for an affordable place to live.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:29 AM

^^^ Understandable...

For decades much of Oakland was more than affordable but it's proximity to the center of the Bay Area and BART means more and more San Franciscans are calling Oakland home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland