Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,089,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The issue is that places like Marin and Santa Clara Counties as well as San Francisco have to find a way to provide services for their wealthy residents and the only real answer is to set enough affordable housing so that the people who keep the cities running can afford to live there.

San Francisco has a teacher crisis, they can't hire enough teachers because teachers don't want to spend hours commuting to SF or live in the City in a shared bedroom just to make 4 or 5k more annually than they would in a place like Vacaville where they can easily find an affordable place to live. In the high cost areas very few public safety employees live where they work, instead they commute long distances every day. That works out great until there is a major catastrophe like an earthquake, major fire or flood and 2/3 of the public safety employees can't even get to work....what then?

As much as you try to make this about some silly notion that I am claiming that the poor have a right to live in million dollar homes what it's really about is finding a way to keep these cities running. They need nurses, trash collectors, cops, teachers, sous chefs and accountants and if they are all priced out of the area then those wonderful rich people who you seem to be so concerned about will eventually find that they are the ones who need to commute in order to accomplish basic tasks like grocery shopping.

I don't give a hoot if you want to keep changing the subject, the issue is the same that it has always been. It's absolutely idiotic for a county like Marin to restrict every effort at building affordable housing when doing so keeps out the very people that they depend on every single day.
Far from it. It has kept Marin as the most attractive place to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 PM

21,631 posts, read 16,178,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So in other words it is good to bring some blight lest people "remain in their bubbles". In what ways, pray tell, are the newcomers "enriching" the existing residents? Decreased security/more crime, poor school performance, more trash on the streets, more juvenile delinquency?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
ahhh, to live in the mind of the mutt where he thinks he knows the world better than everyone else does so he is allowed to be judgemental.
Interesting coincidental day. While youse guys revile the riff-raff poor, breaking news reports on the latest scandal of the uber-wealthy cheating and bribing their kids’ way into the finest most expensive universities. Quite a list of Bay Area wealthy, including impressive local CEO’s. Well, at least they weren’t stealing bicycles or shoplifting sandwiches from 7-11, eh?

https://abc7news.com/list-bay-area-p...-scam/5186505/

Montclaire started another thread on it in this forum.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,207,795 times
The weird thing about Marin is the high cancer rates and the high rates of liberalism. Okay, two weird things. Beserkeley is ultra left wing too but the rates of cancer are lower. Makes you wonder what is in the water up there in Marin.

Marin County is beautiful though. I'd sure hate to see it cluttered up with sprawl and low-income types. Build that stuff out in the Central Valley near the bullet train to nowhere!

Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,071,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you're taking out a loan to buy a car, then in my opinion it's too much car for you. So I mostly agree with you on this. But here in Silicon Valley, the're a lot of people driving fancy cars who paid cash for them and whose finances were most definitely unaffected by the 80k+ they spent on their vehicle.

So, the main thing is: whether you're going into debt or not by making a purchase.
Considering most investments will out perform the 0.00% - 2.9% interest on an auto loan, you would actually be an idiot if you DIDN'T take out a loan to purchase a car.

Whoever told you this had more money than brains.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:14 PM

8,551 posts, read 3,774,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
The weird thing about Marin is the high cancer rates and the high rates of liberalism. Okay, two weird things. Beserkeley is ultra left wing too but the rates of cancer are lower. Makes you wonder what is in the water up there in Marin.
Not cancer rates in general, specifically breast cancer (though not sure what it has to with the thread). I’ve heard this several times in the past; but as of 2015 or 2106, I believe it’s no longer true. That said, the explanation I have heard previously is - breast cancer is more prevalent in higher socioeconomic areas - specifically relating to factors such as low/late parity. It’s not the water.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:27 PM

10,312 posts, read 8,492,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
What the what?!
Yup, kind of a dumb reason.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The issue is that places like Marin and Santa Clara Counties as well as San Francisco have to find a way to provide services for their wealthy residents and the only real answer is to set enough affordable housing so that the people who keep the cities running can afford to live there.

San Francisco has a teacher crisis, they can't hire enough teachers because teachers don't want to spend hours commuting to SF or live in the City in a shared bedroom just to make 4 or 5k more annually than they would in a place like Vacaville where they can easily find an affordable place to live. In the high cost areas very few public safety employees live where they work, instead they commute long distances every day. That works out great until there is a major catastrophe like an earthquake, major fire or flood and 2/3 of the public safety employees can't even get to work....what then?

As much as you try to make this about some silly notion that I am claiming that the poor have a right to live in million dollar homes what it's really about is finding a way to keep these cities running. They need nurses, trash collectors, cops, teachers, sous chefs and accountants and if they are all priced out of the area then those wonderful rich people who you seem to be so concerned about will eventually find that they are the ones who need to commute in order to accomplish basic tasks like grocery shopping.

I don't give a hoot if you want to keep changing the subject, the issue is the same that it has always been. It's absolutely idiotic for a county like Marin to restrict every effort at building affordable housing when doing so keeps out the very people that they depend on every single day.
Show me where the cities are having a hard time running because low income people can't find housing there. Show me where those wealthy areas can't get enough workers to provide services because there is not enough low income housing. You can't because none of those areas have problems with job fulfillment to start with.

You keep saying Marin is not providing low income housing, yet there is low income housing. I'm not sure why you keep saying they do not. Just face it, you are wrong.

The DM I got the other day about you saying "Good luck arguing with Miss I know it all" is true.
You lost the argument and cant admit it. I already posted the link proving you wrong and you won't admit it.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
This should be clarified - $117,000 is low income in Marin for a family of four.
True, but I was repeating what 2sleepy had said. I didn't think it needed to be clarified since was off her post.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah , you probably didn't get the connection, went right by you.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 PM

21,631 posts, read 16,178,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Another stupid comment by you. Had nothing to do with housing for low income at all. But that's the mutt style. Throw it all out there and see what sticks.
Try to pay attention.
The post was in further response to this previous one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So in other words it is good to bring some blight lest people "remain in their bubbles". In what ways, pray tell, are the newcomers "enriching" the existing residents? Decreased security/more crime, poor school performance, more trash on the streets, more juvenile delinquency?
Given that, would you care to explain what’s “stupid”? Or are you just looking for a fight again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland