Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Where are the wait people and baristas supposed to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
They can commute over the bridge from Richmond. I generally agree with the OP. We shouldn't allow the entire Earth to be trashed for the sake of providing 100% "low income" housing. Keep that in the areas that make sense for it, not trash the most beautiful communities in the Bay Area.
Wow! Just wow that you would want to make sure people who are earning an honest living to to live "over the bridge" not to mention the added expense of paying for the price of California gas! My God, why would you trust all those "trash" people to serve you your food and over priced coffee anyway?

I can understand concern about vagrants and parolees etc. but you're looking down your nose at people who are simply in a different economic class from you. Disgusting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Wow! Just wow that you would want to make sure people who are earning an honest living to to live "over the bridge" not to mention the added expense of paying for the price of California gas! My God, why would you trust all those "trash" people to serve you your food and over priced coffee anyway?

I can understand concern about vagrants and parolees etc. but you're looking down your nose at people who are simply in a different economic class from you. Disgusting!
I don't think he gets that it's everybody. I have a six-figure income and commute from Richmond to Marin. Only the ultra-wealthy can afford Marin. This same person probably wonders why city services cost so much. Marin imports many of its workers from out of the county--not just baristas and cashiers but also construction workers and specialized office workers. I have been getting a lot of work done around my new house, and contractors give me a "locals" price. They have to add on another 10-25% to cover the logistical expenses of serving Marin.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

I don't know that baristas or those earning an honest living albeit lower wages are going to get the lower income units. Many fall into making enough to not qualify but not enough to afford it.
In the past I've had people coming to my rentals asking if I will take their section 8. I ask how much does it cover and they say all of the rent. Then I see the Cadillac Escalade they pulled up in and I can tell you they are not the honest hard working people you are talking about.
There's a huge difference between all these people but you can't always filter them. Honestly a few bad apples can transform a neighborhood

Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don't know that baristas or those earning an honest living albeit lower wages are going to get the lower income units. Many fall into making enough to not qualify but not enough to afford it.
In the past I've had people coming to my rentals asking if I will take their section 8. I ask how much does it cover and they say all of the rent. Then I see the Cadillac Escalade they pulled up in and I can tell you they are not the honest hard working people you are talking about.
There's a huge difference between all these people but you can't always filter them. Honestly a few bad apples can transform a neighborhood
Sure thing.. Escalades, because Reagan told us that all welfare queens drive cadillacs

Old 12-13-2018, 10:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
There is often a different mindset when your basic needs are covered.

Families that qualify for assistance know the roof over their head, medical coverage, food assistance, utility assistance, telephone, internet, school meals, etc... are a certainty... well, as certain as the government...

With the basics covered... you don't need a big emergency or rainy day fund so more discretionary dollars are available...

Several of my Section 8 tenants bought brand new cars... albite, Corolla and Civics... while I was still driving the $800 car I bought used back in School... and was still driving it 22 years later.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sure thing.. Escalades, because Reagan told us that all welfare queens drive cadillacs
What’s the problem? Why are you smacking yourself in the head with that?
I only know what I saw when the prospective tenant drove up in an Escalade to the rental house I was showing and looked around and asked if I took section 8.
You’re saying because you heard Reagan say it that it possibly happen?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:48 PM

281 posts, read 309,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Believe me, I'm glad there are liberals in the world, because there needs to be a counterbalance to total strictness. However, Highlander Bulls pretend they aren't seeing what they're seeing, that's where it becomes just totally intellectually dishonest. All of us, including you, have seen welfare recipients driving a nice cars and rocking newest Jordan's! So, why are you using the smack yourself on the head emoji, as if to say there wasn't someone on welfare in an Escalade?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Welfare people who drive expensive cars - it's all on credit. They don't have any money of their own. Unlike you, who does have net worth. So if you want to blame someone, don't blame the welfare system, blame the money lenders.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Welfare people who drive expensive cars - it's all on credit. They don't have any money of their own. Unlike you, who does have net worth. So if you want to blame someone, don't blame the welfare system, blame the money lenders.
I see your point, but it seems if they can afford the higher car payments you could afford to pay part of your own rent. It seems a yearly credit pull would reveal some descrepencies in how much the housing assistance is needed.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I've never had a car payment... a waste of money spent on a depreciating "Asset"

My $800 car served me well for 20 years... we don't have rust issues were I live.

Only once was it towed home... $40 in parts and couple of hours and back on the road...

A new car in the land of cars makes a statement...

Not saying the case couldn't be made... someone that makes money with their car... has to commute long distances... a gas mpg car with full warranty could pencil out...

My tenants all drive better cars than I do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland