U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 03:26 PM

29,035 posts, read 45,895,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I just posted those at the request of another poster.
What does moving to and from Oregon have to do with I told you so? It seems it wasn't that they were unhappy with the area as much as they changed life arrangements and her parents lived in the bay area.
No, they left because they were unhappy there... in their words, "It wasn't quite what we expected." He decided to enlist BECAUSE they wanted to leave Oregon, and that was the only way it could work financially. She'll be staying with her parents while he's in basic training, and then I guess will go wherever he is stationed after that.

Point being, a lot of folks think moving is the answer to their problems here. But as my grandmother used to say, "wherever you go, there YOU are."

Quote:
Not everyone would be happy with Ga, but your most legitimate reason would friends and family. I lived in the Bay Area all my life and spent more years there than you've been alive. It's the only place I knew.
I gave Georgia a chance whereas many will not, but they will say how bad it is without really trying it for themselves. They just parrot what some others might say.
FYI: I'm 42 years old; maybe you did live here longer than I've been alive, but I have also been here a LONG time! Originally from Maryland, though, and I have also lived in a few other places (OR, PA, non-Bay Area CA). So I've experienced life outside of the Bay Area, and each place had its positives and negatives. For me right now, however, this is where it makes sense to live. And I'm just saying we need to look beyond the costs, since there are MANY factors that make any region right or wrong for each individual. This might not be what drove you to relocate, but a lot of people do just go "CHEAP HOUSES" and run there without considering anything else. And that's a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 9,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
ROTFLMAO!Flying cockroaches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
What a bunch of hogwash! If you had cockroaches, then try cleaning up your apartment
Easy to see neither of you have ever lived in Austin.
I've never seen any cockroaches in Sunnyvale, and certainly not the flying variety that I would see all the time in my apartment in Austin. It doesn't matter how much you clean up and keep things tidy over there, they keep showing up.
So why don't you guys try a little bit of research first instead of jumping to conclusions about stuff you don't have any experience with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
If you think bugs don't exist here in the Bay Area, I urge you to start a garden or get some houseplants. That'll change your mind real quick. I just killed a mosquito in my house this morning.
This helps make my point!

Last edited by 80skeys; 12-26-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 04:35 PM

3,443 posts, read 3,702,682 times
Just returned from a weekend trip to Los Angeles and San Diego. No comparison. Outside of just wanting to be close to family, makes no sense to me why anyone would want to call bay area home. Especially downtown sf. Overpriced. Overrated.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
As the Spanish philosopher José Ortega y Gasset said: Todo está en el punto de vista, pero no perdamos la perspectiva. (Everything's in one's point of view, but let's not lose perspective.)
There's facts, and there's personal tastes and we must strive to distinguish them. Arbol que crece torcido nunca su tronco endereza.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM

6,367 posts, read 4,558,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, they left because they were unhappy there... in their words, "It wasn't quite what we expected." He decided to enlist BECAUSE they wanted to leave Oregon, and that was the only way it could work financially. She'll be staying with her parents while he's in basic training, and then I guess will go wherever he is stationed after that.

Point being, a lot of folks think moving is the answer to their problems here. But as my grandmother used to say, "wherever you go, there YOU are."

FYI: I'm 42 years old; maybe you did live here longer than I've been alive, but I have also been here a LONG time! Originally from Maryland, though, and I have also lived in a few other places (OR, PA, non-Bay Area CA). So I've experienced life outside of the Bay Area, and each place had its positives and negatives. For me right now, however, this is where it makes sense to live. And I'm just saying we need to look beyond the costs, since there are MANY factors that make any region right or wrong for each individual. This might not be what drove you to relocate, but a lot of people do just go "CHEAP HOUSES" and run there without considering anything else. And that's a recipe for disaster.
Oh, you didn't include that part where they said that.
Actually I realize outside of friends and family, your job situation is unique in that it will be hard to get your salary elsewhere so I understand that it really makes no sense for you to move at this point, but perhaps after you retire.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When your income is nearly half a million annually, that's nothing.
The majority of people in the Bay Area, including engineers and high tech, earn far less than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Overpriced. Overrated.
Overpriced yeah. Overrated no. The things most important to me are safety, jobs and weather and I've got all three of those in spades here in Sunnyvale.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:16 PM

1,366 posts, read 891,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This helps make my point!
How? You're claiming the Bay Area doesn't have bugs.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
How? You're claiming the Bay Area doesn't have bugs.
You said you "killed one mosquito this morning." There's plenty of places where that would be cause for celebration. I'm saying there are way fewer problems with bugs here, and any that do exist are way less noticeable. This is what people care about when they talk about whether an area has a bug problem or not.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 PM

6,367 posts, read 4,558,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Just returned from a weekend trip to Los Angeles and San Diego. No comparison. Outside of just wanting to be close to family, makes no sense to me why anyone would want to call bay area home. Especially downtown sf. Overpriced. Overrated.
The few times I thought of moving back to Ca when I got financially secure after moving away it was not coming back to the Bay Area, but to So Cal, particularly San Diego. I go back to the Bay Area multiple times and when I go back it loses just a little more lustre each time.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:56 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,922,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The few times I thought of moving back to Ca when I got financially secure after moving away it was not coming back to the Bay Area, but to So Cal, particularly San Diego. I go back to the Bay Area multiple times and when I go back it loses just a little more lustre each time.
The only part of Ca I still like is the middle. Santa Barbara, SLO, Paseo, All the rest is crap or overrated. San Diego isn't even that great anymore. It's turning into a mini LA to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland