Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:52 AM

281 posts, read 811,241 times

Advertisements

I posted a few weeks ago and got some great advice on where to live and commutes. I am working in Pleasanton/Dublin area but will be traveling 30-40% of the time.

After reviewing the commute patterns (as well as I can via google maps at the times I would be commuting) I decided I would live either in Pleasanton/Dublin OR somewhere on the BART line to Oakland or SFO. I have a few places picked out to go see in Castro Valley and San Leandro (but am open to more suggestions).

I've looked north of Pleasanton/Dublin but the commutes from Walnut Creek and north of there as well as from Oakland (not on blue BART line) seems much worse than what looks like a reverse commute from Hayward, Fremont and Union City. I know nothing about those areas. I think I should consider them, esp. as my daughter is looking at a grad program at CSU EB.

What I'm looking for:

1-2 Bedrooms (prefer at least 800 sq ft minimum regardless of bedrooms) - fine with a den,loft, etc vs. a second bedroom. I work out a lot and like to do it in my home so I need a good space to do that which is why loft,den works great.

1-2 Bath

Rent up to $2650 or so (can go slightly higher but am trying to balance the commute cost with living in Dublin area which I can absolutely do with $2500-2600).

MUST have laundry in unit - I've been a homeowner too long to want to schlep over to another building or deal with other tenants for my laundry.
  • No major yard work if a house
  • Good storage space/closets
  • As little carpet as possible
  • Safety - meaning somewhere it is safe enough for me to run (I am a long distance runner so it is critical to have options for long runs of 18-26 miles close or within easy drive/commute) - I also like to leave windows open
  • Garage or covered parking
  • I have 2 cats
  • Reasonable deposit - I'm saving for a down payment so I'm unwilling to give a huge deposit as I always assume the deposit isn't coming back to me regardless so a deposit not more than 1 months rent max.

If apartment I prefer it has a hot tub/spa - a fitness room is a plus as well. I don't care about BBQ, big clubhouses, and the like.

What I don't know if I need is:

Type of heating that is better? (Lived in San Diego for 24 years and didn't use a ton of heat other than those old wall heaters but it was chilly by the beach) - We have baseboard here in Maryland and if I use them my bill is $450+ for a 1000 sq ft townhouse so seeing baseboards out there is not making me happy but it is a different climate.

Do I need AC or is that dependent on where I live - seems like much housing stock doesn't have it.

Given all that - recommended areas to seek or avoid in general? Any specific apartment complexes or developments I should look closer at?

In Dublin/Pleasanton I have it narrowed down to Avalan Dublin Station, Park Sierra, Waterford Place, Avana Stoneridge, and Fountains at Emerald Park.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:05 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Good question about A/C. The Fremont area didn't used to need it, except during the annual September heat wave. But heat waves are more common now. Many houses in Fremont have it, some still don't, and living without it can be a struggle sometimes. But you're not likely to find an apt. building that has A/C. They'll have central air, but not central A/C. So if that's important to you, you might consider living out in Dublin, where every place will have it, because the climate is warmer out there. (Except winters). OTOH, the climate in Fremont is pleasantly cool much of the time, for being out and about, and enjoying outdoor activities, when there isn't a heat wave. So you have a choice to make, in that regard. Fremont has a bike/walking path to a regional park on the Bay, that's popular for running and biking, btw. I would think it's too warm out in Dublin for strenuous exercise, like running, but maybe that's just me?

The part of Union City that borders Fremont, near the BART station, would be safe. I wouldn't go deeper into Union City than that. Hayward: "iffy". Depends on the neighborhood. It's cheaper for a reason. Castro Valley's a good bet, though. IDK if A/C is common there, though.

You're from Maryland, and you like to leave your windows open at night? I can guess, then, which parts of Maryland you have and haven't lived in.... Better get an upper-floor apartment, if that's what you're used to.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

You're from Maryland, and you like to leave your windows open at night? I can guess, then, which parts of Maryland you have and haven't lived in.... Better get an upper-floor apartment, if that's what you're used to.
LOL!

I live in Old Greenbelt (GHI) in a townhouse so it's no issue to leave a window open upstairs. I don't leave them open when I leave and such. I definitely don't leave windows open if I live in a first floor unit pretty much anywhere which is why I've targeted some apartments that have 2nd floor or higher units.

Given I run here all year round except in ice storms (so I maybe don't run outside a couple days a year) through below zero temps and above 90 degree temps - with the humidity. So I'd be fine to run pretty much anywhere.

I don't love heat - and I have a couple of nice portable AC units I use here in MD (My home does not have central air or central A/C either) but the more I can ditch before I come the easier the move will be in general

Old 11-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post

I don't love heat - and I have a couple of nice portable AC units I use here in MD (My home does not have central air or central A/C either) but the more I can ditch before I come the easier the move will be in general
Wait, what? Your place in MD doesn't have central heat? Oh, but you said it has baseboard heat? That's weird; was it an older building (WAY older, like--19th Century), that was retrofitted with modern conveniences (like--heat, you know, the little extras that make life cozy...), or something? Isn't electricity expensive in the NE? I'm curious now, as to what the deal is; do people seek out apt. buildings that have gas-based central heating? Or old-fashioned steam heat, which is pretty comfortable and efficient, though not considered "modern" ? Or maybe your building formerly had steam heat, but someone decided electric baseboard was more modern, and ripped out the old boiler and plumbing? If so, bad move. Very bad decision, IMO.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait, what? Your place in MD doesn't have central heat? Oh, but you said it has baseboard heat? That's weird; was it an older building (WAY older, like--19th Century), that was retrofitted with modern conveniences (like--heat, you know, the little extras that make life cozy...), or something? Isn't electricity expensive in the NE? I'm curious now, as to what the deal is; do people seek out apt. buildings that have gas-based central heating? Or old-fashioned steam heat, which is pretty comfortable and efficient, though not considered "modern" ? Or maybe your building formerly had steam heat, but someone decided electric baseboard was more modern, and ripped out the old boiler and plumbing? If so, bad move. Very bad decision, IMO.
Right. It was built in 1937. It is a concrete block townhouse block and there is no way to put central anything in as there is no way to build ducts. You can put in a ductless mini-split but we just use space heaters (1/2 the price of the baseboards on average). Cannot have gas as there is an issue with gas lines and the way this community was built or laid out or something. They did do 3 years of research for the new upgrades including with solar and other sources of heat/cooling but the baseboards still provided the best value. I cannot say I understand it - but it is what it is.

It was originally radiator heat with boiler rooms but that was ripped out and replaced with baseboard heaters in the 1960's-70's. My unit is scheduled for upgrades in 2019 (so good for whoever buys it as they'll be in before they go in and can make the choice of what they want) to include new baseboard heaters all around and new windows and doors.

Electricity is very expensive here IMHO - my winter electric bill for a place that is 2 Bdr/2Ba and 1087 sq ft is $400+ on average. If we're thrifty it can be as low as $350 but that's rare if the temps stay in the 20's and 30's. There is NO insulation other than the construction itself. Most of my friends live in "regular" houses with central heat/AC and they just about choke at what I tell them my bills are. I regularly get notices that i'm consuming 50% more energy than "similar" homes which doesn't mean much because they average a several mile radius and include newer houses with central air and its way different. I won't be sorry to escape these bills thats for sure.

That's why I'm asking about heat and cooling - coming here to MD from CA originally I had NO idea of the cost of heating. However, I especially had no idea about the house I bought and its cost. BUT there is at trade off - I live in a coop townhouse community so I have a $786 mortgage. Yep. That's it. I put a lot down but the costs are lower -- so that's why this move to the Bay Area has to be planned because I am 100% positive I'm not going to approach that small of a mortgage ever again. I pay about $650-700 in Coop HOA fee per month but it includes property taxes, all trash/sewer and common area costs with admin stuff and the reserves that are actually funding the upgrades (last time these were upgraded was 1970's I believe).

I just remember living in Pacific Beach, Mira Mesa, and Chula Vista down in San Diego County with only older wall heaters and no AC and at times it was really awful. So before I move back I want to be sure if I need to consider AC or Heat or whatnot.

I was just out there and Dublin was 40 in the AM so that's chilly and I'd of probably had some sort of heat going. Don't mind cold, don't love heat but i can deal.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:33 PM

95 posts, read 107,948 times
OP, if your daughter is looking at a grad program at California State University, East Bay (CSUEB)... start looking at places around the CSUEB campus, the 'Hayward Hills' area is nice.

Hayward has changed so much in the past couple years. The reputable Pacific Union International recently had an article -- it rated Hayward in the top 10 cities among the nation's best small and midsize places to live in 2018. The Hayward home values have skyrocketed by 95% in the past 5 years.

Quote:
(From Pacific Union International -- a leading real estate brokerage company.)

Bay Area Cities Rank Among the Nation’s Best Small and Midsize U.S. Places to Live in 2018

Santa Clara and Hayward rank among the top 10 most livable medium-sized American cities this year.

The Alameda County city of Hayward comes in at No. 10 on the list, with an 89.34. Over the past five years, home values in Hayward have skyrocketed by 95 percent, the highest rate of appreciation recorded in any of the 25 cities included in SmartAsset’s analysis.

https://blog.pacificunion.com/bay-ar...-live-in-2018/

Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netaxcat View Post
OP, if your daughter is looking at a grad program at California State University, East Bay (CSUEB)... start looking at places around the CSUEB campus, the 'Hayward Hills' area is nice.

Hayward has changed so much in the past couple years. The reputable Pacific Union International recently had an article -- it rated Hayward in the top 10 cities among the nation's best small and midsize places to live in 2018. The Hayward home values have skyrocketed by 95% in the past 5 years.
Great. I was hoping someone would post the latest recommendations about Hayward. It doesn't seem that long ago, that people were saying, that much of Hayward should be avoided. This just goes to show how powerful the gentrification effect from San Jose/Silicon Valley is.

That article also ranks Concord #20 nationwide, though. Concord hasn't changed that much. ....yet, anyway, AFAIK. Some of these ratings may be a bit premature.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-12-2018 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 05:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
For someone who knows: How, exactly, has Hayward changed? Very curious.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:25 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Since you like to run long distances, one area you might consider is near the Alameda Creek Regional Trail. Single family houses abut portions of the trail on both sides in Fremont and Union City, all safe areas, but may be too expensive for you to rent, unless you have a paying roommate. There are, however, numerous apartments a few minutes (walking) to the Union City BART station. You must check each place individually to determine laundry availability.

Here's a map:

https://www.ebparks.org/images/Asset..._2500w_32c.gif

You can read more about the trail here:

https://www.ebparks.org/parks/trails...ek/default.htm

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 11-12-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 02:19 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
I think any of those communities will work. Generally speaking, you'll have to drive if you're coming from Union City or Fremont. Castro Valley, Hayward, and San Leandro would be better if you decide to commute via BART, but again it's reverse commute so driving would be easy. Here's my general summary of each of these towns, as someone with friends who live and/or work in most and as a curious sort of fellow who likes to check out various 'hoods on the regular:

San Leandro - Has good parts and mediocre parts. Downtown is nice but relatively quiet. Broadmoor area is cute and seems safe despite proximity to East Oakland. Area near the marina seems pretty bland overall, but being near the water and Bay Trail is a plus. Area around Bayfair is a mixed bag but seems better than it used to be ~10 years ago.

Hayward - Similar vibe/safety as San Leandro. Downtown has restaurants and bars, so nightlife is decent without being too sketch. Not perfect, but definitely better than 5-10 years ago. Has some minor attractions that may make this town more enjoyable than some others. I think the main drawback is that the city worked with Caltrans to build what basically amounts to a circuit of one-way expressways through the downtown area, so it's a bit harrowing as a pedestrian and confusing as a driver trying to get downtown, but pretty good for people commuting from Tracy to San Mateo. I sincerely hope this monstrosity is ripped out sooner rather than later.

Castro Valley - Typical suburban type area that's older, so homes have a little more character and it's a little more walkable in places. Seems like a pretty safe, family friendly town overall. Nice central location for getting to work but also to various activities that can be found in Hayward, Oakland, etc.

Union City - Pretty boring place. Weirdly shaped town with its own (practically useless) bus system for some unknown reason. There used to be a couple rougher parts, but proximity to Fremont means it's now $$$$ there.

Fremont - Expensive Silicon Valley bedroom community. Large South Asian population, so lots of good Indian food to be had. Attractions like Lake Elizabeth make this relatively livable, but it's boring AF and gets hotter than Hayward or San Leandro. I wouldn't live here without A/C.

Dublin - Super plain suburban subdivision. This is where character goes to die. Perfectly functional place, though. Ironically, IKEA will be building its only unique looking store in the U.S. here in a couple years. Most likely will be the only interesting attraction in this town when it's done.

Pleasanton - Also pretty plain, but at least has a little downtown area. Also gets hot like Dublin, so A/C is a must. I've never heard of any crime problems here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland