Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Interesting coincidental day. While youse guys revile the riff-raff poor, breaking news reports on the latest scandal of the uber-wealthy cheating and bribing their kids’ way into the finest most expensive universities. Quite a list of Bay Area wealthy, including impressive local CEO’s. Well, at least they weren’t stealing bicycles or shoplifting sandwiches from 7-11, eh?

https://abc7news.com/list-bay-area-p...-scam/5186505/

Montclaire started another thread on it in this forum.
Funny how you tried to call me out on generalizing while you just did the exact same thing lumping all the Uber wealthy as a group that cheats and scams.
Hypocrite much?
You probably think that’s okay for you to because you know better than all the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Funny how you tried to call me out on generalizing while you just did the exact same thing lumping all the Uber wealthy as a group that cheats and scams.
Hypocrite much?
You probably think that’s okay for you to because you know better than all the rest of us.
Well, I know better than you, at any rate.

And my topical point has been quite clear: while LuvOC sneers at what he feels the poor as a class bring to wealthy neighborhoods - and which you appear to agree with - IF one so chooses to generalize thus : then others might feel free to point out, as I just did that has you frosted, considerable crime also exists among the upper classes ... and, in fact, the costs of the crimes by wealthy individuals vastly exceed the costs of the nickle and dime crime of the sandwich filching poor.

Apparently I hit a nerve. Mission accomplished. You guys want to generalize, here’s how it appears to reverse the game.

Meanwhile the lessons of history teach that the more stratifcation of classes occurs, the greater costs of the antagonism created.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Meanwhile the lessons of history teach that the more stratifcation of classes occurs, the greater costs of the antagonism created.
100% on spot with this. Want to get rid of crime? Distribute wealth equally.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
100% on spot with this. Want to get rid of crime? Distribute wealth equally.
Sort of, yes. But it’s a bit nuanced given where culture has evolved since cave days. I don’t advocate wealth distribution. I do advocate wealth responsibility and use.

As I often point out, homo sapiens are social animals. Primates. Albeit complex in order. We do fall in line biologically, in any case, with Dunbar’s Number (a famous axiomatic rule of physical and cultural anthropology). Dunbar’s Number has scientifically proven that our natural egalitarian and empathetic brilliance falls apart after our social troops / societies reach about 175 individuals. Our success at living in enormous societies exponentially far far beyond our natural design parameters is a result of our unique tool among all other animals: rational analytical thinking.

Though we are disastrously hit-and-miss with our rational thinking, being grossly compromised by our emotionally unstable side, we have instituted laws and moral systems to substitute as best they can for the natural cooperation we used to engage in when living in small, primitive tribes.

Stratification of culture results. And there’s no way around it. But going outside egalitarian cooperation requires those in “leading” roles to retain connection with the larger tribe, and truly serve the interests of the full social web.

It’s simply our nature to also revolt against social abuse if there’s too much distancing. 10,000 years of history demonstrates this.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Mandating that rich people build housing for poor people in their midst is a fool's errand. The only point of being rich is to improve your surroundings and experiences. People move up to get away from the unwashed (and uneducated, low class, etc) masses, not to wind up living next door to them.

Such a joke.
The whole state is in a downward spiral. I moved taking my nice income with me. Bye bye. You aren't getting my taxes.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
The whole state is in a downward spiral. I moved taking my nice income with me. Bye bye. You aren't getting my taxes.
Well, I guess without your taxes we’re toast then, eh? “Grandma, pack the station wagon ... we’re heading back to Oklahoma!”

Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Well, I guess without your taxes we’re toast then, eh? “Grandma, pack the station wagon ... we’re heading back to Oklahoma!”
Nah, I moved to Scottsdale. Fantastic area. Much nicer and cheaper. I used you guys for my HUGE tripe figure pension. Thanks. Bye bye. So much nicer here and I can use the money I save to vacation anywhere for months yet at time and still be WAY AHEAD. Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:46 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland