U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 PM

257 posts, read 172,250 times

Advertisements

I also do think it is overrated. I grew up in San Francisco in the 70's & 80's and have thought so long before this current boom. My experiences are limited, as I have only lived in San Francisco and Fremont and really haven't done much traveling save for up and down the coast between California and Oregon. I do realize there are many places worse than the Bay Area to live in for many reasons and admittedly, spending one winter somewhere in the mid-west would probably have me running back to the Bay loving it, there are so many other places in this country and world that are so much better to either live in or visit. I don't think it's limited to the Bay Area though, California is also overrated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 PM

2,032 posts, read 727,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
I agree. El Dorado Hills always looked so nice to me whenever I would drive to Tahoe and was about half as much as San Francisco. We had considered it before moving to Austin, but we just found more on the "pro" list completely moving out of the Northern California area.
Just curious, do you think that Folsom/Roseville has more brutal heat than Austin? Not familiar with Austin summers, but I am well-acquainted with both Davis and New Orleans/Biloxi during the summer, and I have to say Davis summers are far more brutal than those of the Gulf, because it rains on the Gulf during the summer, but never in Davis (or most of California, for that matter).

Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM

2,032 posts, read 727,674 times
Quote:
No, I would say Austin was worse. The high temperatures for the day normally hit between 5pm and 6pm (so your nights don't really cool down at all). I would just make sure to get out early if I wanted to get out for a walk. Your mornings would be in the 75 degree range but you'd pretty much focus on being in by about 1030ish. I didn't find the humidity oppressive but it is worse than Folsom/Roseville.
Is Austin heat worse than the Gulf Coast, then?

I actually love the very warm nights along the Gulf during the summer. You can sit on your lawn chair in a t shirt, shorts and sandals, watching the sunrise, and be comfortably warm whereas by sunrise in Sacramento it'd be quite chilly and you need to bundle up a bit.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:55 AM

5,032 posts, read 5,292,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Before I moved to Atlanta I looked around Sac. I also liked El Dorado Hills and thought it would be a nice place and I could just hop into Sac when I wanted. There are some really beautiful neighborhoods in Sacramento and I don't think people are aware of them.
Yes there are some really beautiful neighborhoods in Sacramento. I like the "The Grid" (downtown and midtown) and the older neighborhoods immediately surrounding the Grid, such as McKinley Park, Curtis Park, Land Park, South Land Park, Tahoe Park.

All the neighborhoods that line the Sacramento River, the American River and Folsom Lake are pretty nice as well.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:12 AM

5,032 posts, read 5,292,486 times
Quote:
I agree. El Dorado Hills always looked so nice to me whenever I would drive to Tahoe and was about half as much as San Francisco. We had considered it before moving to Austin, but we just found more on the "pro" list completely moving out of the Northern California area.
Yes, people from the Bay who consider the Sacramento Area are almost always looking at either Austin, Portland, Phx, Vegas, Denver or Salt Lake as well. This is a good thing as it keeps the Sacramento Area from "exploding" in population unlike the other cities listed above which have some of the highest growth rates in the country. The Sacramento Area has a healthy growth rate.

Bay folks having been moving to the Sac Area since the 90's, steady moderate growth. In the past, most Bay folks moved to the newer suburban---ish cities of Folsom and Roseville, and the Sierra foothills, but lately, "The Grid" - Sacramento's downtown/midtown and older core neighborhoods have been getting a lot of Bay Area transplants.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-22-2018 at 03:23 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 05:25 AM

6,318 posts, read 4,539,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes there are some really beautiful neighborhoods in Sacramento. I like the "The Grid" (downtown and midtown) and the older neighborhoods immediately surrounding the Grid, such as McKinley Park, Curtis Park, Land Park, South Land Park, Tahoe Park.

All the neighborhoods that line the Sacramento River, the American River and Folsom Lake are pretty nice as well.
Whats the hood called the 20's or something like that? Lot's of beautiful old grand homes. It's one of my favorites

Old 12-22-2018, 07:03 AM

4,629 posts, read 1,800,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiColdWeather View Post
I am a native Bay Area local and have lived here 29 years of my life.

Growing up here, I was always told that it's the 'Best' place in the United States.

The 'best' place you can be. You 'Wouldn't want to live anywhere else'.

People would say the reason it is the 'Best', is because of the availability of jobs, the weather, accepting diversity, the nature, being a global hub for airline travel etc.

However, after careful observation, and travel around the USA and the World, the last few years, I am starting to feel like I was lied to my whole life.

I find the Bay Area to be one gigantic suburb with horrendous traffic (Similar to Los Angeles, but more expensive)

It is a massive sprawl, and the BART system does not resolve that by any means (i.e. no BART to Silicon Valley, no walk ability for BART stations in the suburbs)

Its infrastructure is horrendous compared to other states I've been to (North Carolina, Northern Virginia etc.)

Run down freeways/highways, excessive dirtiness. I almost view the SF Bay Area (and probably California in general, excluding San Diego) as a diverse rich region meshed with a third world/developing country feel. Similar to a place like Sao Paulo, Brazil.

San Francisco is not even a global city, it is a tiny wannabe Chicago or something, that is so small it's hilarious. Everything closes super early and the 'Rat Race' feeling you get here, is so real, its unbelievable.

People say, that, if the SF Bay Area was cheaper, they would 'Love' to stay. I'll go as far as saying that this area to me is so overrated, that even if they dropped the rent prices to the equivalent of Mississippi, I still would want to not be here. The traffic is terrible, and it is just miles and miles of suburbia. (excluding, SF, Oakland, Berkeley)

The only (2) aspects I agree with, that I heard growing is up, is that the Mild Winters are unprecedented to any other place I've been in the World. The weather here cannot even be beaten even on a global scale in my opinion. No excessive cold, and no humidity, it is a marvelous climate.

Also, there is beautiful nature in lot of other places. I was recently in North Carolina, and the nature there is fabulous, and the local infrastructure is much better, and there is a lot less traffic (even though traffic
could still be bad)

My parents are immigrants to this country, so I am grateful for having had the opportunity to grow up in such a diverse region, but I think it is severely overrated (other than the weather, which is a huge selling point for some people, including myself tbh)

However, after traveling to places like Paris, London, Dubai etc. it seems the Bay Area looks and
feels like a third world country under the guise of possessing high paying jobs and a golden reputation (Silicon Valley)

My favorite cities in the Bay Area are Oakland/Berkeley, but that's about it.

I have not created this thread to troll, nor do I think many people will agree with me. I am sure I will get ridiculed/scolded for this thread, but just wanted to see if anyone out there agrees.

Also, just to reiterate, this has nothing to do with Bay Area cost-of-living, it is simply an evaluation of the region and quality of life (traffic, sprawl, suburbia, infrastructure, overrated etc.)

As I've mentioned, I would probably want to leave here, even if it had the same cost of living of somewhere like Kansas City.

I also realize it is important to be grateful, as this a very 'First World Problem' type thread, I realize there are people in other cities of the world living in severe poverty, boring cold suburban conditions etc. This thread is more intended to get people's opinions, I'm still grateful to be here.
We were at the ball park and I casually ordered three 16 Oz cups of hot chocolate for kids - some watered down semi cold crap was served to me for $24 - as if $500 per night for the hotel room and $100 a night for the parking on top of that was not enough?

The supposedly “good weather” seems to attract more homeless people from all over the country rather than the tourists.

Sight of trash, human excrement and urine pretty common - some streets are like open air toilets. Rampant petty crime with toothless police - A fact kept hidden from the tourists.

The place looks suffocating at times.
Yeah it will be nice to live in this weather all year round but not in Pigeon holes and with so many people around you with a third world feel in many streets.

Even a couple of my software engineer friends at Google could not afford a decent apartment within the city so they ended up living 30 miles away from work.

We stopped by at a couple of Ghirardelli Chocolate, that seemed to be always super crowded and could not believe the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF SUGAR people were putting in their bodies.

We did love the trip to Alcatraz and found Muir Woods exciting - and nothing against those who live there - good for you !! - but personally I don’t think I will ever go back to SF on a vacation trip. Not sure what the hype is all about?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 12-22-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 AM

2,786 posts, read 3,924,794 times
Well, you can't see much of any place in one trip, and you may or may not have seen the best things to see. To fully appreciate any region, you really need to live there IMO. The beauty of the area for me is not so much in the tourist attractions, although some of them are really nice. It's more in the fringes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We were at the ball park and I casually ordered three 16 Oz cups of hot chocolate for kids - some watered down semi cold crap was served to me for $24 - as if $500 per night for the hotel room and $100 a night for the parking on top of that was not enough?

The supposedly “good weather” seems to attract more homeless people from all over the country rather than the tourists.

Sight of trash, human excrement and urine pretty common - some streets are like open air toilets. Rampant petty crime with toothless police - A fact kept hidden from the tourists.

The place looks suffocating at times.
Yeah it will be nice to live in this weather all year round but not in Pigeon holes and with so many people around you with a third world feel in many streets.

Even a couple of my software engineer friends at Google could not afford a decent apartment within the city so they ended up living 30 miles away from work.

We stopped by at a couple of Ghirardelli Chocolate, that seemed to be always super crowded and could not believe the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF SUGAR people were putting in their bodies.

We did love the trip to Alcatraz and found Muir Woods exciting - and nothing against those who live there - good for you !! - but personally I don’t think I will ever go back to SF on a vacation trip. Not sure what the hype is all about?

Old 12-23-2018, 01:02 PM

29,035 posts, read 45,866,340 times
Quote:

No offense, but if you were only doing touristy stuff like Alcatraz and Ghirardelli Square, you really didn't get a good look at the city/Bay Area. There is SO much to see and do, most tourists don't even get a sliver of the full experience - especially if they're going to the stereotypical spots in guidebooks, instead of asking locals what they should really be doing. I'll just say there's a reason we (locals) don't go to those tourist traps very often, if ever.

Alcatraz is pretty cool, I'll admit; still haven't been there in probably 20 years, though.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 9,880,533 times
Quote:
SF only. Not the reason of the Bay Area. My town and surrounding towns and indeed most of the Bay Area are very clean. The title of this thread is "Bay Area" not "SF".

Quote:
Yeah it will be nice to live in this weather all year round
It is.

Quote:
30 miles away is where Google Headquarters is, so not sure why they were looking to live in the city in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland