Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:21 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how much affordable housing there even is in Marin County but I doubt if there's very much, for decades the North Bay redevelopment agency of which Marin was part of made sure that all the affordable housing got built in Vallejo. It got to be kind of a joke, the agency would make this big announcement like they were giving Vallejo some special gift by making them the recipient of another low income housing project. Personally I think it's about time that Marin County shared the burden, even if it does disturb your 'sensibilities' to have to live near low income people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ehh. You earn enough to be able to live away from riff raff then are told you must invite those who haven't earned squat to be your neighbors...there's something wrong with that. When you remove the motivation to succeed to get the best you can, and just PROVIDE IT under a false sense of "fairness" to those that have done nothing, then society is doomed.
It says more about you than I really wanted to know for you to call the poor "riff raff". They are people - not riff raff And most people in subsidized housing are either elderly, disabled, or they employed but don't earn enough for market place rent, and in a place like Marin County that probably includes about 2/3 of the public school teachers

Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
Marin County is a place of beauty and magical surroundings. The last thing we need is a bunch of poor people moving in, tearing it up. I have never, ever, ever, ever seen a low income complex that maintained beauty, law and order, or added value to the rest of the community.
Incredible nastiness. There are plenty of public housing developments and low-income housing units throughout the United States that are well maintained and discreet. Hopefully, the people of Marin are more compassionate and reasonable than you are.

I'm a "rich conservative" and I support making reasonable efforts to provide integrated housing to society's most vulnerable.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Window screens seem to always be a problem and custom screens are not something that can be picked up as they have to be made... plus the time to order/make and install.

Amazes me how I can put up or take down a screen without damage yet so many tenants can't... sorry going off topic.
That's because you used 2 hands. Both those people had no hands free. They had to hold the bag of fried pork rinds in one hand and use the others to stuff their faces.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:55 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Incredible nastiness. There are plenty of public housing developments and low-income housing units throughout the United States that are well maintained and discreet. Hopefully, the people of Marin are more compassionate and reasonable than you are.

I'm a "rich conservative" and I support making reasonable efforts to provide integrated housing to society's most vulnerable.
So how many have you actually visited? I've seen a lot of public housing that is not so nice, much of it is from tenant abuse. When they have no skin in the game, they simply don't care. Throw garbage all around, work on cars and leave parts and oil all over the place. Some of them just have different attitudes than the norm.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That's because you used 2 hands. Both those people had no hands free. They had to hold the bag of fried pork rinds in one hand and use the others to stuff their faces.
that's disgusting, shame on you

Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So how many have you actually visited? I've seen a lot of public housing that is not so nice, much of it is from tenant abuse. When they have no skin in the game, they simply don't care. Throw garbage all around, work on cars and leave parts and oil all over the place. Some of them just have different attitudes than the norm.
How much have you visited, and where is all the "free public housing" located? Every subsidized housing project requires the tenant to pay at least part of the rent, usually 30%.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The intent of Section 8 is to be the answer to the Projects.

The goal is to disburse Housing paid with Federal HUD money throughout the land and it is very effective.

Disparate Impact, AFFH...Thanks, Obama. But, hey, that's what people voted for--twice.

The 'hood will follow you wherever you go. And not just in California, either.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How much have you visited, and where is all the "free public housing" located? Every subsidized housing project requires the tenant to pay at least part of the rent, usually 30%.
Not exactly...

It is 30% towards "Housing" which includes a matrix for determining cost... there is the rent, utility allowances and even appliance allowance.

Few families paid 30% "Rent" most were in the 10-15% range.

I manage one now where the rent is $2600 and the family portion is $56

I have had families where the rent was fully covered and another family that paid 98%.

The 98% was an aunt, head of household... her minor niece and nephew were orphaned when the parents were killed by a drunk driver... the aunt took them in... she was 20, in school working toward a RN degree and now parenting a 11 and 13 year old...

Amazing young lady and credit for stepping up... and credit to housing for getting her a voucher otherwise it was foster care for the kids.

Anyway... when she graduated she accepted a part time probationary nursing job... Housing did not cut her off because her job was part time and new... so Housing continued to pay 2% for 12 months as a safety net...

Assistance can be a really good thing to keep families together when there are no alternatives.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Disparate Impact, AFFH...Thanks, Obama. But, hey, that's what people voted for--twice.

The 'hood will follow you wherever you go. And not just in California, either.
And was put in action way before Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland